Wanted... - Chevelle Tech
Temporary Free Classifieds no commercial sales -- simple forum for classifieds -- no catagories for buy or sell just by date

9Likes
  • 2 Post By Philip
  • 1 Post By augy
  • 2 Post By edspdog
  • 2 Post By Tommy the Cat
  • 1 Post By nashville beth
  • 1 Post By hessz24

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 19, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gavin

Wanted...

I may be stupid, but Iím looking for a 8.2Ē 10 bolt posi carrier thatíll work with 3.73 gears.

My father tells me I was born 30 years too late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 2:29 AM
Administrator

Garage
Re: Wanted...

They are available new, I recommend an Eaton. Buying a used one could cost more than new depending on the price and if it needs to be rebuilt to work properly.
Steve R and Hotwire like this.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 7:24 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I'm running this diff with Motive 3.73s in my 8.2". Also running a Moser diff cover with stud girdle to help keep the rear together. Recommend the diff, hasn't let me down yet!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...0108/overview/

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 8:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

How about an 8.5" 10-bolt posi? Late 70's up into the 90's (I think) used those in Camaros and Firebirds. Many of them are disc-brake rear ends. I recently bought one for a Gasser project for $250. They will work fine as long as you're not throwing huge gobs of HP at them.

No, mine is not for sale.....
Ghaasl likes this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 7:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
I'm running this diff with Motive 3.73s in my 8.2". Also running a Moser diff cover with stud girdle to help keep the rear together. Recommend the diff, hasn't let me down yet!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...0108/overview/

Will it survive behind a 450 horse/torque 396?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 7:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Will it last?
Yes if the driver is careful.
Those long black marks are not too hard on the drive train but if they hook that is when scrap metal shows up. My 2 cents.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 7:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by augy View Post
How about an 8.5" 10-bolt posi? Late 70's up into the 90's (I think) used those in Camaros and Firebirds. Many of them are disc-brake rear ends. I recently bought one for a Gasser project for $250. They will work fine as long as you're not throwing huge gobs of HP at them.

No, mine is not for sale.....
I like the idea, but I donít want to fab. I fab all day at work and my welding skills arenít the greatest. Hard for a millwright to admit that. Ideally, a 12 bolt would be under the car. But, I see bare 12 bolt rears going for stupid money, and the 8.5 10 bolts thatíll bolt in are creeping up there as well. Since my Malibu will never see slicks or a race track, I think my 10 bolt will survive.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 19, 8:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

The 8.5 is stronger than an 8.2 but not a direct swap, obviously. I think either one would handle that power on the street if it never dead-hooks and no side-stepping the clutch.

I built an 8.2 with 3.73s and an Auburn and it worked great with 350ish HP. I wished I had never bothered later, though because I couldn't hardly give it away when I decided to step up the power. I lost a ton of money that could've gone toward the 12 bolt that replaced it.

Just know going in that you won't get that money back if you try to sell later.
71350SS and lucifershammer like this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 8:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaasl View Post
Will it survive behind a 450 horse/torque 396?
As said already, as long as you aren't running slicks and dead hooking you should be ok. I'm assuming I have around 400hp at the crank, 364cuin LS, cam, longtube headers, T56 6 speed, etc. It's not a monster, but not a slouch either.

You could go with a solid pinion spacer, upgraded axles, and stud girdle trying to keep it together, but you're getting close to decent 12 bolt prices at that point.

The problem that I noticed on these 10 bolts, it's not necessarily the small ring gear, it's the lack of material holding the diff in place. I'm used to newer vehicles, the first time I cracked this rear open I was shocked at the lack of material around the cap bearing mounting locations. This is the main reason I'm running a stud girdle.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 8:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaasl View Post
I may be stupid, but Iím looking for a 8.2Ē 10 bolt posi carrier thatíll work with 3.73 gears.
I don't like clutch-type posi's and they don't make a tru-trac for the 8.2.

But they do make this ratcheting locker :

I think Freddie has run one and they are pretty good and very strong
Kirk's67SS likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 8:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
As said already, as long as you aren't running slicks and dead hooking you should be ok. I'm assuming I have around 400hp at the crank, 364cuin LS, cam, longtube headers, T56 6 speed, etc. It's not a monster, but not a slouch either.
What kind of tires are you launching with Jeff ?

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 9:36 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
What kind of tires are you launching with Jeff ?
lol.. uh... well... seee......

cheap 205/70/14s Can cut a mean 2.0 60 ft!

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 10:17 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
The problem that I noticed on these 10 bolts, it's not necessarily the small ring gear, it's the lack of material holding the diff in place. I'm used to newer vehicles, the first time I cracked this rear open I was shocked at the lack of material around the cap bearing mounting locations. This is the main reason I'm running a stud girdle.

I took a picture of a '72 12-bolt housing that looks just like this. The 12-bolts were not solid behind the bearings either. Will post later.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 5:00 PM
Tech Team

I have the bone stock 8.2 3.36 posi in my 70 Malibu. I laid a beaten on it 20 years ago with a 350, then had it behind a 454. Now it’s behind a 400hp 350 with a Muncie. I side step it sometimes(prob shouldn’t) but it holds up and works great. If it ever goes, then I’ll have to do a 12 bolt I guess
Hotwire likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 9:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
I took a picture of a '72 12-bolt housing that looks just like this. The 12-bolts were not solid behind the bearings either. Will post later.
Not that it matters, but this is what I was used to seeing. This is an 8.5" rear out of a 97-03 S10 with a manual gear box. Basically the same diff as a silverado.

Notice how the casting behind the carrier bearings is just solid.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in