Clearance Question: Pipes & Control Arm Braces - Chevelle Tech
Headers and Exhaust Discussion related to Exhaust systems and headers.
Sponsored by: Pypes Performance Exhaust

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 8:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Clearance Question: Pipes & Control Arm Braces

I went back a few pages and didn't see anything addressing my question, so here we are.. lol

Car: 1965 so applies to 64-72 I'm guessing..

Are there clearance considerations for over the axle fitment when running the lower to upper control arm braces? I have the full UMI kit in back, uppers/lowers/braces and am also running a 2" drop spring from BMR.

I am wanting to use 3" and exit right behind the rear tire. I didn't pay real close attention when I took the old exhaust out, so I dont' remember the routing area and what kind of space is available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 8:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Re: Clearance Question: Pipes & Control Arm Braces

I don't have the UMI kit and am at stock ride height, but am running 3". I kept the rear on jackstands so the suspension was "compressed" and made sure I could slip my hand around pipes / any obstruction when mounting them. Haven't had any problems.

If you're worried, pull the springs and run the rear through it's motions while watching clearance.

I am running poly engine and trans mount so there's little flex along with walker 36518 hangers, so the exhaust is pretty solid. You can bang on it with a closed fist and it barely moves.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 8:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

I assume you are asking about the brand Pypes and not 3" pipes of another manufacture.

71 with Pypes 3" with braces and Tanks EFI tank. A little tight but no issues. My kit was for straight out the back (under rear bumper) so not sure it translates directly to a 65 as there are minor differences but a call to the folks at Pypes will verify.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 8:58 AM
Tech Team
Scott

I have a 1967 chevelle with 3 inch torque tech exhaust to the bumper. I also have 2 inch lowering springs, UMI upper and lower control arms, sway bar and G.M. upper to lower control arm braces. I have no clearance issues.

Scott
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 8:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

You shouldn't have any issues. I have the braces and a 2.5" system and there is a ton of clearance. The only issue I had was my Hellwig swaybar mounts around the rear axle hit at full compression. After a little clearancing and readjusting, all is good.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 19, 9:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown1932 View Post
I assume you are asking about the brand Pypes and not 3" pipes of another manufacture.

71 with Pypes 3" with braces and Tanks EFI tank. A little tight but no issues. My kit was for straight out the back (under rear bumper) so not sure it translates directly to a 65 as there are minor differences but a call to the folks at Pypes will verify.
I wasn't referring to any specific brand at all. Just looking for generalities.

Thanks for the responses!! Bring any and all experiences!!

I will be running the enegery suspension ploy mounts for both engine/trans. I am running a g-force crossmember for the 200r-4 trans.

The car is blown apart for paint.. so, engine/trans/full exhaust is out that's why I don't have a real frame of refernce for clearance.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 19, 2:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

No clearance problems on my 64 with edelbrock braces and flowmaster 3” exhaust pipe kit.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4” wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 11:46 PM
Team Member
George

On my 71 using the Pypes 2-1/2” kit, I couldnt run the tail pipes. I have the UMI upper / lower control arms /braces and BMR Extreme ARB. Had to go with turndowns at the rear axle...hate it, but thats what works....

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
383 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in