67 L30 optional duals - resonators? - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 14, 3:41 PM Thread Starter
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

67 L30 optional duals - resonators?

In browsing for factory correct dual exhaust systems for a 1967 Chevelle, I came across the Gardner site. They give specifics for the big block systems and the L-79 small block systems that were as I expected, but I was surprised to see that they said resonators were included for the optional dual exhausts for the L30 327 cars. I always thought the 65 & 66 Chevelles used resonators on the dual systems and had outlets near the rear bumper, but I was surprised to see it stated the 67s L30 cars also did.
Can anyone out there confirm that in fact the 1967 Chevelles when ordered with the L30 327 and optional N10 dual exhaust system utilized the resonators & placed the outlets near the rear bumper?

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 14, 12:22 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Re: 67 L30 optional duals - resonators?

My GM parts book shows 66/67 to be the same part numbers, #3878305 LH and 306 RH resonator & pipe. The 66 AIM shows the resonators & pipes (albeit different part nos.) but the 67 AIM doesn't that I can find.

Other places list 65-67 as fitment as well. Can't say that I've ever seen a true factory dual exhaust on a 283/327 in 67 though, with or without them.

Maybe Jeff will join with his knowledge?

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 14, 6:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill Wente

[QUOTE=DaleM;6813546]My GM parts book shows 66/67 to be the same part numbers, #3878305 LH and 306 RH resonator & pipe. The 66 AIM shows the resonators & pipes (albeit different part nos.) but the 67 AIM doesn't that I can find. [QUOTE]

The 1967 Finger Tip Facts mentions optional dual exhaust with resonators and the parts book effective October 1 1966 also lists those resonator pipes along with hangers 3864749/750 for use with resonators, but I don't recall ever seeing a '67 with long tailpipes as would be required with resonators. I would question whether they made it to production

[QUOTE=DaleM;6813546]Can't say that I've ever seen a true factory dual exhaust on a 283/327 in 67 though, with or without them.

Dale, if you like, I could send you pics of the complete original dual exhaust on my '67 L30 Concours wagon. Decades ago my DD was another L30 Concours wagon that also had factory duals, and of course all L79s came standard with duals. Back when these cars near new, I had seen some L30 coupes with duals exh. also.

A few '67s and a '66

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 14, 7:12 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

That'd be great.

* Author:

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 14, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

When I looked in the Assembly Manual regarding the N10 option for the L30 327 engine, also when I reference the L79 327 engine which came standard with dual exhausts it simply showed the exhaust system details to be similar to 13817 & 13867 models (SS396) but said to refer to the Bill Of Materials. As of right now that leads to a dead-end unless someone has either the BOM or an original, untouched 48-year-old Chevelle L30 with N10 (I can always dream...)

There is a 1-owner 67 Chevelle Malibu SS (Canadian car) L30 N10 in the next town over from me but I haven't run into the guy in years. I would love to discuss what was on his car originally. From the Vintage Vehicle Services documentation I saw with the car back in 2001 it was a November 1966 build, equipped with A51 (Malibu SS w buckets & console), C08, F40, G80, J50, J52, L30, N10, N40, P61, U63 & U80. When I saw that it came with 7.75-14 tires with the J52 disc brakes I said to him that it would have come with the 14x5 Rally Wheels not the 14x6 he was rolling on (I didn't want to be that annoying "know-it-all" guy but I am glad I brought it up). He acknowledge that fact and said he still had them at home. I'll bet he could fill me in on the exhaust details if I could ever run into him again sometime... The car is Madeira Maroon with a black vinyl roof & interior.

"The more you know,

TC Gold #120

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 14, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

I had a chance to do some reviewing of the 1967 Chevelle Features and Specifications Manual. See below:

According to it the L79 came with dual exhausts similar to the SS396 EXCEPT that resonators were used (except on the wagons / El Caminos). It also shows the L30 came standard with a single exhaust system that had a resonator. Since the N10 dual exhaust system was an option on the L30, since the L30 with the single exhaust system used a resonator, and since the standard duals with the L79 had resonators, and since the L79 dual system could literally bolt in place of the standard single system, it seems reasonable to conclude that the L30 equipped with the optional N10 duals would use the same duals as the L79 (with resonators). The wagons did not use the resonators.
That supports what Gardiner sells.

I did cross-check against the AMA specs dated 10-6-66 and it doesnít really say one way or the other, but then again it also claims the L79 came standard with an 11" clutch and the L30 / 4-speeds came with a 10-bolt rear (phased in on Camaros & Chevy IIs; possibly phased in on Chevelles depending on plant). I have seen original early build Oshawa L30 M20 Chevelles & Beaumonts using the 12-bolt from the start (1967 & 1968).

"The more you know,

TC Gold #120

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 1:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill Wente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I had a chance to do some reviewing of the 1967 Chevelle Features and Specifications Manual. See below:

According to it the L79 came with dual exhausts similar to the SS396 EXCEPT that resonators were used (except on the wagons / El Caminos). It also shows the L30 came standard with a single exhaust system that had a resonator. Since the N10 dual exhaust system was an option on the L30, since the L30 with the single exhaust system used a resonator, and since the standard duals with the L79 had resonators, and since the L79 dual system could literally bolt in place of the standard single system, it seems reasonable to conclude that the L30 equipped with the optional N10 duals would use the same duals as the L79 (with resonators). The wagons did not use the resonators.
That supports what Gardiner sells.

I did cross-check against the AMA specs dated 10-6-66 and it doesnít really say one way or the other, but then again it also claims the L79 came standard with an 11" clutch and the L30 / 4-speeds came with a 10-bolt rear (phased in on Camaros & Chevy IIs; possibly phased in on Chevelles depending on plant). I have seen original early build Oshawa L30 M20 Chevelles & Beaumonts using the 12-bolt from the start (1967 & 1968).
Cam, I have not had much exposure to Canadian cars, so I can't speak for how our north of the border friends at Oshawa may have equiped cars.

Please reference my previous post about the accuracy (lack of) of Fingertip Facts dealership sales info. on this subject. There are at least three other errors on the page you posted that are not related to exhaust systems.

Of the many authentic original L79 '67s I have observed since these cars were new, including those I have owned past and present, with EP, ER (K19 smog) and ES (heavy duty clutch) engine codes, produced at all five US production plants, NONE have had long tail pipes as would be required for resonators.

That being said, if anyone can show proof that any were ORIGINALLY so equipped I would want to hear about it.

A few '67s and a '66
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 8:49 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Another thing I note on this that differs from other GM publications is the L30 got a 12-bolt but only with a 4-speed. According to Power Team charts, only the El Camino got a 12-bolt with a 4-speed - note ratios like 3.07 & 3.31 are 12-bolt.

Other Chevelles (300/300 Deluxe/Malibu) still got 10-bolt rear ends - note 10-bolt ratios like 3.08 & 3.36.

* Author:

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 8:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

My survivor L30 3-spd manual elcamino has its complete original single exhaust and does not have a resonator.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 9:11 PM Thread Starter
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
My survivor L30 3-spd manual elcamino has its complete original single exhaust and does not have a resonator.
Jeff, I was hoping you would weigh in, given your appreciation of survivors

True enough, the wagons & El Caminos didn't use the resonators.

I'm still mystified as to the true answer. I originally thought the 66s had the resonator(s) while the 67s didn't.

"The more you know,

TC Gold #120

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 10:13 PM
Senior Tech Team

A little off topic, but the last chart posted surprises me a little. I never thought that the 2.20 ratio m21 was available with 3.07 gears - optional or otherwise.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
A little off topic, but the last chart posted surprises me a little. I never thought that the 2.20 ratio m21 was available with 3.07 gears - optional or otherwise.
I think Jeff Helms himself owns one, a genuine survivor 66 SS396 L78 car with an M21 & 3.07:1 rear gears. It is a white car he bought perhaps a year ago from the original owner IIRC.

"The more you know,

TC Gold #120

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 14, 12:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill Wente

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
My '67 L34 C60 A/C El Camino still has it's born-with M21 and CD code 3.07 posi 12 bolt rear.

A few '67s and a '66
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
resonator , stock exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1763 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.