52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 67 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 9:48 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Re: Spark Plug Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
ET conscious stock class drag racers sometimes index them for an advantage. Stock class racers might modify spark plugs for an advantage too.

BTDT in both cases.

Theoretical engineers? I doubt it.
I'm familiar with theoretical physicists, but have never heard of theoretical engineers. What do they do, and where are they employed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 20, 9:54 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
So, making some statement that the spark travels from negative to positive was just idle misinformation. Flies in the face of polarity for ignition feeds into systems that are polarity sensitive, isn't it.

Kinda makes the polarity an issue with just how the travel into and out of the spark plug operates, doesn't it.

Then, why didn't YOU say so, Mr. Design Engineer. I am a full fledged Design Engineer as well, have been for over 40 years, but you woold have people not believe any of that, would you.

As far as indexing spark plugs, ABSOLUTELY YES, good to do, but, unless the heads were flow pattered wet flow, so you know exactly where the most optimum index spot in the fill area is, it is all for naught. Lets think about a flow path that is to one side of the bend of the electrode, with the electrode directly in the way of the maximum mixture path, that would be bad. Now, IF you could index the spark plug negative electrode so the open area on the plug was open to that maximum mixture path, that would be GREAT. Now, has anyone that information on mixture densities in the spark plug indexing area, done while the heads were WET FLOWED, or, are all those ports and mixture flow paths still secret, simply because the cylinder head porter guru never heard of, nor even cared to learn about wet flow, and just where that billion cfm's of mixture went, or, only dry flowed the ports, so he doesn't know anything more than utterly useless flow information??

We haven't even touched the surface yet, lots more to consider why it is done so incorrectly by people that just don't think about things, they only want to be a guru at what they know very little, to nothing of how it really works.

Ever watch patterns of fog movement in slow moving air, like while driving down a road, one can learn basic patterns and other significant things about wet flow of a liquid. Dry air, one learns nothing about how a liquid laden air flow, and patterns operate at all.

I'll leave it all at what it is, and what it isn't, I have other things to do on the world championship road race engine development work I do. Testing is very close on the horizon.
Would you care to translate that first sentence into understandable English?

You're an engineer. Be specific in your description.
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 6:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

I stated that all spark plugs are not forced to fire from negative to positive, as YOU stated as fact some dissertations of misleading info further up in this chain. It is proven fact that not all spark plugs are fed with current run paths of negative to positive movements. You made the statement about the only one direction firing polarity, I DIDN'T.

Now, nobody took me up on the J gapping? I am verklempt. J gapping was done to unshroud the positive electrode in a spark plug, to allow for the spark kernel to hit more fuel molecules, by removing most of the flat end of the negative electrode. Simply done, the part of the negative electrode that was obscuring the center electrode was cut back for most of the diameter of the center electrode. The remaining negative electrode bar made it look like the letter J. This was usually good for a tenth or so per run, but, electrode wear increased exponentially, because the spark occurred on one edge of the center electrode only, not all around the round edge of the electrode, because there was no electrode left to randomly fire spark around the center electrode diameter.

Most older racers drove the cars on the street, then raced on weekends. They'd leave the plugs alone for the week, then, before the race, cut the negatives into J gaps, race, and then put another set of plugs in for two weeks later, the next race. We see quite a selection of spark plugs today that are J gapped, but in today's plugs, there are more than 1 negative electrode that are J designed. E3's have three, the first two negative electrode plugs I mentioned above were dual J gap, and on, and on. We even use a 2 bar variation of them to negative electrode NGK racer plugs in the Yamaha M7 1,000 cc inline MotoGP 4 stroke engines of today. We make an easily tunable 290 to 385 or so horsepower in those engines, in a minimum 285 pounds weight motorcycle, and the engine is docile enough to ride the bike back and forth to work, the market, Sunday ride.

The only spark plugs that aren't negative electroded, are the NGK BUHX, and Champion UL17V and UL19V Surface Gap plugs, they have literally NO negative electrode, the spark runs between a center electrode and the hole on the plug body. I just saw an ad for those Surface Gap plugs being touted for 4 stroke auto engines, that isn't what they like, Surface Gap plugs are for electronic CDI ignitions, and two stroke outboard engines. Seems anybody in the spark plug business will say, over hype advertize, and/or do anything to sell product, who cares if it works, or, not.

post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 6:34 PM
Tech Team

ZL, you cannot defy the laws of the universe. To try will only waste your time and effort.

'71 chevelle, 468, TH400, 12 bolt posi w/3.08's, drinks a lot of 87 octane.
post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 9:28 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ZL1 View Post
Would you care to translate that first sentence into understandable English?

You're an engineer. Be specific in your description.
Dave, I'm still waiting for an English translation of your first sentence in post #55.
post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 9:34 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8440 View Post
ZL, you cannot defy the laws of the universe. To try will only waste your time and effort.

I suspect you are correct.
post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old Today, 1:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post

Most older racers drove the cars on the street, then raced on weekends. They'd leave the plugs alone for the week, then, before the race, cut the negatives into J gaps, race, and then put another set of plugs in for two weeks later, the next race.

Even though the modified spark gap was only worth about .010 in ET, and indexing plugs was only worth about .010 ET, I considered it time well spent since it only involved time, and not money. The spark plugs that wouldn't index correctly in my engine would be used through the week on customers daily drivers. I only cut the gaps after indexing. Win-win.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in