Headers for 67 El Camino with 350 - Chevelle Tech
Headers and Exhaust Discussion related to Exhaust systems and headers.
Sponsored by: Pypes Performance Exhaust

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Geoff1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Headers for 67 El Camino with 350

Any suggestions for headers for my 67?
It has a 350 in there, and i believe it was originally a big block car.

-Good fit, no denting and bending

-Able to change plus with them installed
-Good seal
-Would be nice if it had an O2 bung

anything else I'm not thinking of?

'67 El Camino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 10:07 AM
Tech Team
Geoff

Garage
Re: Headers for 67 El Camino with 350

67 ElCamino owner, I went with Sanderson cast headers, very good fit and best of all, NO LEAKS! I don't even use a flange gasket. 02 sensor placement varies, a 4 wire self heating sensor should be down stream a bit, narrow band sensors are used closer to the collector. Plug changes are a NON issue. I will never go back to tube headers on a street car, the Sanderson units are good for 500 hp and ground clearance is great. Run 2.5" pipes w/H cross over and turbo style mufflers, my 327 with a 150 N2O shot ran 12's
teamcurtis likes this.

Last edited by Geoff1200; May 21st, 19 at 10:12 AM. Reason: oops
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Geoff, do you have a link or a part #? Most of the sandersons i am seeing are tube headers.
Block hugger, shorty, full length?

edit...

Im assuming is these?
https://www.sandersonheaders.com/san...ategory_id=355

Whats the sound like? Lets be honest the sound is at least 50% of why I want them

'67 El Camino

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff1200 View Post
67 ElCamino owner, I went with Sanderson cast headers, very good fit and best of all, NO LEAKS! I don't even use a flange gasket. 02 sensor placement varies, a 4 wire self heating sensor should be down stream a bit, narrow band sensors are used closer to the collector. Plug changes are a NON issue. I will never go back to tube headers on a street car, the Sanderson units are good for 500 hp and ground clearance is great. Run 2.5" pipes w/H cross over and turbo style mufflers, my 327 with a 150 N2O shot ran 12's
Any pictures of them installed? I'm still running slightly cleaned up original 1967 cast iron manifolds on my ZZ4. I don't know how much torque I'm leaving on the table, but I like how it sounds, and runs, plus I like how they literally will last forever.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 19, 2:27 PM
Tech Team
Geoff

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcurtis View Post
Geoff, do you have a link or a part #? Most of the sandersons i am seeing are tube headers.
Block hugger, shorty, full length?

edit...

Im assuming is these?
https://www.sandersonheaders.com/san...ategory_id=355

Whats the sound like? Lets be honest the sound is at least 50% of why I want them
You found them! Sound wise, the ticking/clicking sound of tube headers is gone, depending on exhaust choice, should be no droning. They fit great and I had NO clearance issues and NO leaks. Can't post pictures, son has my car till July.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 19, 9:34 PM
Team Member
Bob

Send a message via AIM to 540 Olds

I installed a set of Hedman 68298 on my '67 with 383. Fit very nicely; had to jack up drivers side a little, even on a lift. They cleared my clutch "Z" bar, and only two areas needed "modification"., but NO denting or banging. No O2 bung, but that's easy.

On drivers side, lower control arm, rear bushing,; had to grind about 1/4" inch from lower housing to get it right...slight grind, not a big deal.

Also, #5 plug clearance is tight; I used short plugs, Autolite #104; ground a little off plug top/tip so boot would clear header, about 1/4" again, and have no problems.

Passenger side fits, clears, no problem...drivers side had both issues, but not big deal. They don;t hang low but they are not even length: passenger side collector extends about 3-6" further back than drivers.

Check Amazon for deals..

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in