Team Chevelle banner

Looking for 400 turbo transmission

734 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  JerseyDevil5 
#1 ·
I’m looking to buy a rebuildable 400 turbo transmission. I haven’t had any luck with Craigslist or Facebook ads within a reasonable distance. I live in Omaha, NE. Are these hard to come by? It would eventually be placed behind a 383 stroker. Since they haven’t been made for quite a while now, are they hard to find in salvage yards? I’m only looking to spend around $100 since that seems to be the going rate for cores when purchasing a rebuilt 400 from builders. I would appreciate any help or advice to as to how to find one.
Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Look for a transmission dismantler. There are several here in the Denver area and usually charge around $150. Ask around at local transmission shops. 400s are still really plentiful around here and I would bet they are there too.

If you just can't find one local I could probably get one to you with a little planning. But I'd be really surprised if there isn't any local to you. Craigslist is all but useless these days but salvage yards should still be lousy with good cores.

#4 ·
I didn’t know that shops may be willing to sell rebuildable transmissions. I guess it makes sense though. Would I be better off finding a smaller type shop or one of the chains? There are a couple salvage yards around that I might try to call tomorrow. Is around $100-$120 a reasonable price to pay? I dealt with these local yards years ago and I’m pretty sure they were making commission off the parts they were selling because their prices were pretty high. A lot of times the shop I was working at ended up just buying new parts because they weren’t much more expensive. I know I’m looking for a short tailshaft, checking for cracks in the case especially around the bellhousing and hoping for decent fluid. Since I’m going to rebuild it, I’m not overly concerned with dirty fluid. Anything else I should be looking for?

Tommy the Cat: If I can’t find anything, my wife may be going to Colorado for a business trip in a couple months so I might be able to arrange picking up a 400 from you if you have one available.

Thanks!

#5 ·
I'd pay up to $150 for a good core. I don't worry too much about what's inside, you're going to replace all but the hard parts anyhow and the hard parts are cheap and plentiful. Check the case for cracks and obvious damage.

Ask whatever shop you talk to if there's a dismantler in your area. That's usually where you'll find the cheapest cores and hard parts. I'd talk to as many as it takes, large or small.

I don't have a spare that I want to part with at the moment but I can get one from my local dismantler with a little notice and load it up for your wife if it comes to that.

Unrelated- Because of your screen name I feel compelled to say GO AVS GO!!

#6 ·
I have a rebuildable core 400 you could have for $50. But I'm in Alabama, and it has a truck tailshaft.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.