OEM exhaust system for 70 Chevelle 350 ci. - Chevelle Tech
Headers and Exhaust Discussion related to Exhaust systems and headers.
Sponsored by: Pypes Performance Exhaust

4Likes
  • 4 Post By neaswa

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 8:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

OEM exhaust system for 70 Chevelle 350 ci.

Does anyone know where I can find an OEM exhaust system (dual) for my 70 Chevelle Malibu 350 ci? I want to use the original exhaust manifolds since my car is bone stock original. I called all of the big name companies and they don't carry it. I could go to a muffler shop and have a set bent up, but I prefer to buy a kit and do the work myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 11:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: OEM exhaust system for 70 Chevelle 350 ci.

This is a BIG IF.......... If you can find a shop that has a bender and a "" CARD "" for 70 Chevelles. They can bend the pipes as per the factory did. This is what I had done with both of my 70s both are the 116" W.B. ( El Camino & Wagon).
70s......... From the back of the mufflers to the engine all is the same.
From the back of the mufflers to the back of the car- Wagon & El Camino VS 2-door coupe. different tail pipes.
2-Doors / coupes are 112" W. Base. Wagons & El Caminos are 116" W. Base. Look for a local shop. My pipes & Mufflers are aluminized and I used all STOCK hangers & Clamps. It was less than $300.00 for two head pipes / Two mufflers (Alum.) and Two tailpipes. & Clamps. I bought new repo STAINLESS stock hangers.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 11:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

Gardner Exhaust. They are expensive.

https://www.gardnerexhaust.com/exhau...le-ss-exhaust/

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 11:33 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

https://www.waldronexhaust.com/

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 3:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the sourcing. And yes Gardner is expensive (about 1000), but the way the salesman described it their system sounds very nice. I'll probably go with Waldron since they are half the price of Gardner and my car is just a driver. I added some pics- 69K original miles, original drive train with 350 4bbl, M20, 3.31 posi, gage package and buckets. Just found the build sheet the other day behind the driver door panel. The prior owner added the SS wheels and blacked out grill. I picked it up about 2 years ago for 11K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E0712.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	599950   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1532.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	599952  
LeoP, davewho1, OO52 and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 3:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

Niiiiiice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 8:07 PM
Tech Team

That Chevelle is beautiful!!
I know you said OEM but as you already know Gardner is up there in price. Pypes makes a true dual 2.5" system, that when combined with Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers (especially the 20" version) will give you a stock appearing system with a slight boost in performance to boot. They have Manifold downpipes to complete the system and SS tips if you want. The Dynomax mufflers look stock but are only slightly more aggressive without drone. They flow like crazy too.
https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/...30-no-mufflers
http://https://classicmusclecarexhau...olet-downpipes
http://https://classicmusclecarexhau...turbo-mufflers
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 6:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Spoffie- thanks. Your lead sounds like the winner, since Pypes is about 10 miles from my house and I have a set of chrome tips. When I purchased the car it came with a set of new, in the box, Pypes SS chrome tips, which I had mounted. To mount them cost me about 200 since the shop had to bend up 2 short extensions that connect my 2" tailpipe to the 2.5" chrome tips. With the 2.5 system I can do away with the extensions- cleaner. I will need to gently cut the tips away from the old exhaust since they are welded in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1166.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	600006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	600008  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 7:07 AM
Tech Team

neaswa- Surprised I haven't seen you at local Hatboro/Lansdale/Quakertown car shows. I too have a '70 Malibu and would love to see yours. You will pay more buying directly from Pypes in Hatfield. They are a dealer based company so you'll do better online. Classic Muscle Car Exhaust is 10% off till the end of the month and shipping is free.
https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 8:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

spoffie- I sent you a PM. Also, your right about Pypes since I was going to buy a Cold Case radiator and they said I'd get it cheaper from Summit. Thanks for the link.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 8:44 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by neaswa View Post
Does anyone know where I can find an OEM exhaust system (dual) for my 70 Chevelle Malibu 350 ci? I want to use the original exhaust manifolds since my car is bone stock original. I called all of the big name companies and they don't carry it. I could go to a muffler shop and have a set bent up, but I prefer to buy a kit and do the work myself.
Not necessarily factory but the first one may be the closest you will find.... sorry I can't be of more help...

https://www.jegs.com/c/Exhaust-Syste...29708&sbv=true
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 8:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Use Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers #17749. They will be perfect. They flow well and have a nice mellow tone. Pypes exhaust systems are nice but there mufflers are very noisy..

I would look for tail pipes that exit behind the rear tires, that's how the factory exhaust systems looked when new..
I wouldn't use the X or H pipe either.. To me they make an exhaust system sound like a single exhaust system.

Super Turbo? - Offset / Offset Muffler - P/N: 17749 - DynoMax® Performance Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in