• 2 Post By boyd66k20
  • 1 Post By boyd66k20
  • 1 Post By hjdca

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 4:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Garage
MSD plug wires

Just thought I'd give my opinion on a new set of MSD plug wires, for those that might be considering these.
I didn't want red wires under my hood (looks like a circus) but MSD makes a black set as well.
These wires are about $80 and that's twice the cost of most but I thought I'd take a chance and see. Dealing with Amazon, you can always return them.

Super conductor wire set PN- 31373- for BBC- socket style for old school distributor caps with the female ports, 8.5 mm BLACK, with gray boots.
Lowest resistance at 40-50 ohms per foot. (allot of others are around 500 ohms)
High EMI suppression
Dual crimp terminals for a strong connection
The boots can be bent for header clearance and they stay bent.

The quality is excellent, assembled in Mexico. The clearance is great with the bendable boots. The bite on the spark plug is excellent. Overall, worth the extra money in quality. Not too much room left with the bigger boots on the distrib. cap, but they fit. They also give the plastic numbers for each wire that fit up near the cap as well. I have the wire looms and only had a problem with #7 and the steering shaft, as it was very close to the loom. I left that wire out of the loom. Here are there lengths
#1 and 2-39"
#3 and 4- 36"
#5- 29"
#6- 28"
#7- 27"
#8- 26"
I have a 6al box, blaster coil from 10 years back, and an MSD distributor. All are over 10 years old and perform beautifully. Never a problem.
Yes, all these MSD parts cost more than most, but from my backyard, they never miss a beat.
Boyd
Malibu ss 64 and hjdca like this.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 6:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1
Thumbs up Re: MSD plug wires

Pssst - there is an Ignition forum now:

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/374-ignition/

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 6:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Garage
Re: MSD plug wires

shift it over
davewho1 likes this.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 2:09 PM
Senior Tech Team

Any good set of magnetic suppression, spiral, or "Magna" core wires will work the same. The best of the bvest used to be Borg-Warner "Select" series wires, they have a new sub-name now, never had any issues with any of those I have used.

B-W makes almost all the wires sold under all the different names in this country.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 19, 4:21 PM
Tech Team
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd66k20 View Post
Just thought I'd give my opinion on a new set of MSD plug wires, for those that might be considering these.
I didn't want red wires under my hood (looks like a circus) but MSD makes a black set as well.
These wires are about $80 and that's twice the cost of most but I thought I'd take a chance and see. Dealing with Amazon, you can always return them.

Super conductor wire set PN- 31373- for BBC- socket style for old school distributor caps with the female ports, 8.5 mm BLACK, with gray boots.
Lowest resistance at 40-50 ohms per foot. (allot of others are around 500 ohms)
High EMI suppression
Dual crimp terminals for a strong connection
The boots can be bent for header clearance and they stay bent.

The quality is excellent, assembled in Mexico. The clearance is great with the bendable boots. The bite on the spark plug is excellent. Overall, worth the extra money in quality. Not too much room left with the bigger boots on the distrib. cap, but they fit. They also give the plastic numbers for each wire that fit up near the cap as well. I have the wire looms and only had a problem with #7 and the steering shaft, as it was very close to the loom. I left that wire out of the loom. Here are there lengths
#1 and 2-39"
#3 and 4- 36"
#5- 29"
#6- 28"
#7- 27"
#8- 26"
I have a 6al box, blaster coil from 10 years back, and an MSD distributor. All are over 10 years old and perform beautifully. Never a problem.
Yes, all these MSD parts cost more than most, but from my backyard, they never miss a beat.
Boyd
I agree. These are great wires. I have the red ones. The boots are a perfect length, allow a great hand grip, they are bendable, and they stay bent. In addition, I have not seen the boots discolor from header heat. Mine have been on about six years and they still look brand new. I have taken the boots on and off the spark plugs many, many, many times and they are all still tight and give that nice snap when they go on. You cannot go wrong with these wires. Here is a pic that shows how you can bend the boots to fit right between the headers and stay clear of heat. I routed mine "high and wide" and chewed up some of the "extra length" at the distributor, then, I used spacers to make it look clean.

LeoP likes this.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 8:39 AM
Senior Tech Team

I've been using the MSD 8.5 wires for the last 20 years on my race engines. I used the red and the black. These were the universal cut to fit length and I never had a bad wire in multiple sets on that car with an MSD 7AL-2 plus box and Pro Power coil. I actually just took the last set I took off the race car last year and put them on my SS 396 car.

Ray

Best pass 8.87 at 150.98 1.212 60'. Sold 3/2018

1970 SS 396 project in progress. Bought 5/2018
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 9:46 AM
Senior Tech Team

Boyd, let's see that engine and wires!

I use Granatelli zero Ohm solid core wires, they have a ferrite ring on them that eliminates RFI and they have a lifetime warranty and are US made.

Here's the results of some tests done a few years ago over at LS1tech:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire resistance 8-20-16_zpseb1woifr.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	598016  

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in