Detailing & Cleaning Detailing & Cleaning info and Q&A

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Garage
clay barring recommendations

Is one brand of clay bar as good as another (I have only used Mothers thus far).

When you clay bar your car, what are you steps start - finish?

Do you mask / tape off areas?
Do you bar glass? Chrome? Stainless trim?
Are there interior parts that'd benefit from a clay bar, say, maybe the aluminum insert on the console?
I know you can claybar base/clear, can all paint types benefit?

I'd love to hear the dos/don'ts and tips from ya all.

Ron
'87 Camaro IROC-Z L98
'69 300 Deluxe SS396

My GM Canada Documentation

Founding member of The CanAm Chevelle Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 1:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: clay barring recommendations

Clay bar is abrasive and becomes more abrasive as you accumulate contaminants in the clay. It will leave micro scratches. Its main purpose is to remove contaminants before any polishing or swirl removal.

I only use it on paint if the paint doesn't pass the plastic bag test.

I try not to mask anything off. I'm afraid I could rip off paint and cause more problems. My 96 has rubber window molding, I will mask this off with just about any product or process I apply to the paint to avoid discoloration and a lot of work to restore it's color. Again, I try to keep the tape off the paint to avoid ripping off paint.

I'm sure there are benefits of its use in other applications or areas where surface contamination exists.

Bow_Tied and davewho1 like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 2:53 PM
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

I've been using Meguiar's Clay Bar for years, and have had great results with it. I bought a new 2018 Equinox last summer and the paint finish almost felt like sandpaper from getting hosed of and drying in the sun on the dealer's lot. I clay barred it and it was smooth as glass, then waxed with Meguiar's Tech 2 wax. I haven't had to clay bar my Chevelle.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 19, 6:03 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

The daily driver, which is black, gets the clay bar treatment every spring, after a winter of road salt and other indignities. Wash the car first with something like Meguires Gold Class car wash. Next break out the clay bar. They say to only use the lube that is included with the clay bar kit, but in a pinch you could use spot detailing spray. Constantly check the bar for any contaminants that you can see or feel, and knead the bar often or you will be grinding the contaminants back into the paint. I really don't see any need to use it on bright work but you could. You could also try it on your glass if you find it to be stubborn to get clean. I really don't see anyplace where it would be appropriate on any interior pieces. I never mask anything, I just pay attention when I do it freehand. You must wax after using a bar because it strips off any wax. On my black car I used to finish it with Liquid Glass, but they stopped selling it around here. Since then they have opened a Chemical Guys detailing supply store in neighboring Pickering, so I bought some of their brand of specific Black Luminous Glow Infusion. Today the car has about 250k & 9 years of daily driving and it still looks practically new. On the news today they said that they will have dumped 11 to 13,000 tons of salt around the city.

"The more you know,
the more you realize you don't know." - Dad

My Showroom
TC Gold #120
My completely stock 67 Malibu Sport Coupe 6 cyl
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 10:29 AM
Tech Team
Jim

look into a clay bar rag.
A lot easier on the hands and washable.
Just as effective and covers more surface area in a shorter amount of time
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 19, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkar26 View Post
look into a clay bar rag.
A lot easier on the hands and washable.
Just as effective and covers more surface area in a shorter amount of time
I'd never heard of clay rag or clay mitt before; thanks for the tip!!

I found this I thought others might like to read that compares these: https://www.lenosgarage.com/blogs/ne...r-vs-clay-mitt
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Ron
'87 Camaro IROC-Z L98
'69 300 Deluxe SS396

My GM Canada Documentation

Founding member of The CanAm Chevelle Club
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 19, 9:36 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

That is a good video. I have been using clay bar for years but had not even heard of a clay mitt. Has anyone tried one and how did you like it compared to clay bar? Also with a mitt I am sure certain brands are better than others.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 2:42 PM
Senior Tech Team

I've been using the nanoskin autoscrub as an alternative to clay. Seems to work well, and is easier to use (IMO). Other's make the same kind of deal (surf city, etc)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 2:56 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
On the news today they said that they will have dumped 11 to 13,000 tons of salt around the city.
Cam... Back in December, I was on the 401 east of YYZ when they had trucks out spraying the nasty liquid pre-treat stuff. Glad I was in a rental car, as one of the nozzles on the truck was pretty much blasting everything that passed in the adjacent lane.

Nasty stuff. I would imagine that liquid pre-treat full-strength is worse than conventional salt. Glad I don't see those spray trucks around here!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 9:01 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I am intrigued by the clay mitt. So I did some research by reading reviews by users of various brands of clay mitts. Saw many favorable and unfavorable reviews on mitts. My take is it doesn't do as good of a job as the clay bar although it sounds like it is quicker. Trying to decide if I want to try one.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 11:32 AM
Tech Team
Jim

If you drop the clay while working with it, pretty much game over for that clay. If you drop the mitt, itís washable.
claying the first time takes the longest. After that itís a lot faster and less work in year two, etc. just use lots of clay lube. I use Optimum No Rinse as a lube, detailer, rinseless wash and spot cleaner. Itís great and smells good too.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 10:26 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

So what brands of clay mitt have you used and your opinion on those. Just became aware of the Optimum product. Could see using jt as a clay lubricant and a detailer but am not sold on the no rinse wash. Maybe for someone that lives in a condo or apartment and only other option is a self serve car wash but think I will stick with a hose.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 12:43 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
So what brands of clay mitt have you used and your opinion on those. Just became aware of the Optimum product. Could see using jt as a clay lubricant and a detailer but am not sold on the no rinse wash. Maybe for someone that lives in a condo or apartment and only other option is a self serve car wash but think I will stick with a hose.

I was skeptical too until I used a rinseless wash for the first time. They really work
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Restomodded 1970 Chevelle SS
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 2:14 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

So after watching a video on the ABN clay towel/mitt I saw they have a clay polishing pad for a random orbital polisher. I have one of those and use it for polishing and waxing. Lots of luke warm reviews on that. Seems like many said the clay polishing pad dried out quickly and left clay streaks on the paint.

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Clay-Medi...ews-filter-bar
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 12:40 PM
Tech Team
Jim

yeah, I wouldn't trust that pad. looks like it would be easy to muck things up if you don't have a lot of lube (that's what she said)

clay barring doesn't really take a lot of elbow grease, so it's not really fatiguing on the arms.

no need for a power tool for this job

Restomodded 1970 Chevelle SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in