1968 Chevelle Malibu Front Wheelwell Moldings NOS! - Chevelle Tech
Temporary Free Classifieds no commercial sales -- simple forum for classifieds -- no catagories for buy or sell just by date

1Likes
  • 1 Post By von

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 1:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Scott

1968 Chevelle Malibu Front Wheelwell Moldings NOS!

I have a set of both front wheel well moldings. In the GM parts book references I can find, they are correct for a 68 Malibu. GM# 3955683 , GM# 3955684. Group 8.132. Still in (what's left of) the GM paper wrapping! I will post some pics shortly, I took one out and taped it on my 68 to show how they look. They do not extend to the bottom of the fender like the reproductions do. They also have a center groove that is painted black, much like the trunk panel moldings. I think they are a truly unique item, I have never seen a 68 with these installed.
I would like to get $200 for the set, but I am willing to listen to offers. I am also looking to trade or partial trade if you have something I want. I am looking for things like Chevelle bucket seat tracks, 1-70 chevelle bucket (I have 1, looking for a match), 4-seat emblems for a 67 Chevelle. What do you have? PM me if you have something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190723_222227.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	598994  

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
700R4
This is how we roll:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 1:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Re: 1968 Chevelle Malibu Front Wheelwell Moldings NOS!

Photos of how it sits on my fender. I actually really like the black stripe.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 19, 9:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Bump, let's go $150.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 19, 11:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Scott do you have any 68 eyebrow moldings? I'd be interested

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 19, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
Scott do you have any 68 eyebrow moldings? I'd be interested
Rick, I don't think so. I'll look in my 68 box. They were impossible to find when I restored my car 15 yrs ago. I think I paid $90 per eyebrow to have my originals fixed and polished.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 19, 3:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

They are very hard to find, I guy 45 min. north of me is selling a wrecked 69 for $3500 with a 350 (bad I think) & Muncie 4 spd, I sent an email inquiring on some molding pieces but haven't heard back

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 19, 7:36 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

FWIW my references show the only '68 Chevelles equipped with wheel opening moldings were the Malibus equipped with the RPO ZJ6 Concours option (incl Concours badging) and Concours wagons. Regular '68 Malibus and SS396's did not have wheel opening moldings. They are a handsome addition however. Interesting is that the '68 only moldings had black paint filling the center.
b&b's69 likes this.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 19, 7:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by von View Post
FWIW my references show the only '68 Chevelles equipped with wheel opening moldings were the Malibus equipped with the RPO ZJ6 Concours option (incl Concours badging) and Concours wagons. Regular '68 Malibus and SS396's did not have wheel opening moldings. They are a handsome addition however. Interesting is that the '68 only moldings had black paint filling the center.
I have read the same, however, when you look up these part numbers, they come back as 68 Malibu. Perhaps they are Concours only, I'm not sure. I bought them many years ago and after keeping the Malibu side moldings I decided wheel opening moldings was too much.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 12:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Arent 68 and 69 eyebrows the same?

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
Arent 68 and 69 eyebrows the same?
Nope. The 69s rise a little higher on the headlight side. A trained eye notices..

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 11:10 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

that's a great deal, if I still had my 68, I'd be calling. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 3:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
Nope. The 69s rise a little higher on the headlight side. A trained eye notices..

Well....

Why do some 68's have a side trim that ends in the center of the headlight bezel and some have it go up to the top of the headlight bezel like 69's?

My trained eye sees 2 types for 68.

Do some people put the wrong ones on or is this a mid year mistake?

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 4:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
Well....

Why do some 68's have a side trim that ends in the center of the headlight bezel and some have it go up to the top of the headlight bezel like 69's?

My trained eye sees 2 types for 68.

Do some people put the wrong ones on or is this a mid year mistake?
Your trained eye sees 1 correct molding for a 68 and 1 that guys use from a 69 because they can't find the correct ones or don't know the difference.

OK, so how do I know? I am just a 68 owner, not the authority. Others on TC are the experts. But here's what I have. From the assembly manual, 68 had 2 types of eyebrows - 1 short, 1 long. The short ones were cut short at the bottom of grill extension molding. The long ones (also called hockey stick moldings) continued down the side of the fender to match up with the Malibu/SS side moldings. There was only 1 part number for the long moldings.

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 7:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
Your trained eye sees 1 correct molding for a 68 and 1 that guys use from a 69 because they can't find the correct ones or don't know the difference.

OK, so how do I know? I am just a 68 owner, not the authority. Others on TC are the experts. But here's what I have. From the assembly manual, 68 had 2 types of eyebrows - 1 short, 1 long. The short ones were cut short at the bottom of grill extension molding. The long ones (also called hockey stick moldings) continued down the side of the fender to match up with the Malibu/SS side moldings. There was only 1 part number for the long moldings.

I, for the most part, agree...

I own a 69, had 4 of em...never had a 68 although I do admire them constantly.

Would the corner grill piece be different as well?

I know the 69 grill pieces are plastic and different from 68. Do the 68 have 2 different types of metal corners? How do they cover up the space from the 68 being short?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in