Flowmaster drone - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Headers and Exhaust Discussion related to Exhaust systems and headers.

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 20, 1:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Flowmaster drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
Itís even worse than you think! Thatís PVC! But I was just using it for a pic so I could explain it to a supplier.
Rest assured that there is no PVC or black iron pipe in my exhaust system.

PS- you also would have hated my wooden motor mounts that I built before copying them in steel
Hahaha...OK thanks Dennis. BTW, I've used straight thru design mufflers, like the ones from Magnaflow, and they had only a slight drone from 1,800-2,000 RPM. Not bad at all though, and it was rare that I kept the RPM within that narrow window for very long anyway. Right now I'll be installing these Pypes brand RACE Pro Pypes straight thru desing muffs on my Chevelle, which they say are actually more quiet than their Street Pro and Violator muffs are....and even Flowmaster has some straigh thru muffs now too, ( I think they're called their "FX" model, but I'm not sure on that)....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle Pics II 195.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	616002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle Pics II 199.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	616004  

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 1:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
tHE x HELPS SMOOTH OUT THE PULSES, THEREFORE THE TONE, THEREFORE THE DRONE. ( WHOOPS SORRY FOR CAPS)

however, i believe you are experiencing the drone that is typical of chambered mufflers. I never liked it myself. GO staight thru - much different sound. Magnaflow, Walker/Dynomax, etc.
X2 on this. I just switched from Flowmaster super 50's to Dynomax super turbo. What a difference in sound, and NO MORE DRONE. So happy to have made the change. Still has a nice muscle car tone to the exhaust though.
427L88 likes this.

55 Chevy Resto Mod - Sold
99 Corvette - Sold
68 El Camino - L79 Tribute
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 12:33 AM
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

The previous owner of my '67 installed Flowmaster 40's. Terrible drone at highway speeds. Conversation with passenger at highway speed impossible. Local muffler shop recommended Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flow mufflers. No more drone, still nice sound outside, normal conversation now possible. Amazing the difference it made.

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
Hahaha...OK thanks Dennis. BTW, I've used straight thru design mufflers, like the ones from Magnaflow, and they had only a slight drone from 1,800-2,000 RPM. Not bad at all though, and it was rare that I kept the RPM within that narrow window for very long anyway. Right now I'll be installing these Pypes brand RACE Pro Pypes straight thru desing muffs on my Chevelle, which they say are actually more quiet than their Street Pro and Violator muffs are....and even Flowmaster has some straigh thru muffs now too, ( I think they're called their "FX" model, but I'm not sure on that)....
BillyGman- Did you ever get the Race Pros installed and if you did how do you like them? Which size did you use, 14" or 18"?
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 10:57 AM
Tech Team
Greg

Garage

I was a Flowmaster guy for YEARS. Yes they droned and yes it was annoying AF but I lived with it because I was such a fan of their sound. But then I began to notice that EVERYONE and their brother had Flowmasters and it drove me nuts at a local cruise night or car show.

So when I was building my previous car a big block 69 Camaro, I spent a lot of time researching and listening to sound clips of different exhausts. I know a lot of guys don't think this way, but I like my car to sound bada$$. I want a louder, tough sounding exhaust. It's only a weekend cruiser that sees maybe 500-700 miles a year so I'm not necessarily worried if it's overly loud.

I ended up choosing a little known muffler from a company called Spintech. At the time it seemed like nobody had ever heard of them and I have to admit that they sounded NASTY on a cammed big block. They had a great note to them and had no drone at any RPM.

The funny thing is that my car sounded so good that pretty much my entire group of car buddies ended up switching over to Spintech. We've got a nice group we have a 55 Chevy, a 70 Chevelle, a 71 Skylark GS, a 54 Chevy PU, a 66 Nova, a 71 Chevelle, a 69 Chevelle, a 70 Charger, and believe it or not a 71 Maverick that's got a nasty 331 stroker in it. Every one has swapped to Spintech except for the Maverick.

So when I sold the Camaro and scored my 67 Chevelle, it had a 3" Flowmaster exhaust on it. Well I wanted the Flowmaster's gone and yet I didn't want to just go Spintech and sound like all my buddies. So again back to the internet to research mufflers and sound. I ended up trying a relatively new or little known muffler called Black Widow. I chose the Venom 250 series which seems to be a nice street muffler. They're much more of a free flowing design that both the Flowmaster's and Spintech. I listened to a few videos of cammed big blocks and really liked the sound. Yesterday I dropped my car off at a buddies fabrication shop. He's installing my new mufflers as well as tightening up my entire system and running my tails out the rear of the car instead of turning out behind both rear wheels. I should have the car back by Monday and I can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Greg

67 Chevelle SS 138 VIN
468 BB, AFR 265CC aluminum heads, Straub custom hydraulic roller cam, Performer RPM intake, Holley 950 carb, Legend LGT700 5 speed, 12 bolt rear with 3:73 gears, UMI suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 12:26 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_LS1 View Post
Itís even worse than you think! Thatís PVC! But I was just using it for a pic so I could explain it to a supplier.
Rest assured that there is no PVC or black iron pipe in my exhaust system.

PS- you also would have hated my wooden motor mounts that I built before copying them in steel
I just looked at your signature block at the bottom of your post. Running a V-6 in a '66. I'm impressed. Did your engine come out of a Camaro? If so, 360 hp is awesome for a V-6. Good luck, Like to see it when you get it running.

Chris
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 1:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Dennis,
If max HP is not a priority, Walker Quiet-Flow 3 mufflers will get rid of the drone. They don't quiet the exhaust down as much as current OEM mufflers do, but they are a lot quieter than performance mufflers.

I've run Pypes 16 and 18 inch Race mufflers in a Pypes X-pipe exhaust setup and they droned at HWY speeds between 1800-2100 RPM. Neighbors were never fond of the Pypes mufflers either, cuz they do bark. If you want to race on the weekends, assuming all the tracks don't go belly up this summer, the Pypes mufflers are better performers obviously.

That said, the 18 inch Pypes mufflers may not drone too bad on a sedan. I ran them on an El Camino, and the bed acts like a subwoofer for the exhaust system. The 16 inch Pypes mufflers were obnoxious in the cab of the El Camino. My X-exhaust system is over the axle to the rear bumper.

'65 Chev El Camino
SBC350/Maybe 400HP @ crank, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 4150 MPFI
Global West, QA1, Viking, Wilwood, UMI, ProForged
'67 P-11 Norton
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 8:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk500 View Post
I just looked at your signature block at the bottom of your post. Running a V-6 in a '66. I'm impressed. Did your engine come out of a Camaro? If so, 360 hp is awesome for a V-6. Good luck, Like to see it when you get it running.
It did come out of a Camaro. A 2013 with 525 miles. It was rated 325 hp. Maybe 360 was later?
It runs great, except the drone which I guess Iím getting used to.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter 4 Cam V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 8:58 PM
Senior Tech Team

Just saw the V6 in your sig too thats a new one. Like to see a thread on it some time.

Have Ultra flos which are straight through. They drone too id stay away from all the chambered and straigt stuff just go to a good turbo .
CMCE likes this.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 20, 2:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw468 View Post
I ended up choosing a little known muffler from a company called Spintech. At the time it seemed like nobody had ever heard of them and I have to admit that they sounded NASTY on a cammed big block. They had a great note to them and had no drone at any RPM.

If Spintech could make my little V6 sound like a nasty, cammed big block, I would take two !!!

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter 4 Cam V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old May 4th, 20, 11:47 AM

What trans is that ? Sure aint no greasy TH400 . lol.

1968 396/325 SS Chevelle Car. Non original 427 engine now.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old May 4th, 20, 12:03 PM
Tech Team
Roman

I have Delta Flow 50's in my 70 with a healthy 454, H pipe, 3" pipes all the way back & I love the sound - no drone.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old May 4th, 20, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

The transmission is a 6L50E, 6 speed auto.

post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old May 4th, 20, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

I have Flowmaster 50 series on my car, no drone. I wonder if the missing two cylinders are the cause of your drone? I've yet to hear a V6 with loud mufflers that sounded good. My bet would be turbo style mufflers would be the cure for your car. All the recommendations from guys with V8's probably don't apply to your car. V6's just sound different. Maybe see what the Buick GN guys are doing for mufflers? BTW, I love your car, great combo for a driver.

1969 Beaumont
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1977 Bronco
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old May 4th, 20, 12:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
Cats required in Cali ? like already said get some straight through mufflers, I have pypes 3" X system to the bumper with violators with a 454 and isn't as loud and droney as my 96 318 ram with true duels and FM 40's, I really hated those mufflers but they were new in the box at a shop my friend took over and I got them for next to nothing, still hated them

I have the same 3" X pipe system with violators. And I agree..they don't drone. They are nasty ( in a very good way) under WOT but amazingly mild at cruise.
shovelrick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in