Looking for Big Block exhaust system. - Chevelle Tech
Headers and Exhaust Discussion related to Exhaust systems and headers.
Sponsored by: Pypes Performance Exhaust

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 5:07 PM Thread Starter

Looking for Big Block exhaust system.

So reading a few past posts. I have a 396 Big Block, 69 Chevelle. Looking to get a complete exhaust system.

From what i gathered the Flowmaster American Thunder Header-Back Exhaust System 1964-1972 GM A-Body V8
Part Number: 389-17119

seems like the popular choice, unless some better suggestions appear.

What's the best choice with headers, i'm basically just dealing with stock engine.

Also do these fit around the stock crossmember ok?

Last edited by moondog; Sep 22nd, 19 at 5:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 5:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage
Re: Looking for Big Block exhaust system.

I have the # 17119 Kit on my 67 which is mated to a set of
Hooker Headers Competition Headers 396-502 Chevy Big Block V8 # 2455-1

Both installed on the car in late 2006
These Pics were taken in late 2013

And these were taken in early 2018 when I had CutOuts installed

They hang a little lower on the driverside than passengerside

Apparently Hedman Hi Tech Coated Headers # 66002 HTC Ceramic Coated
tuck up better
71350SS, -SS454- and hydro462 like this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 7:51 PM
Tech Team

[QUOTE=moondog;11148690]So reading a few past posts. I have a 396 Big Block, 69 Chevelle. Looking to get a complete exhaust system.

From what i gathered the Flowmaster American Thunder Header-Back Exhaust System 1964-1972 GM A-Body V8
Part Number: 389-17119

seems like the popular choice, unless some better suggestions appear.

What's the best choice with headers, i'm basically just dealing with stock engine.

Also do these fit around the stock crossmember ok?[/QUOTE

Moondog- Go to Classic Muscle Car Exhaust.https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/
They carry complete systems for your Chevelle from Flowmaster, Pypes, and Magnaflow. The 'Exhaust 101' section https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/i/exhaust-101 gives you a good idea who offers what for your car, and there are videos from FM and MagnaFlow which can help you make a decision. In a nutshell, FM has an H-Pipe in both aluminized and stainless, Pypes has both X-Pipe and True Dual systems in stainless, and both offers their systems without mufflers so you can use what you want. Dynomax and other FM mufflers are also offered by CMCE. MagnaFlow offers an X-Pipe system with their mufflers only, and is a very high quality system. The FM 17119 kit you mentioned comes with Super 40 mufflers, which may or may not be too loud for you. There are more choices for the A-Body than for any other vehicles. There are videos with each of the systems to help you decide. CMCE is currently having a sale and shipping is free. And yes, they fit around your stock crossmember.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 8:23 PM Thread Starter

How are the mufflers rate by sound? So the Super 20 mufflers are more quiet than the super 40? I dont know how they are rated. Thanks for the help i'll check out the info. I was hoping to find a package that sold the exhaust & headers and everything together!
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 19, 8:41 PM
Tech Team

Flowmaster- The lower the number, the louder the muffler. 40 and 44 series are aggressive, 50 series (Delta and Super) are quieter and do a good job of killing the drone, and a 70 is a longer Super 50. It's their quietest street muffler that fits an A-Body.

Pypes- RACE PRO mufflers are the quietest and flow the most. They come in two sizes- 14" and 18". The 18" is the quietest.
STREET PRO mufflers are louder than race pros, and flow enough for your Chevelle.
VIOLATORS are self explanatory. They are loud and flow very well.

Magnaflows are all straight through and the longer the length the quieter the muffler. They're fairly mellow when cruising but like all straight through mufflers, they'll bark when the foot goes to the floor.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 1:45 AM Thread Starter

So whats the big difference from the hedman 68298 and the 68198 Headers? Which fit better?
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 6:17 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

68298 are for a small block, 68198 are for a big block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
So whats the big difference from the hedman 68298 and the 68198 Headers? Which fit better?

1972 Chevelle, 454, 2004r non-lockup, 4.10
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 6:27 AM
Gold Member
Gene

moondog, use the smaller tube Hedmans for a near stock engine. I like my 2" Hookers, and they worked for a 7400 rpm 427 and now a 605 hp 467, but the 1.75" primary tubes are more suitable for most engines. Lower torque peak. Fit better in 67s I am told.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 8:43 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

For mufflers I used the Dynomax Super turbo #17749. I go rid of the X pipe too, I hated what it did to the sound of my 454..
SSJohn likes this.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 11:05 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I have the MagnaFlow 2 &1/2 inch stainless on my 69 and am very happy with it. I first ran that exhaust with 1& 7/8 headman Elites and a slightly modifield 396. Am now running that exhaust with a 496 and 2 inch Lemons headers.
The suggestion that I would make is just bolt the system together with stainless clamps instead of welding it. In the 6 or 7 years I have had the MagnaFlow exhaust I have had to remove the exhaust totally or at least partially no less than three times. With the clamps removing and reinstalling was a breeze although I did upgrade some of the clamps after the last time the exhaust was removed. I can't imagine doing that had the exhaust been welded.
hydro462 and spoffie1962 like this.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 11:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
I did upgrade some of the clamps after the last time the exhaust was removed.
I just ordered the Magnaflow system for my 66. What clamps did you upgrade to, Brad?

Yeah, I too want to have a clamp-on system for the exact reasons you stated.

66 Malibu......on it's way back to life as a BB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 1:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I use the stainless band clamps and one zip screw to keep the pipes from twisting..

If you use the old fashioned U bolt clamps that put a crease in the pipe, you will never get the pipes apart so you might as well weld them..
Pete 67 and 71350SS like this.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 1:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Twenty years ago I went with the Flowmaster American Thunder 2.5" system. It came with three chamber mufflers, H pipe crossover, and it was all pretty painless to install. It's still on my car today and still looks good. There weren't as many options back then though like there is today. I can't complain since it hasn't started to rust yet, and I do like the sound. I'm not looking to get every last bit of HP out of my car. Here's a link to how it sounds with a very mild 454 and cheap Hedman 1-3/4" headers. If I had to replace it today, I'd probably go with a Pypes 2.5" system and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers.

https://flic.kr/p/2hiNQJ3
hydro462 likes this.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 1:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

FWIW,I would rather have the Flowmaster system since the pipes are aluminized. I personally don't care for the look of the 409SS since it turns brow and blue and looks horrible IMHO.
Pete 67 likes this.

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 19, 5:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
moondog, use the smaller tube Hedmans for a near stock engine. I like my 2" Hookers, and they worked for a 7400 rpm 427 and now a 605 hp 467, but the 1.75" primary tubes are more suitable for most engines. Lower torque peak. Fit better in 67s I am told.
whats the part number for the smaller tube Hedmans? 63002? or just use stock manifolds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in