3" Exhaust Recommendations - Chevelle Tech
Headers and Exhaust Discussion related to Exhaust systems and headers.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

3" Exhaust Recommendations

Good morning gentlemen. I am shopping for a 3" exhaust system, preferably stainless, for my 69SS. I currently have a 2.5" Magnaflow system that I installed in about 2008 when I was still running a 427. I want 3" for the ZZ502 I have in it now. Another problem is the local Gestapo revenue collectors (police) are going insane with ticketing for nearly everything even remotely loud. I was stopped in my ZL1 and threatened with a excessive noise ticket even though the car is 100% stock. Took a bit to convince the idiot that the exhaust was original and told him I would get a letter from the dealership certifying my statement that I would use in court if he ticketed me. He then backed off. Now, my 69 is pretty loud with the Magnaflow exhaust so I don't think the 3" version would quiet it down at all. I don't like the drone of Flowmasters. If I have to run a restrictive muffler to quiet it down I will just get electric cutouts for the track. I also want stock looking rear exit tailpipes and can get 3" SS style tips. The local exhaust places are too much $$ and the quality of their work is horrible. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 1:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Garage
Re: 3" Exhaust Recommendations

https://www.jegs.com/i/Pypes-Perform...5L+%2F+396+%29

These even have removable plates to by-pass the mufflers.
Kirk's67SS and SS427Rick like this.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 1:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

This kit is not Stainless but the fit is very nice I have the 64-67 version on my 64 with pypes race pro not quiet but not that bad.

https://www.holley.com/products/exha...e/parts/1040FM

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 2:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post

I like the looks of that one. Will likely get electric cutouts as well. Time to start shopping.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 3:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
OLIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS427Rick View Post
I like the looks of that one. Will likely get electric cutouts as well. Time to start shopping.
QTP electric cut outs had them for 6 years, no leaks ever , I highly recommend them

69SS454 and blue_69_malibu like this.

Oliver
Milano , ITALY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 396 SS monaco orange (72)
468 Vortecpro 585 HP back to street cruiser
M20 4 speed - 3.31
Prosystems 1000
BEST ET 11.62 (with 4.10)
BEST MPH 121
BEST 60 FT 1.64
4000 lbs street car

1969 El Camino Street Strip
467 Vortecpro Tunnel ram 730+ hp TH400
BEST ET 10.67 @ 127 1.56 60FT
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 4:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lew

Garage

Borla XR1 in the big case are pretty good mufflers. I have had them on my car for 25 years mine are the 3.5 inch. The large 16 inch case is a little quieter.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 7:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

This isn't the best forum to complain about cops doing their jobs. Have a great day.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 8:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill

Garage

My Chevelle is louder than it needs to be but I still complain about all of the loud Harleys going by my house.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 8:29 PM
Tech Team
John

I’m not a fan of loud mufflers & exhausts...never have been. The power doesn’t come from exhaust size and lack of muffler buffeting. It comes from the engine and headers!

Ok, I’m old school...but my ‘67 L78 was never pulled over due to exhaust noise back in the ‘60’s & early 70’s b4 I sold it (in a dumb move). It had that clackity-clack engine solid lifter sound magnified by the M/T Super Scavenger headers, using bone stock mufflers & tailpipes. You absolutely won’t find a better sound and it won’t bother the neighbors, unless you put your foot in it....then it’s all engine!

Too bad nobody manufactures those headers today or Im sure more Chevelle owners would certainly have them on their cars today.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 8:46 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:

Bill, that kit doesn't include mufflers.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 9:38 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bell View Post
Bill, that kit doesn't include mufflers.
The product description does look like the kit includes mufflers. I would check first of course.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 10:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Quote:

I have this kit on my car. The Street Pro's are not quiet. I like loud exhaust, but these are not loud. The Violators are loud, and the Street Pro's are in between loud and quiet. I would buy the header extensions, Pypes X-pipe crossover, QTP cutouts, muffler of choice, and 2 piece Flow Master tail pipes (Pypes tail pipes are really a tight fit and I've heard that Flow Master's 2 piece are nice.) The tips I have are Ground Up XET-3213, and these are nice. I use all stainless steel band clamps on muffler and exhaust tips but weld all other connections.

The picture shows the cutout openings with the point down. I bought new Lemon's headers and had to rework my collectors, so I flipped my exhaust over. I haven't put it back in, but I'm sure that I have room to the floor. I also have not bought the electric cutouts because PIMA drains my wallet faster than I can fill it back up.

oliver69 likes this.

'69 Chevelle SS (Back to NOT ON THE ROAD NOW!
)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ
T-56 Magnum trans with hydraulic McLeod RST
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 10:15 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS427Rick View Post
Good morning gentlemen. I am shopping for a 3" exhaust system, preferably stainless, for my 69SS. I currently have a 2.5" Magnaflow system that I installed in about 2008 when I was still running a 427. I want 3" for the ZZ502 I have in it now. Another problem is the local Gestapo revenue collectors (police) are going insane with ticketing for nearly everything even remotely loud. I was stopped in my ZL1 and threatened with a excessive noise ticket even though the car is 100% stock. Took a bit to convince the idiot that the exhaust was original and told him I would get a letter from the dealership certifying my statement that I would use in court if he ticketed me. He then backed off. Now, my 69 is pretty loud with the Magnaflow exhaust so I don't think the 3" version would quiet it down at all. I don't like the drone of Flowmasters. If I have to run a restrictive muffler to quiet it down I will just get electric cutouts for the track. I also want stock looking rear exit tailpipes and can get 3" SS style tips. The local exhaust places are too much $$ and the quality of their work is horrible. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
If you want a 3" Stainless system already plumbed for cut-outs, you'll want Pypes SGA14. They offer 3 muffler types, but the Street Pro and Violator will be too loud for you. The Race Pro mufflers are quieter, but like most straight-thru mufflers, drone might be an issue. You can order the system w/o mufflers and use Dynomax Super Turbo #17665. Those mufflers are long (22") but they will control the noise without drone while supporting 478HP before becoming a restriction. Use Pypes Electric Cutouts HVE10 and their 3" SS tips EVT56 to complete your system.
https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/...change-3-sga14
https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/p/3-dynomax-super-turbo-mufflers-22
https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/...touts-pyphve10
https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/...-super-sport-3
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 3:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

I have a Magnaflow 3" stainless steel system with an "x" pipe which was already installed when I bought the car and frankly, it's too loud....

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 11:09 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
I have a Magnaflow 3" stainless steel system with an "x" pipe which was already installed when I bought the car and frankly, it's too loud....

Claude.
I tell my customers that want a 3" system for the street that "3 inch exhaust" and "quiet" are rarely used in the same sentence, no matter who's mufflers are used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in