What 4 pin HEI module you you all use?> - Chevelle Tech
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 1:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

What 4 pin HEI module you you all use?>

Summit has the usual suspects, Accel, Pertronix, etc. THis is to replace a module in a harness Dave Ray made, just in case the MSD craps out using his mag trigger distrib.

Any preferences?

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 1:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage
Re: What 4 pin HEI module you you all use?>

Used this a couple of times no has failed so far and they claims made in us? Sometimes nos ac delco modules pops up if you can want.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Chevy-Ig...-/321379120140
427L88 likes this.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 1:39 PM
Senior Tech Team

The module shown in malibu's post IS the much used good "GM 990". Good stuff. NAPA TP45 is also good.
427L88 and LeoP like this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 1:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I keep a Napa Echlin in the glove box in case my MSD module fails but it never has. I would use the Echlin if it weren't for the built-in rev limiter on the MSD. Remote mount the coil and you may never kill a module.

I've never noticed a performance difference between different brands.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 3:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Gene,the used Dave Ray small body HEI I bought has a Delphi module in it.
I had it at 6600 this past weekend at the track,no issues

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 5:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

NOT AN AD, just info. When Gene and I built his MSD Trigger only conversion, I also built him a stand alone totally remote HEI setup, with HEI module and input/output/ground wires, with alligator clips on their ends. This allowed Gene to use a real world timing light, and no dial back when he wanted to set, alter the timing in the system, then go back to the MSD when he was done with it.

For me, serviceability is essential, the more versatility, the better.

Later on, it donned in my ancheint, old fart backfire head that this setup could be made as a stand alone setup for any of my MSD Trigger Only conversions, if someone wanted to go back, to an HEI from an MSD, simple. There is a picture of what I came up with on the website, but that one doesn't have the alligator clips to temporarily attach it.

As far as any HEI COIL, I am a firm believer, from decades of hands on experiences, that the remote mounted, oil filled round coils are the best to use. From way too many HEI module failures with the epoxy coils in the caps gong bad, slowly causing both their, and module failures, I use the oil filled coils, and the module failure issues virtually stopping when the in cap epoxy coils are changed out. I have a 1986 GMC Safari with 4.3 V6 and factory 5 speed. It used to take an EFI HEI module and coil out every year, just stops dead on the road. In 2010, I had a module and coil fail, and replaced the EFI-HEI module with the same standard one I had always used, and the coil with one of them I use, oil filled round, for my small-body conversions. This van is used for a senior citizen's food program, it carries the canopies, tables, facilities for distribution, is my pickup truck, and goes about 30K per year, and it hasn't farted, belched, hiccuped in all these last almost 10 years. It even gets better fuel mileage than the old epoxy coil did.
427L88, davewho1 and BigBlockLover like this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 5:42 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

What all is required for a remote coil on an HEI? Just a new coil and a new cap with a coil wire to connect them? Well, and a little rewiring.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 7:20 PM
Tech Team

I use this one for daily drivers GM cars with HEI, will wakes up any HEI.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dui-000222/overview/
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 19, 8:13 PM
Senior Tech Team

Mmmmm.....$55.00 for a decal, let me run right out and squander that money.

Rich, both Mallory (now owned by MSD/Holley), and MSD made coil covers that moved the coil out of the cap on the large cap HEI. Past that, one had to run the two wires, power in BATT, and signal TACH from the side of the cap to the new remote mounted coil, and a coil wire, which most better parts stores carry pre-made sections of coil wires that will work with the kit. I don't remember ever seeing a coil wire supplied with either kit.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 1:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
What all is required for a remote coil on an HEI? Just a new coil and a new cap with a coil wire to connect them? Well, and a little rewiring.
You need a modified hei dust cover.
https://www.holley.com/products/igni.../parts/8401MSD
And a low resistance bushing.
https://www.holley.com/products/igni...nts/parts/8412
+an external coil.

Made in USA according to fast and jegs?
https://www.jegs.com/i/FAST/244/730-0050/10002/-1
I have both the old cranes(Made in us on the box) and a new fast.
Or chrome
https://www.jegs.com/i/FAST/244/730-0060/10002/-1

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 1:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

I have an old msd wiring diagram from a magazine.
Second picture is of a setup I did with msd distributor and HEI module in the link in my post above. It was not finished in the picture.
Last picture is a setup I have in the trunk of my msd box fails, will just take a couple of minutes to hook up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B506A157-CB60-48A6-A41D-727AF32E5860.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	605748   Click image for larger version

Name:	6D746823-A496-436E-B1ED-4C7D5E1C4BDF.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	605750   Click image for larger version

Name:	0DB660DD-9823-4430-988A-1F2058645E1C.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	605752  

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 6:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

Dave, I ought have shown the folks what I was referring to. Marcus, that's pretty impressive sir! I wouldnt have figured it out w/o Dave's expert assistance. Dave's harness is pictured. I was going to dig Dave's instruction set up, but now I dont have to. THNX MARCUS! It is pretty simple, two wires to the mag trigger, two to the coil,and one hot lead to bat.

I asked Dave to build me something that provides a fail safe for the MSD box when he built me a mag trigger distributor. ( now installed on the Mark Jones 467. ) Geez, I've had this since, what Dave 2002-2004?

I used it once Dave in 2015, when the MSD failed. The HEI holder got wicked hot, put a nice 2nd drg degree burn on my hand, and then it failed. I **ASSUME* it was due to a bad ground. ?? Anyway, there is a fat ground strap back there now, so that should not be an issue. But I want to replace the module before it goes into the travel kit. PS, ought I use dielectric grease between the module and the jig you built?

I'll say this about the MSD/Dave Ray ignition system, it fires up within one rev, meaning almost immediately. This engine does not crank, it just FIRES!

Thank you all for the replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dave Ray harness.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	605754  
mr 4 speed and Malibu ss 64 like this.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 7:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Member
Gene

PS.... Marcus, thank you for the Ebay link, I picked one up. I'll have Old Red's travel kit ready for the first snow next week.
LeoP and Malibu ss 64 like this.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 8:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I don't use a module, I use the iron single points distributor. The CD box does all the work anyhow it just needs a decent trigger.. I've had a few distributor techs tell me the stock iron distributor triggering a CD box is the way to go..
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 19, 2:27 PM
Senior Tech Team

Techs are usually accommodating to those that ask questions, to bolster sales of whatever they have to pawn off on people. In a GM point distributor, function is EXACTLY the same no matter if the distributor body is cast iron, aluminum, bubble gum, or silly putty.

Gene, yes, grounding is critical for the HEI modules, and a bad, dirty, corroded ground will allow heat buildup from increased ground resistances. Yes, di-electric grease under the module works, I go a bi farther, I use the special heat leaching compounds for under computer parts, seems to transfer heat better than the stuff that comes with a new modlue. Just my preference.

I see no difference in the Crane/FAST coils over the oil filled PerTronix (the epoxy PerTronix is pure junk, though), nor other extremely good stock OEM oil filled round coils available.

Although the coil changeover shown is good, I build my own coil transfer devices for the tops of the large HEI's I get conned into working on. Mallory and MSD both made virtually the same kit as shown, great quality, works well, but, I don't like the way the wire terminal to button spring bar is set up, nothing to keep it firmly in its curvature and place, except its own metal strength. Just my preference. Main thing is to get that epoxy coil out of the cap.

Keep it up, guys, you got this nailed down right.
mr 4 speed, 427L88, LeoP and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in