Ls7 454 complete motor - Chevelle Tech
Temporary Free Classifieds no commercial sales -- simple forum for classifieds -- no catagories for buy or sell just by date

2Likes
  • 1 Post By GTOMike06
  • 1 Post By Steve R

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 1:53 PM Thread Starter
Mike

Ls7 454 complete motor

The previous owner of my car had this crate motor installed in the 80s. The car is an original L89 car and I am going to put it back as original as possible. Hoping to sell this motor to help get the restoration started.
It's still in the car and it runs and drives fine. I have been running it on 100 octane and it hasnt had any problems. The block has the xch stamp, 4 bolt mains, all forged internals and the heads are 990 rectangle port heads. It has a new Holley 850 dual line carb, billet flywheel and a vintage twisted edelbrock aluminum intake manifold. The only thing I'm not positive on is the cam. When I bought it he gave me a stack of receipts from the shop he had it installed at and there was a cam card in it. Well there was also receipts for roller rockers, ac parts and several other parts that arent on the car so I'm not positive the cam has ever been changed. If the cam is not the 180 zl1 cam when we pull the motor I will take $500 off the price. I've seen several for that price on ebay. Anyone interested is more than welcome to come drive the car with the motor in it to be sure they are happy with it. I have compression tested the motor and all cylinders are 220-240. Cold start oil pressure is around 40-50lbs and at temperature idle is around 20lbs. In total the motor has from the previous owner and myself about 25k miles on it. I am asking $7000.*
427L88 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 3:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Re: Ls7 454 complete motor

I looked at a similar LS6 a while back. Here's the conversation about it for reference.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/60-...te-engine.html

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 7:14 PM
Jeff

Original LS-7 came with 12 1/2-1 compression forged pistons. Would not be a very good motor for the street.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 7:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs68ss View Post
Original LS-7 came with 12 1/2-1 compression forged pistons. Would not be a very good motor for the street.
Put some large port 049's on it to tame it down and you got a nice piece.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 8:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eugene

I hate to rain on your parade but for $7k you can get more engine brand new from VortecPro. I think you are more in the $3500. to $4000. range.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 9:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkerman View Post
I hate to rain on your parade but for $7k you can get more engine brand new from VortecPro. I think you are more in the $3500. to $4000. range.
That was the consensus in my thread as well. And that one had a fraction of the miles. The high compression and the lazy heads make a miserable street engine. Good shortblock, though.

The engine in my truck didn't cost much more than the asking price here but had 0 miles and came with a warranty.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Mike

I just based my price off what I'd seen some on ebay go for and others I'd seen vendors selling. If I'm to high then I'm open to offers. I just googled ls7 454 motors for sale and went off that.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 1:19 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOMike06 View Post
I just based my price off what I'd seen some on ebay go for and others I'd seen vendors selling. If I'm to high then I'm open to offers. I just googled ls7 454 motors for sale and went off that.
Good luck with your sale. Whatever you do, donít remove it from the car prior to someone purchasing it. Itís going to be tough, that market has gone away from high compression and flat tappet cams, itís rapidly moving away from hydraulic roller cammed big blocks and towards anything LS based. There is a nostalgic factor, but even that will favor an early-70ís rate engine. If you can, find actual sale prices, I couldnít find any on eBay, and use them as a reference.

Steve R
Bonkerman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in