1970 Correct markings, paint tabs, stickers, etc. - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 13, 6:19 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
jerry

1970 Correct markings, paint tabs, stickers, etc.

Does anyone have any pictures of the correct paint markings, frame decal locations, part decal locations, pen marks, etc?
My father and I started to restore his original 1970 SS396 a few months ago and having fun doing it. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	038.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	60925   Click image for larger version

Name:	042.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	60926  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 13, 1:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ray

Re: 1970 Correct markings, paint tabs, stickers, etc.

What plant was your car built at? Also welcome to the site.

70 SS Chevelle Van Nuys Cal Built
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 13, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
jerry

It was a Kansas City car, built in March 1970. It has 19000 original miles and did find the build sheets in both of the inner front fenders. Thanks for the welcome.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 13, 7:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ray

With 19,000 miles I would think the chalk marks might still be seen on the firewall.
Here's one post
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...sas+city+marks

70 SS Chevelle Van Nuys Cal Built
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 13, 10:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

When I lived in Mpls I had three survivor Leeds LS6's in the neighborhood. All three had pretty much the same inspection marks on them and were late March early April cars all built within two weeks of each other. Also, a recently found green Leed's LS6 found nearby where I currently live also has similar marks. Unfortunately most all the photos I took were on film and not digital.

You will likely find a "B" pr "13" on the top side of the cowl just under where the drivers fender bolts to the cowl. Unfortunately I cannot find my photo of this.

Leeds cars all had sprayed undercoating on the firewall above the heater box (photo 1). I usually also see the series number in yellow grease pencil under the black paint somewhere near the vicinity of the one in the photo.

Look in the recessed area of the firewall directly behind the distributor. If you look on a Leeds buildsheet you will see a stamped four digit number in box #1. This is usually found on TOP of the paint in that location also in yellow grease pencil. (photo #2). I also commonly see the two digit paint code written in yellow grease pencil on top of the black paint right behind the booster on Leeds cars. Also look for a yellow line right near where the wire harness clip is behind the booster and also where the cowl relay is attached at the firewall. These were both done to let the line worker know to drill the hole and attach those items there.

As far as the suspension items go, I find these to be fairly common in all plants though no two are ever alike. I find blue, green, orange, pink, and yellow marks on the spindles and usually orange on the steering arm. I have posted many photos of these in the past and you can also read about it here. https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397927

The one thing I don't usually see from the other plants is the tie rod sleeve inspection marks but have found them on all the Leeds cars. (See photo #3) Disregard the incorrect 71 and later sway bar brackets as they are incorrect on this car as the 70's did not have holes in them like these shown in the photo. There are two yellow stripes on the center link though I have seen several with white or blue. (photo 4)

Automatic cars have always had part number decals on the coolant lines near the radiator.

M22 cars have a black "WO" stamped on the top of the case (photo 5). Orange overspray on the bellhousing will vary from very slight to full covereage depending on who was painting it at the Tonowanda plant.

There are MANY other details so post questions when you get to them. At the very least, strip the car very carefully especially the suspension and firewall pieces. Use a solvent on the suspension pieces and look for any color markings taking lots of photos to document. On the firewall, lightly wet sand with 400-600 grit paper to bring out any marks only after you carefully washed it. You will find some inspection marks on top of the black paint while others are on bare metal of the firewall. You can check out my threads and my website for many more photos. Hope this helps you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-013V.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	60990   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-162S.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	60991   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1651.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	60992   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_3905.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	60993  

Name:	tn_072709 003.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	60994  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Musclecar Restoration and Design
Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

Specializing in the LS6 Chevelle and Hi po Chevrolets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 13, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
jerry

Thanks for your help Rick, I got another question for you. My build sheet says pk and or for the prop shaft does the first color get repeated, and do you always have to have three colors on the prop shaft? Is there a certain location for the stripes? What does the colors pink and orange mean? Thanks again for your info. and I'm sure I'll run across a couple more. Jerry
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 13, 6:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Kansas cars use three stripes and from my experience they are done Pink Orange Pink with no other stripes on the shaft. However.........I HAVE seen at least one Kansas shaft that painted them as Orange Pink Orange. I think as long as the two colors are present in either combination you are good. Shafts that I have seen from other plants still usually have three stripes but they often times use the two listed on the build sheet and then a thinner orange stripe. Baltimore cars are good for this. The stripes vary in location so I would not lose a lot of sleep over placement. The colors are put there to aid the assembly line workman in grabing the correct shaft based on the build sheet codes. I am not sure what the thin orange stripe denotes.

Musclecar Restoration and Design
Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

Specializing in the LS6 Chevelle and Hi po Chevrolets

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 13, 9:57 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
jerry

Thanks a million, clears up questions I had. Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2398 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.