Chevelle Tech - View Single Post - Fuel Guage. Getting close, still not working
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 04, 7:35 PM Thread Starter
djshakes
Tech Team
Tim

Sorry if I am unclear. Yes there is a two prong connector at the back of the gauge in the dash, one brown, one black. I disconnected that connector so I could get an Ohm reading at the dash from the sending unit. Nothing. The black must be the ground for the guage? The sending unit, in the tank, is fine. It is new. Ohm reading tests fine at the terminal. I pulled the sending unit out of the tank, connected the ground and tested the unit. Arm down, 0 ohms; arm up, 90 ohms. Maybe these two questions will clear things up.

1. Is my guage bad? When I pull the brown wire from the sending unit, the guage reads full. When I fill my tank it reads 1/4 now that I replaced the sending unit. When I unplug the two wire connector from the back of the guage it reads full, when I attach the black wire to the guage, it reads empty. Can I run dumby wire from the guage to the sending unit terminal to test the guage?

2. If my guage is good, how many wire connections are there for the brown wire from the sending unit to the guage? I know there is one in the trunk and it connects the brown wire to a wiring harness similar to the wiring harness in the steering column (flat and thin). Where else is there a break in the connection from the sending unit to the guage. I am going to have to take ohm readings at each connection to find a short if there is one.

The mighty hand of vengeance sent down to strike the unroad worthy.
1965 Chevelle SS - Numbers matching

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome