Team Chevelle banner

High Torque Mini Starter

8K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  DwadeCham 
#1 ·
Trying to find the right starter. So much information out there I like to get it from people with my car and experience.

I have a 68 Malibu. Recently had the engine rebuilt. It is a 327 block but they put a 350 crank in it. Has a cam. Not sure what as I type this. Looking to install a high torque mini starter and then the engine builder wants to advance my timing a little. I am just looking for guidance and trying to get some opinions on what is out there and what people have experience with.

Thanks!
Wade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Reactions: DwadeCham
#4 ·
I got a Powermaster starter for my chevelle. After dealing with their customer service I would not go with anyone else. I had a few issues with getting my car to start properly and they spent hours working with me tracking down wiring issues, sending me new starters and just great customer service. It took a couple of weeks, but we got all of my issues worked out and I could not be happier. It starts my car on the first crank almost every time.

#6 ·
I am confused about what will work with my engine. It is not original. It is a 327 from ‘69 I had rebuilt. They put a 350 crank in it. So will almost any small block starter work? Sometimes on Summit when I put in all my info it says something won’t fit.

#7 ·
There are different flywheels.
The 168 and 153 tooth are the most common ones.
I don't believe they are interchangeable.
You need to determine which one you have.
And yes I have had very good luck with longevity,knock on wood,:thumbsup:
Guy

#8 ·
PMGR starters may as well be magic. They have a 7:1 inline gear reduction that allows them to spin up very easily.

The major outward differences are that the one needed for a 153 tooth flywheel takes one long bolt and one short bolt that are oriented 90 degrees to the length of the starter. A 168 tooth flywheel uses a starter that has two bolts that are the same length, and are offset at pretty near 45 degrees from the length of the crankshaft. The website I had bookmarked listed the differences, and which one to use with an HEI and which one to use with a points distributor, but it went away in the last few weeks. One more thing, get the correct bolts to mate the PMGR starter with the block you are using. PMGR starters have metric size holes in them, and garden variety starter bolts are american sized bolts with american threads and knurled locating areas that match the block, and will not keep the starter aligned correctly if they are mismatched. Less then ten bucks will make a hell of a difference, especially since you are gonna need new bolts anyway.

#11 ·
Here's a recent post about a guy who's mini-starter caused him a lot of problems.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/18-engine/1089148-starter-continues-grind-could-use-some-help.html

He had the type of mini starter that comes with that big aluminum block hung onto the front of a foreign car starter.IMO those are the kind of starters to avoid.Around Post # 38 he tells of the outcome of the new PMGR starter he bought to solve his problems.
How about a new PMGR starter from your local Walmart ?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/NEW-MINI...PONTIAC-JEEP-Long-Short-Mt-10461445/198530977
That isn't the starter he bought but it's one just like it.Its made by a company called "Rare Electric" but sold through Walmart automotive.Part number Mt 10461445 new bolts included.

P/S--If your starter mounts with bolts straight across from each other it's a 153 tooth flywheel if the bolts are at an angle from each other then it's a 162 tooth flywheel.
No matter what starter you choose make sure to buy the correct knurled starter bolts.

#17 ·
I would question the cam. Do you plan on drag racing the car? If its all street, I would want a cam with less duration and more lobe separation (112-116). Look at "overall horsepower". A long duration cam in a street engine is misery. I chained so many engines down that I now hate that lumpy idle sound lol...

#22 ·
I’m sure how to answer that. I’m out of my league here but trying to learn.

He just told me he was struggling to get the timing right and he wanted me to upgrade starter and install an advance curve kit and then bring it back. Those would allow him to advance the timing more than what he was able. The engine cranks but I am assuming it is much higher compression that it was before.

#27 ·
I went with a mini starter out of a GM minivan as it was suggested on this site as a fix for a heatsinc issue I was having with the original. 327 stock engine with headers. Has done the trick, have not been stranded since. I do find it noisier then the original but will gladly put up with that.

#32 ·
DwadeCham,

I started this thread with my nightmare aftermarket starter issues some weeks ago. It was mentioned in a previous comment.
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/18-engine/1089148-starter-continues-grind-could-use-some-help.html

I was convinced by many on the forum to buy a remanned Delco/Remy PMGR starter. I did, and it solved all my issues.

This is starter I purchased through eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Starte...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Comes with a 1 year warranty.

The shims that come with this starter are for the staggered hole starters (BBC), so they are useless. You may need to purchase some straight hole shims, local parts stores will have them for a few bucks.

It comes with very poorly machined knurled bolts. I used ARP knurled bolts instead, they were nice and tight for location. Buy once, cry once:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-430-3515

The starter bolted right up to my 1st gen 350, cleared my long tube hookers, and engaged great with my 153T RAM flywheel.
Turns over PERFECT. Really quietly too!! And didn't require any shimming!!

I daily driver my 68 El Camino. 15k+ miles a year. Probably put about 400-500 starts on it since I purchased it in late June. Drove it a couple hundred miles in 108* weather the past couple weekends. Not one hiccup!

I will never purchase another aftermarket starter again! NEVER!

Thanks again to the great members here at chevelles.com for the help!

#34 ·
i ran a couple of diffrent brands on my big block, the problem i had was starter getting hot and would'nt crank until it cooled down, went with hitachi mini starter and have'nt had a problem since, its a hitachi brand not just hitachi style... did run some "hitachi style" but don't remember what brand and had this problem with them.....

Chevy V8 SB Block, V6 AT & MT High Performance Starter | Northern Auto Parts

#35 ·
Ok. Got under the car today. Wanted to get some rear end codes and starter info. Here is the starter info and pics.

The pet number is: 1108368 delco Remy. Is that enough to determine the teeth? I have searched online and don’t find a definitive answer but I feel like it’s 153.

Here are some pics

#36 ·
That starter only fits on a 153, so you're correct.

#38 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.