70 gauge cluster ? - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 14, 8:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jason

70 gauge cluster ?

I have searched and could not find the answer to my question, so here goes, On the back of the gauge cluster between the metal housing and the white/green plastic housing should there be a foam seal?

When I turn my dash lights on they do not seem to be as bright as they should be, and when you look around the edge of the gauges you can see the light shining around the edges instead of all the light shining on the gauge. You can turn the headlight switch all the way up to as bright as they will go and still is not very bright on the tach or the clock. The speedometer is the only one that is bright.

Sorry it is so long and thanks in advance for all the answers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 14, 8:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ray

Re: 70 gauge cluster ?

Are all your light bulbs working in the gauge cluster? I replace all of mine and it seemed to help. The old bulbs were not very bright.

This what mine looked liked after I put new bulbs in.

70 SS Chevelle Van Nuys Cal Built
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 14, 9:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jason

Shadowgray396, I have put new bulbs in and all of them look to be burning except the bulb on the amp gauge, which will not burn no matter how many new blubs I have tried.

The only gauge that is as bright as yours is my speedometer. I will try replacing the new bulbs with a different brand new bulb. Do you know if the bulbs should be the small bulbs or the bigger round bulbs?

Thanks for the quick reply!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 12:01 AM
Team Member
Steamy

I'm not sure what the factory bulb recommendation is for a '70, but if it's a 1895 2 candlepower, you can use a 1816 3 candlepower bulb for more light.
BillL

If you keep on livin', you're gonna get old.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Good livin' will speed it up, but it's worth it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Showroom

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 6:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jason

Ark68SS, Thanks, I will check to see what bulb number I am using and see if I can use the 1816 3 candlepower bulb. Hopefully I have the wrong bulbs in.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 7:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgray396 View Post
Are all your light bulbs working in the gauge cluster? I replace all of mine and it seemed to help. The old bulbs were not very bright.

This what mine looked liked after I put new bulbs in.
What bulbs are in yours?..is this normal brightness?..Mine seems to be dim

TC #0672
1972 SS 454 M22
"W " Code Midnight Bronze
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 9:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

70-72 clusters use 197 bulbs. A lot of times the sockets get a little green corrosion on the terminals that contact the bulbs and will not allow current through the bulb to light it. If you scrape the corrosion off the socket terminal, it will correct the problem.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 9:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ray

Mine are the 194, I just checked. I did what Tom mention cleaned all my sockets with a fine emery cloth to polish the contacts.

70 SS Chevelle Van Nuys Cal Built

Last edited by shadowgray396; Jun 24th, 14 at 8:23 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 11:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

On both turn signals, the brake light and the high beam light there should be foam seals attached to the steel housing.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 6:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jason

Thanks for all the answers, and I had the entire cluster out and cleaned each of the terminals that hold the bulbs and then put a new printed circuit board on. I am getting ready to take dash pad off and make sure I have the right bulbs in the cluster.

The knowledge of the people on this site is great for everyone in the car hobby!!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 7:15 PM
Gold Member
Joe

The key is A) new, correct bulbs B) thorough cleaning of all the assemblies and lens C) Verifying connections so there is not a voltage drop.

The internal paint is meant to reflect the light as well as give it the proper color hue. Lens material should be cleaned and polished on both the inside (soot develops) and the outside.

Do not try to use different bulbs. LEDs are okay, but there are mixed reviews since most LED retrofits don't give the same omni-directional light output.

194 Wedge lamps are used on full gauge cars. DO NOT use 168 lamps "because they are brighter". When you increase current (which your dimmer rheostat does not appreciate), you also increase the heat from power dissipated (your instrumentation assemblies don't appreciate that).

I encountered a nice original '70 SS with dummy light dash and it came with 1895 bulbs interestingly enough. Not sure if the '71 and '72 dummy SS assemblies also used the globular 1895's.

Another thing to think about when trying to use different bulbs is bulbs have different life ratings. Why put something in that will prematurely burn out compared to the proper # ?

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 7:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jason

Pulled the dash pad off and I have the 1895 bulbs in my dash. I was thinking I bought the same bulb that came out of mine, but not sure now.
So I guess I should try to find the 197 bulbs and replace them all again and see if makes it shine any better?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 8:20 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Changing bulb styles won't change brightness. If you go with 194 (it's not 197) bulbs you will need all new socket assemblies, FYI

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 8:23 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Are all lamps indeed lit up?

Dimmer on headlamp knob rotated to full brightness? Fuse block clips corrosion free (especially the little stubby 4 amp fuse)??

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 14, 8:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jason

So is the correct bulb a 197 like ShadowGray396 said or a 194 like Coppertop said? And can either of these be bought at the local auto parts or do they have to be ordered online?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1879 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.