kansas built chevelle with the l code on cowl tag - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 14, 5:23 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
johnny

Garage
kansas built chevelle with the l code on cowl tag

has anybody heard any information on that subject if it is true about that car being a ss car,i just bought a 69 chevelle ss last friday and it has a kansas cowl tag with the l on it and all the ss stuff is there even the rear suspension frame stiffners on both side of frame,bolt on the intermediate shaft from steering column, i have looked all over for build sheet except under the fenders i have not done that yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 14, 7:19 PM
Gold Member

Re: kansas built chevelle with the l code on cowl tag

It's a theory, unproven, with a substantial amount of evidence to suggest that it is true. Given the fact that reproduction Trim Tags and original style rivets are readily available, I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Bill Pritchard
69 SS396 Convertible L35 M40
69 SS396 'Post Sedan' L35 M20
"Life is short; eat dessert first." - Ogden Nash
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 14, 8:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chad

Do a search on this website. It's been discussed EXTENSIVELY many times.

Chad
TC #3153
ACES #7363

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old May 25th, 14, 10:55 AM
mr
Senior Tech Team
Don

Thumbs up Re: kansas built chevelle with the l code on cowl tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454bbss View Post
i just bought a 69 chevelle ss last friday, it has a kansas cowl tag with the [l] and all the ss stuff ...
★★ These are the only 1969-1972 Kansas City/Leeds built vehicles ★★
"that I have personally seen", that have the [L] on the trim tag & also had the original buildsheet.

𡒲 1969-1972 Chevelle Super Sports.
𡒲 1969-1972 El Camino Super Sports.
𡒲 1971 Monte Carlo SS454.
𡒲 1971 GMC Sprint SP Invader 454.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old May 25th, 14, 11:15 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Even IF the "L" theory is ever proven to be true, it's pretty easy to replace a trim tag.

Might look for the partial VIN stamped near the bell housing - oil filter if it has the original engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old May 25th, 14, 11:20 AM
Tech Team
autumngold

Anyone with a non ss with the l please step forward,time to prove this theory.

1970 ls-5 numbers matching
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old May 25th, 14, 3:57 PM
mr
Senior Tech Team
Don

Thumbs up Re: kansas built chevelle with the l code on cowl tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcrose View Post
Anyone with a non-SS with the [L] please step forward, time to prove this theory.
marcrose/autumngold,
You would think, after 45 years ... the number of 1969-1972 Leeds built Super Sport vehicles that SHOULD have come forward by now [May, 2014] w/o the [L] code, would be in the thousands .... at least, a few hundred.

𡒲 If the [L] code did'nt signal something, why did they even bother putting it on the trim tag.

It's been 7 years since the only Leeds built [non- L] coded Chevelle SS came forward, without the buildsheet ...
This 69's, the only Leeds [non- L] coded Chevelle SS, that I've heard of, he LAST posted on this site May 19, 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spi7 View Post
I've got a 69 KAN matching numbers and it has no [L] on the tag. I have the pop and the original bill of sale.
The guy I bought it off owned it since 1979. Not saying the cowl tag has ever been changed ...
Quote:
No buildsheet, pop matches the vin, block, trans and rearend.The vin is stamped on the block and the trans. I bought it off the second owner, I have a copy of the registration from 79 when he bought it.
I don't know if the tag was ever changed for sure.
St 69 13637 kan 192341 bdy tr 790, 51 or 61 for paint (someone took sandpaper to it)
It looks like 61 but I found some original blue paint, so I think it's 51 ?? 12a 05473.

ST 69 13637 KAN 192341 BDY
TR 790 51 51 PNT
12A 05473

Quote:
previous owner found the build sheet under the rear seat and he had the original window sticker, he thinks he still might have them somewhere. I keep bugging him!
I also have the original bill of sale, the car cost $3,941.40. Danny

I doubt you'll be hearing from spi7, so, maybe someone will else come forward with a buildsheet & pictures ...

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old May 25th, 14, 10:45 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr View Post

𡒲 If the [L] code did'nt signal something, why did they even bother putting it on the trim tag.

Of course it meant something, it's just that so far, nobody knows what it meant.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old May 25th, 14, 11:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Of course it meant something, it's just that so far, nobody knows what it meant.
This statement is entirely remiss. While the L code has certainly not been nailed down to it's intended meaning, it HAS been associated with countless documented supersports and as far as I know, 1 malibu. Let's repeat that for clarity.....

Leeds plant "L" code/SuperSports, too many to count.
Leeds platn "L" code/non-SuperSports, wait for it......1
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 12:22 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
This statement is entirely remiss. While the L code has certainly not been nailed down to it's intended meaning, it HAS been associated with countless documented supersports and as far as I know, 1 malibu. Let's repeat that for clarity.....

Leeds plant "L" code/SuperSports, too many to count.
Leeds platn "L" code/non-SuperSports, wait for it......1
"remiss"?

Look, I'm NOT saying that the theory is or is not correct, I just posted the facts, nothing else. (well except I did say "of course it meant something" )

Otherwise everybody on eBay will be saying "It's true, I saw it on Team Chevelle.

Actually, the true fact is the meaning of the "L" on the trim tag is unknown.
Let's repeat that for clarity.....
the true fact is the meaning of the "L" on the trim tag is unknown.

__

re·miss
[ri-mis] Show IPA
adjective
negligent, careless, or slow in performing one's duty, business, etc.: He's terribly remiss in his work.
characterized by negligence or carelessness.
lacking force or energy; languid; sluggish.
Origin:
1375–1425; late Middle English < Latin remissus (past participle of remittere to send back, slacken, relax); see remit

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 7:59 AM
mr
Senior Tech Team
Don

Red face Re: kansas built chevelle with the l code on cowl tag

Quote:
Otherwise, everybody on eBay will be saying "It's true, I saw it on Team Chevelle".

Let's repeat that for clarity ..... "It's true, I saw it on Team Chevelle".
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Ch...US_Cars_Trucks

𡒲 It's a very rare car being an original factory SS 454 450hp car that is well documented and in the LS6 registry.
𡒲 It is an original, #'s matching 454ci 450hp car with a T-400 automatic transmission.
𡒲 Build sheet, pro-tec-o plate, LS6 registry paperwork, notarized documents from the original owner.

Dean,
Did you mean like this certified LS6 on ebay, with the [70 CR] SS454 Monte Carlo transmission.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Dean, as many times as you've been involved in this argument, you should be well aware of the overwhelming statistics associating the L code with Supersport optioned chevelles. Someone may mistake you for an authority and, well, I'd be remiss if I just sat back and let that happen.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 11:15 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
Dean, as many times as you've been involved in this argument, you should be well aware of the overwhelming statistics associating the L code with Supersport optioned chevelles. Someone may mistake you for an authority and, well, I'd be remiss if I just sat back and let that happen.
Not trying to be nettle but like I said, I'm not saying one way or the other because I/we just don't know.

I just have to chime in with the truth every time I see the subject come up, for Goggle's sake because...

The truth is not;
negligent, careless, or slow in performing one's duty, business, etc.: He's terribly remiss in his work.
characterized by negligence or carelessness.
lacking force or energy; languid; sluggish.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old May 26th, 14, 11:17 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

OK, this should be enough for future Google searches about an L on a trim tag, I'm done.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old May 29th, 14, 7:25 AM
mr
Senior Tech Team
Don

Question Re: kansas built chevelle with the l code on cowl tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr View Post
Quote:
Otherwise, everybody on eBay will be saying "It's true, I saw it on Team Chevelle".

Let's repeat that for clarity ..... "It's true, I saw it on Team Chevelle".
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Ch...US_Cars_Trucks

𡒲 It's a very rare car being an original factory SS454 450hp car that is in the LS6 registry.
𡒲 It is an original, #'s matching 454ci 450hp car with a T-400 automatic transmission.
𡒲 Build sheet, pro-tec-o plate, LS6 registry paperwork, notarized documents from the original owner.

Dean,
Did you mean like this certified LS6 on ebay, with the [70 CR] SS454 Monte Carlo transmission.

bump ... apparently this got lost, in the shuffle ...

Dean, is this what you meant about Team Chevelle & ebay ???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1912 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.