Pypes exhaust on my 70 - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Headers and Exhaust Discussion related to Exhaust systems and headers.
Sponsored by: Pypes Performance Exhaust

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 3:44 PM
Tech Team

Re: Pypes exhaust on my 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRSPT69 View Post
I just started putting the Pypes 2.5 in. system on my 69 yesterday, did anybody have to cut the pipes between the muffler and the X pipe? It seems my X is to far forward to allow the front pipes to go though the transmission cross member where the stock pipes go. The instructions mention that the pipes may be cut shorter for proper placement.

Thanks, Shaun
Shaun, You will have to trim. Just remember to measure twice and cut once. They offer different muffler lengths and their systems have a little extra pipe length built in to begin with. I installed 18" Race Pros on my '70 and had to trim for proper alignment. Did you also get SS tips and if you did were they laser etched with 'Pypes' on the top or bottom of the tip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 3:59 PM
Tech Team

Thanks for the reply, I also have the Race Pro mufflers. I will be very careful before I cut into the new pipes.
I didn't get the tips yet, I may wait until spring Carlisle to pick them up from Pypes.
Would you recommend them?
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 4:18 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRSPT69 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I also have the Race Pro mufflers. I will be very careful before I cut into the new pipes.
I didn't get the tips yet, I may wait until spring Carlisle to pick them up from Pypes.
Would you recommend them?
I would. Very high quality. The reason I asked is that some people loved the quality and fit but preferred not to have the company logo etched on top of the tip. I was up at Hemmings a couple of weeks ago and Terry McGean was showing me the progress on their '69 SS convertible 'Surgery Without Scars' project that they're doing in 'Muscle Machines' magazine. They had the majority of the Pypes SGA20 'High Tuck' system installed, and their SS tips had 'Pypes' etched on the bottom. Company logo is still there but now you'd only know it if you got on your hands and knees and looked up.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 19, 4:51 PM
Tech Team

Good to know thanks.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 19, 2:53 PM
Mike S.

hessz24... It's really hard to tell which muffler you got, but it looks like you installed center outlets. Is that correct..?

We designed that system with offset/offset mufflers. I'm surprised your tailpipes aren't hitting anything with those mufflers...

Let me know... Mike
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 6:19 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Aren't Pypes exhaust systems made in China?
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 19, 2:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
I have the 2-1/2" Pypes system on my 69 el camino with 454.. I ended up removing the X and ran separate pipes and also swapped the mufflers to Dynomax Super Turbos #17749.. It sounds so much better!! It has a more traditional Big Block Chevrolet tone now..

Jeff,

Interesting you say that I have a Pypes X pipe and Street Pros and it is almost too docile for me. Seriously thinking about going back to just straight pipes.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 19, 4:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I still cant figure out how to add a link but if you want to hear my mild 454 about 9 to 1 comp, 3" Pypes X with violators, YouTube, shovelrick1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 19, 5:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
I still cant figure out how to add a link but if you want to hear my mild 454 about 9 to 1 comp, 3" Pypes X with violators, YouTube, shovelrick1
You just copy the youtube address of your video and paste it in the body of your post, Rick.

Right click on the youtube address at the top with your cursor, select "Copy" in the little pop-up menu; come to your post here and right click in the body of your post and select "Paste."

You can 'Preview Post' to see if it works.

shovelrick likes this.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 8:43 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats70ss View Post
Jeff,

Interesting you say that I have a Pypes X pipe and Street Pros and it is almost too docile for me. Seriously thinking about going back to just straight pipes.

I'm 61 and have Tinnitus from decades of loud exhaust pipes and construction noise.. I wish I would of listened to the warnings from those old timers back then and protected my ears..
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 3:14 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pypes-MikeS View Post
hessz24... It's really hard to tell which muffler you got, but it looks like you installed center outlets. Is that correct..?

We designed that system with offset/offset mufflers. I'm surprised your tailpipes aren't hitting anything with those mufflers...

Let me know... Mike
They do look like center outlets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in