High Torque Mini Starter - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 10:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: High Torque Mini Starter

Many people are unaware that most starter manufacturers offer a different solenoid for GM engine starters, one that has the ignition bypass terminal on it. Usually only have to ask for the solenoid you prefer, with, or, without R terminal..
71350SS and DwadeCham like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 9:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I would question the cam. Do you plan on drag racing the car? If its all street, I would want a cam with less duration and more lobe separation (112-116). Look at "overall horsepower". A long duration cam in a street engine is misery. I chained so many engines down that I now hate that lumpy idle sound lol...
DwadeCham likes this.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 9:52 AM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
Nice !!! Dan,how's that starter working ? I'm getting ready to pick-up a PMGR starter for the Big block buildup thats taking forever.but the good thing is with the starter I can at least use it with the 406 SBC till the 468 BB is done.
It works fine. Works alot better when you have a good battery My battery was starting things up, but crapped out a little while ago. with a new battery it spins the crap out of the engine. I was concerned that a $30 starter might be a POS. But spending more doesnt always mean you get a better piece. I actually bought a spare. I have 1 in the MC, and if i was doing something that required the starter coming out of the Camaro, i would put the spare one in there. Amazing how much lighter, and smaller these starters are.
71350SS likes this.

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 1:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
I would question the cam. Do you plan on drag racing the car? If its all street, I would want a cam with less duration and more lobe separation (112-116). Look at "overall horsepower". A long duration cam in a street engine is misery. I chained so many engines down that I now hate that lumpy idle sound lol...

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...x?csid=87&sb=2

This is what the engine builder put in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 1:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwadeCham View Post
12-246-3 - Xtreme Energy?

This is what the engine builder put in it.
230/[email protected] on a 110 LSA is decent size cam for a 327-350 CID
Should run pretty well if the converter, gearing and timing curve are "right on"
DwadeCham likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 2:21 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Trying to find the right starter. So much information out there I like to get it from people with my car and experience.

I have a 68 Malibu. Recently had the engine rebuilt. It is a 327 block but they put a 350 crank in it. Has a cam. Not sure what as I type this. Looking to install a high torque mini starter and then the engine builder wants to advance my timing a little. I am just looking for guidance and trying to get some opinions on what is out there and what people have experience with.

Thanks!
Wade

Why wouldn't a regular GM starter not work on that engine?

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 2:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post

Iím sure how to answer that. Iím out of my league here but trying to learn.

He just told me he was struggling to get the timing right and he wanted me to upgrade starter and install an advance curve kit and then bring it back. Those would allow him to advance the timing more than what he was able. The engine cranks but I am assuming it is much higher compression that it was before.

post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 4:22 PM
Tech Team
Paul

I've had really good luck with DBelectrical. Very reasonable and good to work with, https://www.dbelectrical.com/starters/
DwadeCham likes this.

Paul J
'69 El Camino SS
396 CI,Hooker Super Comps
TH400, HEI, Performer Intake, 750 cfm
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 6:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:

Quote:
Iím sure how to answer that. Iím out of my league here but trying to learn.

He just told me he was struggling to get the timing right and he wanted me to upgrade starter and install an advance curve kit and then bring it back. Those would allow him to advance the timing more than what he was able. The engine cranks but I am assuming it is much higher compression that it was before.

I think I know why.I think your engine builder knows that the newer PMGR starters (permanent magnet gear reduction) starters that are out there on the market are better designed,lighter AND stronger than the regular old starters that we used to reluy on back when these cars were new.Also sounds like he recommending a HD starter and to find a HD starter designed to fit the smaller flywheel may take some time and cost more than a standard starter.So when there's brand new PMGR starters readily available why not go to a mini-starter.I'm only speculating here but I've R&R'd a bunch of these type starters on newer cars & trucks and I'm always shocked at how light these things are yet they keep on working.
Maybe that's why ?
The only thing I would add is if you buy a mini-starter that needs a big block of aluminum adapting a standard toy Tercel or Nissin sentra starter to your Small Block Chevy then IMO you bought the wrong starter.
DwadeCham likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 7:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
It should work fine. But the PGMR starters are a class above. They offer better header clearance and that in itself helps negate heat related starting issues. Further their design also helps negate the same heat induced starter issues. The planetary design allows it to crank over faster and with more torque than a standard starter. All win/win situation.
DwadeCham likes this.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 8:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
I think I know why.I think your engine builder knows that the newer PMGR starters (permanent magnet gear reduction) starters that are out there on the market are better designed,lighter AND stronger than the regular old starters that we used to reluy on back when these cars were new.Also sounds like he recommending a HD starter and to find a HD starter designed to fit the smaller flywheel may take some time and cost more than a standard starter.So when there's brand new PMGR starters readily available why not go to a mini-starter.I'm only speculating here but I've R&R'd a bunch of these type starters on newer cars & trucks and I'm always shocked at how light these things are yet they keep on working.

Maybe that's why ?

The only thing I would add is if you buy a mini-starter that needs a big block of aluminum adapting a standard toy Tercel or Nissin sentra starter to your Small Block Chevy then IMO you bought the wrong starter.

Have any suggestions? I just want to get the right one. Going to look this weekend and determine if I have 153 or 168.

post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 9:16 PM
Team Member

I went with a mini starter out of a GM minivan as it was suggested on this site as a fix for a heatsinc issue I was having with the original. 327 stock engine with headers. Has done the trick, have not been stranded since. I do find it noisier then the original but will gladly put up with that.
DwadeCham likes this.

Dunc

'Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you' - unknown
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 10:37 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I didn't know the 327 had headers

post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 11:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
I didn't know the 327 had headers
Neither did I. In my post #25, I was making a general statement.

Dwade didn't mention anything about having a heat related starter issue he just needed a starter with more fortitude. PMGR is the answer.
Dean and DwadeCham like this.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 19, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
Neither did I. In my post #25, I was making a general statement.

Dwade didn't mention anything about having a heat related starter issue he just needed a starter with more fortitude. PMGR is the answer.

I do have a set of hooker headers on now. I havenít had much issue with starting. It is a little weak at times. Mainly the builder wants for some reason to advance my timing a bit.

He rebuilt with the above mentioned cam, headers, etc. I have along list with a hefty price tag at the end of it. I had my power glide rebuilt with a 23-2800 stall torque converter and a Classic Holley 750. May be over carbed a bit but that is for another post. For some reason when I picked it up he just said he had difficulty getting the timing set where he wanted. He thought installing the advance curve kit and high torque starter would allow him to advance the timing a bit more and get me some bigger power at lower rpms.

Either way I feel like it is a good upgrade and something I can install myself. I am so new to all of this and itís overwhelming and exciting at the same time. Thanks for all of your comments and input.

DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in