Spark Plug Upgrade - Chevelle Tech
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 8:34 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Spark Plug Upgrade

Looking for a plug and gap recommendation. I'm just running the $1.50 AC Delco R44 XLS in my 454 with 390 heads off a 67 vette. Is there something better out there to try while I'm at it? Ignition wise, I'm just running the msd pro billet and blaster coil and doing timing control through the Fitech.

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with ISKY Hyd Roller cam (at 050 218 int./228 exh, lift 530 int./552 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, 3.73's, UMI Suspension, Viking coilovers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 9:09 AM
Tech Team
Harry

Re: Spark Plug Upgrade

No Recommendations, but...,

I have a big cam, 9.6 to 1 compression, and I have aluminum Edelbrock heads and went from a Champion RC12YC to a hotter RC14YC (40 gap) and put in a hotter thermostat - I can't remember if it was a 180 or 195. With my MSD digital 6 plus and the HEI coil, this allowed me to clean up my idle more. A better burn at idle, I could lean it out more, close the throttle blades a little more and get rid of any smell. The idea is to get the aluminum heads at the optimum temperature for burning fuel at idle. Also, running a vacuum advance at idle helps a lot for drivability with a big cam.

Note: I have a huge griffin radiator that never gets hotter than the thermostat even with the air conditioning on.

Note2: If you have iron heads with big compression, this may not work for you, going to a hotter plug and hotter thermostat can easily give you pre- detonation, so, you have to be careful...
mdelgado likes this.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 9:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelgado View Post
Looking for a plug and gap recommendation. I'm just running the $1.50 AC Delco R44 XLS in my 454 with 390 heads off a 67 vette. Is there something better out there to try while I'm at it? Ignition wise, I'm just running the msd pro billet and blaster coil and doing timing control through the Fitech.
My 11 second certified stock appearing SS454 LS6 runs those $1.50 AC Delco plugs too.
mdelgado likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 9:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

For everyday use those buck fifty plugs are fine. For extremely modified engines, it would be a different story.

As long as they light the fire, you're good.
mdelgado likes this.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 10:06 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelgado View Post
E3 Diamond Fire

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...rsistYmm=false
mdelgado likes this.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 10:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I don't think there's a nickel's worth of difference between spark plugs, personally. I've always used NGK V-powers, they're under $2. UR6s in my 496. Nothing wrong with AC or Autolite. Old timers will tell you Champions belong in lawn mowers.
mdelgado likes this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 10:27 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Mike, while I'm sure the Chinese $1.50 plugs are fine, I prefer a non-Chinese Jap plug for my Chevelle. Believe it would be an NGK GR5 or BPR5ES ( race maybe?) I gap .045 for MSD, and .037 w/o.
mdelgado likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 10:28 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
Sorry, those are overpriced gimmick plugs.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 11:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
Sorry, those are overpriced gimmick plugs.
Agreed.

The only time I feel it's beneficial to use a fancy plug is if it is specified by the OEM or it's very difficult to change. Ever change plugs on a 4th gen Camaro? A longer lasting iridium plug would extend services but not increase performance.

I have extensive experience with motorcycles and any advantage you can get is worth it's weight in gold. If a plug change gives you ten HP in our cars you may not feel it on the street. If that same plug gave you one HP on a bike you WILL feel it (speaking single cylinder 60 HP). So positive changes are far more pronounced the smaller the scale and it's way cheaper to experiment with single cylinders. I've tried most of the "high zoot" plugs over the years and found exactly zero gains. Good news is I'm only out maybe $15 when I go back to my NGK V-Power. But the shame of being suckered again does sting a bit.

The owner of an independent shop I worked for years ago was a driveability wiz. He showed us on an oscilloscope the difference between brands of plugs. His opinion, which was proven on the scope, was that NGK plugs had the cleanest and most consistent spark pattern. Not that the others were "bad", they just weren't quite as consistent. He could tell what plugs were in a car just by looking at the scope. Absolute wizard.

That's the long way to say that any name brand plug is as good as another but my preference is NGK. Because science, not hyperbole.
davewho1, boyd66k20 and mdelgado like this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 12:28 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Re: Help with new crate engine overheating

And that was back when ACDelco and Autolite weren't made in the same factory in Guangdong. Heck, as far as I know, the NGK's may be made there as well nowadays.
mdelgado likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Thanks for the insight. I've only run AcDelco and NGK's so far. I guess we'll stick with what works and stay away from the laser platinum triple Iridium quadruple electrode plugs .
427L88 and davewho1 like this.

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with ISKY Hyd Roller cam (at 050 218 int./228 exh, lift 530 int./552 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, 3.73's, UMI Suspension, Viking coilovers.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 12:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

E3's shroud the firing end of the plug, junk.

As far as spark plug gap, THE MAXIMUM, NO MATTER THE PLUG, NO MATTER THE IGNITION SYSTEM, NO MATTER ANYTHING ELSE, NO MATTER THE PLANET THE CAR IS BEING DRIVEN ON......045 MAXIMUM.

My self, I prefer NGK and Auto-Lite.

Engine temperatures, cast iron block, cast iron heads, 180 deg/F., cast iron block, aluminum heads, 195 deg/F. Reason: aluminum dissipates heat a lot faster than cast iron does, so, a slightly higher temperature helps retain correct combustion chamber temps. A plug temp will only help burn temperatures if they are either too hot, or, cold, and is mostly set by the compression ratio, and the heat dissipation ability of the combustion chamber.
davewho1, paul bell and mdelgado like this.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 1:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
E3's shroud the firing end of the plug, junk.

As far as spark plug gap, THE MAXIMUM, NO MATTER THE PLUG, NO MATTER THE IGNITION SYSTEM, NO MATTER ANYTHING ELSE, NO MATTER THE PLANET THE CAR IS BEING DRIVEN ON......045 MAXIMUM.

My self, I prefer NGK and Auto-Lite.

Engine temperatures, cast iron block, cast iron heads, 180 deg/F., cast iron block, aluminum heads, 195 deg/F. Reason: aluminum dissipates heat a lot faster than cast iron does, so, a slightly higher temperature helps retain correct combustion chamber temps. A plug temp will only help burn temperatures if they are either too hot, or, cold, and is mostly set by the compression ratio, and the heat dissipation ability of the combustion chamber.
I'm running cast iron heads, and the 390's Vortec pro's estimation put me around 9.8:1. I am running a 160 degree t-stat, so that may be too cold. Any heat range recommendation?

67 Chevelle 454, M21
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 2:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Why do you want something other than the 44's you are using?
mdelgado likes this.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 3:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
Why do you want something other than the 44's you are using?
Just time to swap mine out and figured you guys would know what's best, so I'd ask you first.
davewho1 likes this.

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in