Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flow or Dynomax Super Turbo - Chevelle Tech
Headers and Exhaust Discussion related to Exhaust systems and headers.
Sponsored by: Pypes Performance Exhaust

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 1:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Rich

Send a message via MSN to richr
Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flow or Dynomax Super Turbo

Currently have 40 series Flowmasters on the 65 - headers, 383. It's so loud, the drone is awful, I actaully do not enjoy cruising in it and forget the radio, it sounds nice when I'm not in it, but other then that... AGGGHHH.

So I have 70 series on my 70 BB and like them but they are kind of quiet and big so don't think I'll go there for the 65 SB.

I am not concerned on the performance aspect, but more sound. Like a good rumble but don't like the drone and too loud (my son loves it)

So looking at the 50 series Delta flows and my freind recomended the Dynomax Super Turbo 17749, which are at least 35.00 cheaper per muffler, thats a plus.

Just curious if anyone is using either or has used both and to just give me your thoughts and opinoons on sound.

Thks

Rich

70 Convertible 454
Member # 442
ACES # 3480

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by richr; Jun 17th, 19 at 2:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 2:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
bob

Re: Flowmaster 50 series Delta Flow or Dynomax Super Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by richr View Post
Currently have 40 series Flowmasters on the 65 - headers, 383. It's so loud, the drone is awful, I actaully do not enjoy cruising in it and forget the radio, it sounds nice when I'm not in it, but other then that... AGGGHHH.

So I have 70 series on my 70 BB and like them but they are kind of quiet and big so don't think I'll go there for the 65 SB.

I am not concerned on the performance aspect, but more sound. Like a good rumble but don't like the drone and too loud (my son loves it)

So looking at the 50 series Delta flows and my freind recomended the Dynomax Super Turbo 17749, which are at least 35.00 cheaper per muffler, thats a plus.

Just curious if anyone is using either or has used both and to just give me your thoughts and opinoons on sound.

Thks

Rich

I also had 40 series on my 66 Chevelle and had a bad drone when driving. I switched to the 50 series delta, drone was gone and it had almost the same sound has the 40's.
richr likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 3:48 PM
Tech Team
Eddie

Garage

Dynomax Super Turbo flows far better than any Chokemaster. It has that "muscle car" rumble at idle and low speed and nice, not too aggressive but noticeable, sound at WOT. No annoying drone, (even with 3" exhaust) you can actually have a conversation while cruising without raising your voice.
77 cruiser and blue_69_malibu like this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 4:43 PM
Tech Team
Jim

I've got the Dyno Max Super Turbos on my 70, I absolutely love them. They have a nice deep rumble at idle and while you are cruising they are not loud but have a nice deep sound with no droning.. If you stomp on it, the car sounds like a muscle car should.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 5:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Rich

The Dynomax sounds like where I want to go, I love a rumble, but just don't love the drone and loudness. Especially that I am primarily a cruiser.

70 Convertible 454
Member # 442
ACES # 3480

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 6:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Magna flow for me. I had the muffler shop stuff in the biggest ones they could under there. My 454 is not loud, but not quiet, especially when I step on it.

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 9:31 PM
Tech Team

There's a lot of good advise here, and you can't go wrong with the Super Turbo's. The 17749 is a 20" muffler, the quietest one they make. They also come in 14" (17734) and 16" (17629) so you can pick your sound level. The 20" seems to be the hands down favorite for those who want peace and quiet while cruising and an awesome exhaust note when you get on it. Plus, they will support 700 HP so you can't beat that. Having said that, the 50 series Flowmaster will flow fine for mostly all of our street driven cars while eliminating the drone of the 40's. There are 2 levels of 50's- Delta and Super. The Super 50 is the quieter of the two, but still retains the bass tones that FM is famous for while eliminating the drone. A 70 series is a Super 50 with a longer case. MagnaFlow's are a straight- through design that is generally quiet while cruising (especially the 18" version) but come very much alive as you get on it. They do not sound anything like a Flowmaster, but have a subdued glasspack sound when revving. It's all a matter of taste, there's no right or wrong, but you'll probably find that Dynomax has the edge when it comes to sound control, performance, and bang for the buck.

https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/...turbo-mufflers

https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/i/exhaust-101
richr likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 10:39 PM
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

My '67 with a 350 had Flowmaster 40's and I had the same problem, too loud and too much drone in the interior. I had them replaced with 50 series Delta. Perfect! Nice exterior sound, no drone inside. My wife and I can now carry on a conversation at highway speeds without shouting.
richr and bobm67 like this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 8:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Rich

Thks all, I went with the 17749 Dynomax, will have them installed hopefully on Saturday and will report back with my thoughts.

Thanks for the video links - that was very helpful!!

70 Convertible 454
Member # 442
ACES # 3480

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 8:43 AM
Tech Team
Daryl

Garage

Dynomax 17665's on mine. Nice and quiet in car at cruise. Sound awesome when the 505 goes into tire smoke mode Engine made 8 HP less on dyno with these mufflers compared to open headers and 16" extensions.

1970 Chevelle 505 640hp/625tq 700R4 with 2.84 gearset plus more goodies! Moser 12 bolt 33 spline axles Fitech Meanstreet fuel injection
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 11:12 AM
Mike S.

Don't forget about your sponsor's mufflers... Pypes Exhaust. We have Race Pro's which are equivalent to the 50 series and the CFM flow of these are just about the same as a straight pipe... 492.2 vs 500 cfm. They are the only muffler with packing inside to get rid of the drone. I have them on my two cars and I love the sound. It's a real nice Musclecar sounding muffler at idle, them what you get on it, it's loud, but when you back off and cruise, it's a nice mellow tone.

Here's a link of 71 Chevelle with a 3" Race Pro mufflers on it. Granted it's 3" which is a bit louder than the 2.5", but you can get the feel of it.

Here's a drive-by with the same car.

PM me and I can give you a really good deal on these mufflers...
Thanks... Mike
richr, 427L88, davewho1 and 1 others like this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 12:43 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

When my car was my daily driver I ran 3" 50 series 3 chamber delta flow mufflers. This was 20 years ago. The car was pretty quiet for a mid 11 second on the motor, mid 10 second on a 150 shot street car. No Flowmaster drone with the 3 chamber 50 series delta flow. This video is from 2003 when the engine was 5 years old, a roller cam 355.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" Billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal S/S rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel rockers, Cloyes Timing Set, 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050", .704" lift, Dart single plane, Dominator EFI, Stef's #1705R pan, F2 Procharger on E85
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 7:23 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Mike S, I do like the sound of those...it does sound like classic muscle. Will consider Pypes in the future.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 19, 8:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

I will vouch for the Pypes that really none of their mufflers drone. I have had them all on my 70 Chevelle. Race Pro, Street Pro and now Violators. Even the Violators which are just flat out nasty when you stomp it have no drone when I am cruising.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 19, 5:37 PM
Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksky View Post
My '67 with a 350 had Flowmaster 40's and I had the same problem, too loud and too much drone in the interior. I had them replaced with 50 series Delta. Perfect! Nice exterior sound, no drone inside. My wife and I can now carry on a conversation at highway speeds without shouting.

I did the same thing, to loud when out driving I could not even get the kids to go along, let alone the wife. And after a hour long drive I would come out of it with a noise headache. Even with my bike, it’s very quite everyone has a loud bike, very few of us have something you can sneak up on someone. When I would ride with a buddy of mine his bike is unbearably loud, he has to ride in the back because if he leads we all turn off at the next cross road and let him drive off on his own. It pisses him off, but I can only take so much.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in