Questions on 2.5" vs 3" Exhaust - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Headers and Exhaust Discussion related to Exhaust systems and headers.
Sponsored by: Pypes Performance Exhaust

70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 91 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 18, 8:23 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Re: Questions on 2.5" vs 3" Exhaust

Rob, I dont know how the AR suspension fits, but 3" tails would make it near impossible to access the upper shock bolts on our 67. MANDREL BENT tails are a must here. Sounds like you got a good plan! it shouldnt rob any HP at all.
66rat likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 91 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 18, 8:52 AM
Tech Team

I went with this system and hoping for a good fit. I don't like mix and matching and taking it to a custom shop seems to take forever and usually as much or more $$.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...5897/overview/

Kevin
The more people I meet the more I love my dog
post #48 of 91 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 18, 10:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jason

In the 90's I had a 10.3:1 AFR headed 383 SBC in my Chevelle. 450 HP tops. It started out with the carry over exhaust from the previous 8:1 350 SBC truck engine I had in the car in high school and college. The original system was 2.5" crush bent tubing from a local muffler shop with 2.5" - 3 chamber Flowmasters. I built a mandrel bent 3" system with 2 chamber flowmasters. In back to back weekends at the track, I picked up 4 MPH in the 1/8th with the 3" system.

The inverse of that, is I ran 117 MPH in the 1/8th with 3" straight through mufflers (3.5" head pipes with reduction just before the mufflers.) ~900 HP.

My conclusion is 3" exhaust is always a safe bet for a performance focused street/strip setup.

Jason Gore
AKA DragRacer
Naturally Aspriated 450 SBC - 915 HP / 714 lb-ft
3370 lbs
1.36 - 60', 5.93 @ 116.7 MPH - 1/8th

post #49 of 91 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 18, 2:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bill R

2.5" exhaust (head) pipes work very well with most street/strip applications with turbo-style mufflers and 2.5" or even 2.0" tailpipes. As the exhaust pulses enter the collector, from the primary tubes, a significant amount of velocity is lost. As the exhaust gases enter and exit from the turbo-style muffler, the velocity/pressure is further reduced. With straight through mufflers, a 3.0" exhaust system may (or may not) result very slight increase in horsepower - but the sound will be atrocious.
novadude and 540 Olds like this.

Bill
64 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe (original owner) car now has 427" BB, Jerico 5-spd. trans., Dana 60 rear end.

SAE Member (25+ years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
post #50 of 91 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 18, 3:41 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66rat View Post
Did a search and didn't come up with much info.

Is there a basic rule of thumb for how much power a 2.5", 3", 3.5", etc, exhaust system will support?

Due to space limitations, I'd like to run a 2.5" exhaust system on my 67 Impala. The motor is a 496 making a peak HP of 528 and 566 torque and its all done by 5300 RPM. At my performance level, would it be worth it to run the 3" exhaust?
I've seen those "rule of thumb" claims in some magazines, but I don't put a lot of faith in them as the "rule" rarely ever takes into account the length of the system or the number and tightness of any bends. (An easy example of why I don't pay attention to the "rule" is every school bus you see has a 4 or 5" diameter exhaust pipe on it, not a "low horsepower 2 inch" system.)

I prefer not to guess what size system is needed/preferable under my car. Whenever I make an engine or exhaust modification I hook up a pressure gauge (at the WBO2 bung near the header collectors) so I can directly measure the WOT backpressure in the system. I then know if the exhaust restriction is tolerable/insignificant or if I need to spend the time and money to improve the flow capability.
post #51 of 91 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 18, 6:37 PM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

Way late to the conversation, but have you looked at oval pipes...https://spintechmufflers.com/exhaust-tubing/
A 3" round sorta equals a 3.5 x 2.25 oval

TKG
64 Malibu Coupe
283, Fitech
2004r, 4w discs
post #52 of 91 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 18, 7:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

No need to go oval since the 3 inch head pipes fit just fine under a chevelle. The chevelle also has a couple compound offsets that an oval pipe just can't accomplish. Tails need to be round also.
post #53 of 91 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 18, 7:16 PM
Team Member
Mark

I don't think there's a problem squeezing them to the muffler (although you might need to play with them by the trans brace), but 3" definitely hangs down going over the axle. I think the rovals over the axle to the tailpipe might tuck in a lot nicer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newwheels_pic4sml.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	580378   Click image for larger version

Name:	newwheels_pic6rsml.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	580380  
66rat likes this.

69 Chevelle Malibu
427 sbc, TH400, 3.55 12-bolt
n/a best: 11.24sec/118mph
post #54 of 91 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 18, 5:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanMark View Post
I don't think there's a problem squeezing them to the muffler (although you might need to play with them by the trans brace), but 3" definitely hangs down going over the axle. I think the rovals over the axle to the tailpipe might tuck in a lot nicer.
Not to get of topic, but what size tires/wheels you running on rear, they look huge. Are those 295/65's? For that matter, what do you have on all four corners and with what spring setup. Stance on that car is killer.
66rat likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #55 of 91 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 18, 8:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

OP didn't mention a Chevelle but a 67 Impala & I don't think they make a 3" system for them, none I've ever seen.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #56 of 91 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 18, 3:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 cruiser View Post
OP didn't mention a Chevelle but a 67 Impala & I don't think they make a 3" system for them, none I've ever seen.
Because I'm going with an air ride system, this will be a custom install.
post #57 of 91 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 18, 6:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66rat View Post
Because I'm going with an air ride system, this will be a custom install.
Are you going to have to make your own? I've made a couple sets 2.5 for my Impala & 3 for my Monte.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #58 of 91 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 18, 9:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

I think the bends are more important than size.

Your exhaust flow cant exceed what you have coming into the engine...that air, naturally aspirated...goes either into 2 or 4 barrels...how thick are those barrels? Then the head passages? Did anyone ever do the math on the flow of air INTO the motor? Add up the volume of the runners? The space of the exhaust runner before the header?

Curious if anyone simply added a small air pump, like a small 12v shop vac motor to their pipes and see what the increase in performance is? Run it without and with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #59 of 91 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 18, 12:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I think that the CFM of air in, mixing of gas, and adding ignition will cause the volume to expand to higher volumes than just the CFM of the induction air alone.

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572

Cale Aronson
Black Magic clutches

Cam by UDHarold
Menscer Motorsports

TRZ

CEAutoelectric

post #60 of 91 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 18, 3:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 cruiser View Post
Are you going to have to make your own? I've made a couple sets 2.5 for my Impala & 3 for my Monte.
I won't make the headers, I'm going to buy some cheapie shorty headers thru Ebay. I'll buy mandrel exhaust tubing (2.5"-3") and cut/piece it together myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in