driveshaft vibration... - Chevelle Tech
Top Tech Reference Tech Articles

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 00, 1:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Okay, I have a driveline vibration that is driving me nuts. I think its the driveshaft but I am not sure. The trans is rebuilt so I dont think thats it. I took the shaft to have it balanced and that helped out some. Since then I have replaced both u-joints with no luck. A while back I had the plug in the rear of the front yoke welded in to stop it from leaking, would it have been possible that the heat warped the yoke and is causing the vibration? And its not a bent rim or the engine its self cause it does it even when I shift into neutral. Please help, this is driving me crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 00, 2:27 PM
Tech Team

Since you mention that yolk, did the vibration start when you had it welded? That would be the next thing I'd try, especially since it shouldn't cost much.

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 00, 5:24 PM
Tech Team

Big yellow, this may not be your problem but I went through the same thing 2 years ago. I had my shaft shortened and rebalanced and rebuilt a 12 bolt posi all about the same time, so figuring out where the vibration was coming from was difficult. As it turns out, the driveshaft shop did a poor job of rebalancing the driveshaft. It was still out of balance when I took it back as a last resort.

------------------
1970 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker. Houston, Texas...Gold Member #39
Keep America Beautiful - Drive A Brute Force Chevelle!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 00, 5:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have had the driveshaft shortened but it was fine after that for a while. It seems to me that it did start sometime after I did have the yoke welded and before all the rest of the stuff. I wanted ya'lls opinion before I went and bought a yoke. Also if I decide to get a yoke, where could I get one? And how much would an average price be?

[This message has been edited by bigyellow (edited 01-16-2000).]
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 00, 5:46 PM
Tech Team

Have you checked your drive shaft angle?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 00, 6:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

No I havent checked my driveshaft angle but I didnt have a problem before so I dont know.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 00, 8:02 AM
Tech Team

If you've changed u-joints since you had it balanced, you may need to have it balanced again. Even if welding the hole in the yoke caused anything, a good driveline shop should be able to cure that when they balance it. Another thing that could be causing it is the rear yoke on the diff. If the cup area is worn it could cause the rear joint to be a sloppy fit in there. Take the whole car to the driveline shop and have them check it out.

------------------
70 & 1/2 RS Camaro
SB406 & M20 4spd
9" Rear
70 Malibu
SB350 & TH400

Gold Member # 103
Driveline Technician

[This message has been edited by Scooter (edited 01-22-2000).]
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 00, 11:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Phil

When do you get the vibration? Above 35mph? Is it a steady state vibe or does it fluctuate(fade in & out)? check your u joints again and make sure the u joint yoke can rotate freely in the caps even a small sticky spot can give you a vibe.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 00, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech Team

Bigyellow, I think the answer lies in that the balancing " took care of some of it".

I got quite a dissertation from Denny at Denny's Driveshafts, my stock shaft was beyond balancing so he built me one.

Most shops don;t have the equipment to allow them to balance at above 2000 rpm. It's quite possible that your vibration, possibly up in the yoke area, isn't readily apparent below that rpm. So it was a partial solution.

Either find a better shop in your area or call Denny's in Buffalo. ( Or a replacement shaft from a yard, which I couldn;t find for my 67).
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 00, 12:40 PM
Tech Team

I'm wondering if snow427 isn't on the money. I have a high speed vibration that hasw a surging sound to it. I never noticed it until I took the entire drivetrain out and rebuilt it. This is because I didn't feel like going 90MPH with the old tired drivetrain. My uncle who was some sort of district service rep. for chevrolet(who drove a 70 LS6 for a company car, damn him!) told me to check the driveshaft angle. The angle between the shaft and the u-joints is supose to have the same degree af angle between them. He said a oldsmobile dealer found out these angles didn't always match causing some vibration. It is suppose to be common to all A-body cars. The fix was adjustable upper control arms available through the dealership at the time. I have not had any luck trying to find some and may just go with hotchkis ones, but they are $300. This apparently was not a common known thing at the dealers so I guess that probably explains why it has been impossible for me to find original ones, and if I do they will probably cost just as much if not more because of they are kind of "rare".
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 00, 4:15 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Send a message via Skype™ to marooned
I have the same problem with my 96 extended cap chevy pick-up. the driveline has a 4 degree window that it set to. If you put too much weight in the bed, say 1000 pounds I get a driveline vibration when taking off.
GM knows about the problem but does't have a cure.FYI

------------------
1965 Chevelle
Maroond
The Motors done.. workin on the body now.

http://www.geocities.com/mmnorm/
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 00, 3:20 PM
Tech Team

GET YOUR DRIVESHAFT CHECKED!!! Yesterday (Saturday the 22) I took my car to a local speed shop to get a chassis dyno pull. They strap the car on, and let her rip...around 6300 RPM a noise like a gunshot POW!. The driveshaft yoke on the rear-end section gave and the result was an EXPLODED (Read blown into multiple pieces) Driveshaft. Apparently it was out of balance..... Also, if you ever get a driveshaft welded or shortened or whatever on a Hi-Po car, pay a little extra and have the welds magnafluxed..

------------------
66 Big-Block Chevelle Houston, TX ACES#3321
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 08, 6:35 AM
Ryan

Question Re: driveshaft vibration...

I have the same problem.....
I am going to look at all the ideas listed...
Do you have solid motor mounts and tran mount...
For some reason I think that the solid mounts may have something to do with my problem...
Not sure but it is a thought...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old May 1st, 08, 8:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chris

Re: driveshaft vibration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevellessman496 View Post
I have the same problem.....
I am going to look at all the ideas listed...
Do you have solid motor mounts and tran mount...
For some reason I think that the solid mounts may have something to do with my problem...
Not sure but it is a thought...

Check this thread.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...79#post1816879
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 08, 5:51 PM
Ryan

Re: driveshaft vibration...

i found the problem..... it was the solid motor mounts.... it took most of the vibs out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2855 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.