Header Reccomendation - Chevelle Tech
Headers and Exhaust Discussion related to Exhaust systems and headers.
Sponsored by: Pypes Performance Exhaust

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Header Reccomendation

I am planning on reusing my 30 year old Hooker Competition headers on the new build. It's a .060" over 454, 10.5:1, ported/polished steel 702 heads, 850 Holley, 0.540"/0.560" lift and 242/248 duration at .050".

The headers have 2" tubes with 3.5" collectors. Is this still a good header to use? I am going tomorrow to see if they can be ceramic coated. They are in good shape except for a fair amount of surface rust.

If these can't be coated, can someone recommend a full length, ceramic coated header that fits good. The car will have a stock ride height, PS, T400 and a Vintage Air compressor.

Thx in advance.

Chris

Chris

1970 SS396 Chevelle
468 ci, TH 400, 3:73 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 10:59 PM
Tech Team

Re: Header Reccomendation

I used to have those Hooker Comp headers on my car a few years ago. When I took it to the track the car went so-so. I switched to a set of the 1 3/4" tube headers and the car picked up .3 tenths and 2 mph, needless to say I was surprised so I sold the Hooker Comps. Now I am building a 468 similar to your and I have a set of Hooker Super Comps that are 2" tubes, if this set does the same then I will add some merge collectors to get the tq. It may loose. I am sure that what happened with the Comps back then.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 7:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

These should work well for you:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b...make/chevrolet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 9:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
I have those headers. Not a track car, but they fit well. Oil filter is very tight during removal. Drivers side does hang a little lower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FA95CAF7-29BD-422C-AC0C-F0EF18748864_1565963097128.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	600752  

Team Chevelle Member (19 years and counting...
)

'72 Chevelle Convertible (Mohave Gold) (all SS options, no SS badging)

2004 Pontiac GTO (Quicksilver) RIP April 2013
--> Replaced with 2004 Pontiac GTO (Barbados Blue)

2003 Chevrolet Avalanche (Sunset Orange Metallic)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 5:18 PM
Tech Team
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS468 View Post
I am planning on reusing my 30 year old Hooker Competition headers on the new build. It's a .060" over 454, 10.5:1, ported/polished steel 702 heads, 850 Holley, 0.540"/0.560" lift and 242/248 duration at .050".

The headers have 2" tubes with 3.5" collectors. Is this still a good header to use? I am going tomorrow to see if they can be ceramic coated. They are in good shape except for a fair amount of surface rust.

If these can't be coated, can someone recommend a full length, ceramic coated header that fits good. The car will have a stock ride height, PS, T400 and a Vintage Air compressor.

Thx in advance.

Chris
I have the same headers on my ss396 Chevelle, from 2005, ceramic coated. Sound and power are perfect. Very nasty and cool sounding. With 3 inch exhaust and flowmasters, the big cam sound at idle and WOT sound cannot be beat. There is some clearance issue that might require a dimple with the steering shaft. Big oil filter -- no problem....

The biggest issue is the ground clearance. They are not made for lowered cars. My Chevelle is lowered about 1.5 inches and speed bumps are a big issue. The lowest pipe on the drivers side has a flat spot from hitting, you can see it in the pic. I plan to change them out soon. I cannot stand how low they hang. I hope I do not mess up the sound, because they sound unbelievably great with my cam. Check pics.

PS. In this forum, a lot of people are happy with the thicker flange Hedman 2". They tuck up nice and tight. I am planning to try those next.

Harry
1970 Chevelle SS396 (408), Fathom Blue,
Original Block & Forged Crank, KB Pistons, Edelbrock 6045 Heads,Comp Cam 292H, March Serpentine, RPM AirGap,750HP,100hp Nitrous
A/F Wideband,Tremec TKO 600, 12 bolt,
30 spline Moser Axles, Richmond 3:73's, Hotchkis control arms, swaybars, springs, Wilwood 12" rotors D/S, 4 piston calipers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in