Headers that tuck up? Hedman, Doug's, Lemons? '70 big block - Chevelle Tech
Headers and Exhaust Discussion related to Exhaust systems and headers.
Sponsored by: Pypes Performance Exhaust

6Likes
  • 2 Post By Tom Mobley
  • 1 Post By Xplantdad
  • 1 Post By blm
  • 2 Post By blm

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 9:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
Headers that tuck up? Hedman, Doug's, Lemons? '70 big block

I'm searching for some comparison between headers. If possible even with pictures.

I have Patriot Clippster mid-length headers H8012-1 with 1 3/4 tubes and a nice thick 3/8 flange on my 1970 Chevelle with 402 big block. But I keep scraping the drivers side exhaust (just after the header) to the ground on speed bumps and stuff. Collector is 3" and exhaust is 2.5"
It's 5/8 lower then the front member. I know the 4L80e oil pan is also low, but the exhaust is really lowest point at this moment.
The drivers side collector is just pointing down to much. Fitment of the passengers side was also not perfect, there was 1 tube that needed a flat spot to clear the frontmember. But the collector is much higher. I'm looking for a set long tube headers, it's a street car.

Is this (pictures below) a normal exhaust height? (then my car is just to low) or are there long tube headers, with the collector that is going to tuck up nice to the floor of the car?

I love the idea of a set Lemons, but to be honest, I can't afford them.
Narrowed it down at this moment to choose between:
Doug's D313 / Doug's D316 / Hedman 66002 / Hedman 65002 / Hedman 68198

I'm leaning to the Hedman 68198 because of the heavy 14 gauge tubes and 3/8 thick flange.
Someone here with good advice or some pictures?

70 Chevelle SS 396 - 4L80e - 3.55
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 9:04 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: Headers that tuck up? Hedman, Doug's, Lemons? '70 big block

moved to the new headers section.

Please post all future headers and exhaust questions here.
davewho1 and 70-chevelle-396 like this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 19, 10:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Like the 'vert!

Check this post of my nephew's Mark Jones 468...you can see his Hedman headers

They tuck up really nicely!

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/18-...-engine-4.html
NickeyChevelle likes this.

Bruce

We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.
Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD!!!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 19, 1:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
moved to the new headers section.

Please post all future headers and exhaust questions here.
Thanks, sorry did not know there was one now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplantdad View Post
Check this post of my nephew's Mark Jones 468...you can see his Hedman headers

They tuck up really nicely!

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/18-...-engine-4.html
Thanks, that helps a lot! By the way, 18.3mpg? wow, that's nice!
That are the Hedman 68198 headers? Looks like they are just a bit lower then the oil pan.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 11:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

The Hedman full length big block headers I have on my car now fit better than the mid length headers I originally had with the old small block. Come to think of it, so did the full length hedmans I swapped to for the SB before I yanked it. The bend in the adapter pipe hung down just like your picture above. I just couldn't get it to tuck up tight without re-engineering everything. This is a pic of the Hedmans I have on it now. They really fit well. Sorry I don't know the part number off hand, but I can check the tag if you're interested. I also cut the three bolt collector flanges off and welded some ball-socket flanges on because I hate leaky collectors. As an added benefit, it also gave me a little more ground clearance. I wouldn't recommend cutting up into the collector as far as I did, but I wanted to match the BB header to the flange on the exhaust that was there already from the small block headers. I can swap back to a SB now and it'll line right back up with the exhaust.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 1:43 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I have a set of Lemons on my car now but used to run the Hedman 68198. For the price you can't beat the Hedmans. I will go as far as to say they fit almost as good as the Lemons and are 1/4 the price. Only thing I noticed about the Hedmans is after about 6 years the ceramic coating was showing slight wear. But after that time send them out for a top of the line recoated from someone with a lifetime warranty and you are all set. I would not hesitate to buy another set of Hedmans.
davewho1 likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 19, 1:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ69chevelle View Post
The Hedman full length big block headers I have on my car now fit better than the mid length headers I originally had with the old small block............ This is a pic of the Hedmans I have on it now. They really fit well. Sorry I don't know the part number off hand, but I can check the tag if you're interested.
Thanks, it looks like they are nice and close to the floorboard. It would be great if you have the part number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
I have a set of Lemons on my car now but used to run the Hedman 68198. For the price you can't beat the Hedmans. I will go as far as to say they fit almost as good as the Lemons and are 1/4 the price. Only thing I noticed about the Hedmans is after about 6 years the ceramic coating was showing slight wear. But after that time send them out for a top of the line recoated from someone with a lifetime warranty and you are all set. I would not hesitate to buy another set of Hedmans.

Thanks for the reply, but one question... Why did you go from the Hedmans to the Lemons?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 19, 8:26 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

I have lemons 2 1/8 to 3.5 inch collector on my BBC 1965 Chevelle and they fit well and tuck up very nicely. I would agree with guy above that the Hedmans appear to fit pretty good and tuck up nicely and the price is good. Get the ones already coated.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 19, 10:09 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

[QUOTE=70-chevelle-396

Thanks for the reply, but one question... Why did you go from the Hedmans to the Lemons?[/QUOTE]

Got a new engine with almost double the horse power so I went with a little larger diameter header. I am not unhappy with the Lemons but think even a new set of Hedmans would have been just as good.
Xplantdad and 70-chevelle-396 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in