Spark Plug Upgrade - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 5:08 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Spark Plug Upgrade

Headers, big block, air conditioning....that #8 plug is a huge bitxh to change. I cross referenced to NGK Iridium plugs. Unless some other reason dictates it, I ain't changing that plug.
mdelgado likes this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 9:29 PM
Senior Tech Team

Please read what I wrote, I wrote it that way because that is the way it works, no need to re-confirm what I already wrote, I don't think.

I do not use Iridium type spark plugs in anything but what they are designed to work in, the hotter sides of multiple spark plug emissions cylinder heads. That means, NOT in American engines.

There was just a discussion about a certain type of spark plug for American engines, totally not workable for what they are being pushed on today. Anyone ever have a two stroke outboard engine that used a very strange spark plug, a "surface gap" type? The firing end of the plug is flat, looks a pancake, with a center electrode and a full round band of porcelain around it, in a large hole in the end of the body, NO side ground electrode.

We spoke of these plugs and what they were, what they were used in, their history, function, and other things, in the topic, which was about heat ranges, plug gaps, and these spark plugs are extremely cold, and only designed for serious electronic CDI ignition systems, battery powered in two stroke engines. My experience with them comes from their being used in the original 1969 thru 1971 Kawasaki H1 500cc two stroke triple cylinder motorcycle street bike engines. The last time I saw these plugs, was in one of those ads that pop up when you are on some sales site, for one of the online speed shops, about 10 months ago, touting them as THE answer to all spark plug problems...in YOUR, and MY auto engine.

It really doesn't take much these days to take something that is going its correct way, and derail it so far off track, it really isn't funny, by a very small bit of misinformation, intentional, or, not.
mdelgado likes this.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 9:55 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
I do not use Iridium type spark plugs in anything but what they are designed to work in, the hotter sides of multiple spark plug emissions cylinder heads. That means, NOT in American engines.
Iridium spark plugs are currently used in GM, Ford and Chrysler V8 engines-which I believe qualify as American engines.

Iridium spark plugs aren't that much different than a standard plug-except the electrodes are coated with a metal that highly resists wearing away. It's not an emissions thing.

Otherwise, the spark they produce is the same as any other spark plug.

You posted asking for people's opinions, I'm happy to discuss and share, you are free to make your own decisions about your spark plugs. You're welcome and best of luck to you.
Jeff65SS and mdelgado like this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 10:05 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

FWIW, the guy who did a dyno tune on my 06 GTO recommended replacing the OEM iridium spark plugs with basic NGKs just one heat range hotter than OEM. He said they will be more consistent (which fits with other comments here). They will need to be replaced more often, but they are inexpensive as well as being very effective.
mdelgado likes this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 9:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Sorry for the rookie question, but if I wanted to go one heat range hotter than stock for the NGK's and AC Delcos, what Plug # is that? I'm not poking fun, but if I don't have a part # or make/model/year, my local parts employees usually aren't much help.

oops, I originally said R44's and I just did a search again and they're R43XL. I searched for a 1967 427 vette since they're 390 heads.

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with ISKY Hyd Roller cam (at 050 218 int./228 exh, lift 530 int./552 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, 3.73's, UMI Suspension, Viking coilovers.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 9:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

A 43 is colder than a 44 in AC. So 44 would be the next hotter.

In NGK it's opposite. A GR4 is equivalent to AC 45. A GR5 would be colder.
mdelgado likes this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt

Last edited by Tommy the Cat; Oct 10th, 19 at 9:48 AM.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy the Cat View Post
A 43 is colder than a 44 in AC. So 44 would be the next hotter.

In NGK it's opposite. A GR4 is equivalent to AC 45. A GR5 would be colder.
Thanks Tom!

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with ISKY Hyd Roller cam (at 050 218 int./228 exh, lift 530 int./552 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, 3.73's, UMI Suspension, Viking coilovers.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 10:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

No problem. The GR4 seems to fall between 44 and 45 but is the next step hotter than the GR5 that is closest to the stock 43.

I hope that all makes sense. It's annoying that NGK heat range goes down when the number goes up. I'm not a smart man and doing counterintuitive math to pick a spark plug makes my brain hurt.
davewho1, boyd66k20 and mdelgado like this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 12:50 PM
Senior Tech Team

OH, PLEASE, EVERYTHING done these days is directly related to EMISSIONS. The GM large HEI came into existence to give an ignition system that would not change in any way for a service interval of 50K miles with NO maintenance, as were other things along the way, and it was stated that Iridium spark plugs were designed to live a longer life. YES, so EMISSIONS do not change during the service life of the spark plug.

As I said, we, yes, ME, and a few other great people designed the large HEI to meet long service life emissions regulations, as many other parts were, and are, INCLUDING IRIDIUM SPARK PLUGS. Since I don't work on later model American engines, I don't have a care about what they have had infest them with useless junk, like Iridium spark plugs.

I am not stupid about current technology, it mostly doesn't apply to earlier engines, and I don't much care about new stuff that doesn't work, like things like E3 spark plugs, Iridium, and other uselessness..
davewho1 and mdelgado like this.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy the Cat View Post
I don't think there's a nickel's worth of difference between spark plugs, personally. I've always used NGK V-powers, they're under $2. UR6s in my 496. Nothing wrong with AC or Autolite. Old timers will tell you Champions belong in lawn mowers.
This....never noticed anything about pricy plugs that was better.
Went back to a simple Autolite. As you said all it has to do is spark I dont think any of them are magic.
mdelgado likes this.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 1:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Probably a useless FWIW,but something to think about:
I have been drag racing and street driving my car with the same AC Delco plugs for the last 3.5 years. Last time I changed them (changed them just because) it made no difference in ET or MPH at the track.They didn't look bad either.
davewho1, hydro462 and mdelgado like this.

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 19, 7:40 PM
Tech Team
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bell View Post
Headers, big block, air conditioning....that #8 plug is a huge bitxh to change. I cross referenced to NGK Iridium plugs. Unless some other reason dictates it, I ain't changing that plug.
No kidding... I have 2 inch headers, air cond. tall valve covers, etc... 15 min. to change 7 plugs and another 15 min. just to change #8.

For number 8, I use a standard spark plug socket and remove the rubber insert. This makes it easy to insert and gives you more side to side movement. Then I get a straight wrench and turn it switching back and forth with the open side to give me the ability to re-grab. I also have aluminum heads and always use anti-seize on the threads. This insures that you can use your first and second finger to both screw on and and screw off the plug when loose. No way to get your thumbs in there.
LeoP and mdelgado like this.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 9:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I use Atlas C36R4 plugs. I bought a case of them on e-Bay for pennys years ago for my Pontiac 455 and turns out they also fit my 1978 454 w/781 heads..

The only time a plug change made a difference for me is when the plugs were loaded with lead from that gasoline we used back then..
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 19, 10:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdca View Post
No kidding... I have 2 inch headers, air cond. tall valve covers, etc... 15 min. to change 7 plugs and another 15 min. just to change #8.

For number 8, I use a standard spark plug socket and remove the rubber insert. This makes it easy to insert and gives you more side to side movement. Then I get a straight wrench and turn it switching back and forth with the open side to give me the ability to re-grab. I also have aluminum heads and always use anti-seize on the threads. This insures that you can use your first and second finger to both screw on and and screw off the plug when loose. No way to get your thumbs in there.
I'm assuming since you can get the wire boot on the #8 plug you can get a foot long piece of rubber fuel hose on it. In cases like this, once the plug is loose I'll put the hose on it and run it out past the headers where I can get my hands on it and thread it out. Works just as good putting them back in too. It's just a flexible extension for your fingers. Heck, I do it like that even when the plugs are easy to get to.

Give a try if you haven't already.

70 Camino...Roller

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in