HEI Limiting Mechanical Advance to 10? - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
 83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 99 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 2:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: HEI Limiting Mechanical Advance to 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptop72 View Post
I'm not going to judge one way or another, but I was always taught that in all but the most radical street engines, if it runs better without vacuum advance, you were just crutching some other issue. Take it for what you paid for it.
Some high HP/TQ builds that have over 10:1 compression with very high cylinder pressures might not tolerate that extra 10-15* of timing at part throttle. Not worth the gamble. No crutch there.
GuysMonteSS and SSJohn like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 99 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 2:35 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
Some high HP/TQ builds that have over 10:1 compression with very high cylinder pressures might not tolerate that extra 10-15* of timing at part throttle. Not worth the gamble. No crutch there.
There are vac advance cans that drop away timing at the drop of a hat (well, slightest throttle opening). Sounds like that one is a better application in that situation

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Scott
post #48 of 99 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 2:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

As far as having "expertise" in mechanical systems, I work on flyball-governor controlled steam turbines. The mechanical control system is simply amazing in that it does everything a modern digital electronic system does, but it controls with changes in oil pressure from the flyball governor.

Vince's simple "stop bolt" that is ground with an oval shape makes it simple to set your total centrifugal advance. Then you pick the correct spring to control the speed of the advance.

"KISS" comes to mind. It works, and it does it with simplicity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Advance-stop.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	603074  
hydro462 likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior

post #49 of 99 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 3:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I did the same think as Vince did and it works perfectly. I have 12 degrees mechanical that's all in by 2600.. I run22 initial.. With low compression, a 160 thermostat and hi test it runs like a charm.. I love how powerful it is right off idle while going up and down the hilly back roads.
mr 4 speed, 69-CHVL and SSJohn like this.
post #50 of 99 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 4:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
I did the same think as Vince did and it works perfectly. I have 12 degrees mechanical that's all in by 2600.. I run22 initial.. With low compression, a 160 thermostat and hi test it runs like a charm.. I love how powerful it is right off idle while going up and down the hilly back roads.
Especially since you don't have high-compression, I think you are giving up about 3-4 mpg by not adding 10-14 degrees of vacuum advance.

Engines like about 45-52 degrees advance at light load cruising.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #51 of 99 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 8:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ray View Post
Lets see, almost every after market large HEI manufacturer has adopted the 41/375 set as their default curve parts, NOT their specific curve kits, but what they put in the distributors they sell. I guess it is too hard to contact one and ask if they are available separately.

Decades ago, I developed bushings that fit over the pins in those distributors, so they could be set up for start/limit points, NOBODY wanted them. And, a plate that went between the reluctor and top of the shaft, with a screw set on each side, to allow easy adjustment, but, NOBODY wanted it, either.

So, instead, because it was "easier", we got welding, brazing, jam a screw in place, rip, tear, hack, and not much good of it.

Is setting the curve and start/limit points easy on the coil in cap HEI, HECK NO, doing it right requires the correct combo of parts, not hacking it all up.
Your kidding me right? You berate everybody for modifying or "hacking" their curves for something better, yet YOU "jam" bushings and/or some kind of hacked-up plate to make things adjustable and that's OK?????

I'm done.
hydro462 and SSJohn like this.

*69 SS 502 EFI /224* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90/ 4000lbs RW 11.5/124mph
*11 C6, 6.2, 6spd
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
post #52 of 99 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 7:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Lightbulb Re: HEI Limiting Mechanical Advance to 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-CHVL View Post
Your kidding me right? You berate everybody for modifying or "hacking" their curves for something better, yet YOU "jam" bushings and/or some kind of hacked-up plate to make things adjustable and that's OK?????

I'm done.
Vince, here's what I did.. Use this forums version of Preparation H..

1-Hit the User CP tab at the top of the page.

2-Hit the edit Ignore list tab, its the 10th one down on the left side.

3- Put the name in there and they disappear.

4- Enjoy having fun with your car again. Some people are not into this for fun like we are...
post #53 of 99 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 1:49 PM
Senior Tech Team

What a crock of BS from a couple of you. I developed two different stop setups for large HEI, NOBODY WANTED THEM. You get on my case for saying it, and continue to flame away at me.

lets remember one thing about the coil in cap HEI, IT WAS NEVER DESIGNED TO BE A PERFORMANCE IGNITION, IT WAS DESIGNED TO BE A FULLY SELF CONTAINED EMISSIONS IGNITION.

Too bad some of you refuse to realize that is just what they are, there are much better performance, and even stock type ignitions than a large cap HEI.
post #54 of 99 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 2:17 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
What a crock of BS from a couple of you. I developed two different stop setups for large HEI, NOBODY WANTED THEM. You get on my case for saying it, and continue to flame away at me.
Perhaps if you'd explain what made your stop set-up work different than a simple screw stop, we'd understand a little better. If nobody knew what made it different than a screw as shown above, that could be why nobody wanted them.
post #55 of 99 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 2:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Guy

Garage

Quote:

lets remember one thing about the coil in cap HEI, IT WAS NEVER DESIGNED TO BE A PERFORMANCE IGNITION, IT WAS DESIGNED TO BE A FULLY SELF CONTAINED EMISSIONS IGNITION.

Too bad some of you refuse to realize that is just what they are, there are much better performance, and even stock type ignitions than a large cap HEI.

Man,you need to check that attitude...
Guy
77 cruiser and SSJohn like this.

'86 Monte SS,
513 Stroker,
AFR CNC'd 315 heads,
Custom Bullet solid roller,.706, 285/293-255/263 @ .050,110 LSA,UDHarold's lobes.
Isky .904 EZX Roll lifters,
Thanks to Mike "Wolfplace" Lewis,
Weiand Stealth intake,ported & gasket matched,
825 Mighty Demon,tuned by jmarkaudio,
2 inch Hooker Headers,(Coated),
Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,w/a couple of cryo treated gears,
9 inch rearend,
Hurst Vertical Gate II In Line Shifter,
TC Member # 4921
post #56 of 99 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 3:02 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:

What's your definition of a performance ignition? Be specific!
post #57 of 99 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 3:14 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post

Every internal combustion engine has a combustion burn rate that is dependent upon the cylinder pressure/VE. Any engine timing curve that does not modify the spark advance over the range of cylinder pressures is putting the LPP at inefficient crank angles, and just pissing away fuel mileage, cooling efficiency, and throttle response.

My engine is over 10:1 CR, and with how much time and money it cost me to build it, I don't gamble with its performance and longevity. It gets the expensive oil and a proper timing curve, which includes a vacuum advance canister to reduce exhaust valve temperatures at light loads.
LeoP and novadude like this.
post #58 of 99 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 3:35 PM
Tech Team

Some of you are discovering what I found several months ago: A person can claim to know all the stuff that won't work, which leads you to ask that person what DOES work. You then find that said person won't simply answer the question. For example, let's suppose the person in question told you about a category of coils that are failure prone. One might be tempted (indeed, I was) to ask that person what coils are NOT failure prone. No answer is forthcoming. I did a bit of looking around and discovered that I was not the first person to ask that basic and obvious question to no avail, nor have I been the last. I don't know WHY the person won't answer that question, only THAT they won't. Hence, my earlier remark of "it is what it is and they do what they do". You won't likely get anything helpful on specifics of coils that are good, only which ones aren't. There's something peculiar psychologically going on there, but I'll be damned if I know what it is.

'71 chevelle, 468, TH400, 12 bolt posi w/3.08's, drinks a lot of 87 octane.
post #59 of 99 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 3:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I developed two different stop setups for large HEI, NOBODY WANTED THEM

Based on the comments here, there would be some kind of market for them.
ZZ69chevelle and GuysMonteSS like this.

post #60 of 99 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 4:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Decades ago, I developed bushings that fit over the pins in those distributors, so they could be set up for start/limit points, NOBODY wanted them. And, a plate that went between the reluctor and top of the shaft, with a screw set on each side, to allow easy adjustment, but, NOBODY wanted it, either.

I do. This would be very beneficial when I want to go drag racing and lock out advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in