LS6 total restoration details - Page 6 - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #76 of 144 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 12, 5:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Elroy

Garage
Re: LS6 total restoration details

beautiful work there Rick !

66 SS396 resto pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 144 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 12, 2:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Here are some shots of the orange inspection marks on an original unrestored low mileage LS5. You can see two orange marks on the brake lines near the booster, one mark just above the right rear brake line bracket on the rear housing and the last photo shows the orange mark just in front of the rear brake line to frame bracket. I see this on a LOT of cars and they are all usually in similar areas and it does not seem to matter which plant interestingly enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_2252.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	59313   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_2253.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	59314   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_3522.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	59315   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_3524.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	59316  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Musclecar Restoration and Design
Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

Specializing in the LS6 Chevelle and Hi po Chevrolets

post #78 of 144 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 12, 3:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Here are some before and after shots of the valve on the rear frame crossmember. The valves have a date stamp and manufacturing code on them as well as other codes that I am not aware of their meaning. The julian date is 098 of 0, or better known as the 98th date of 1970 which would be April 8th. This happens to be off an Atlanta car. The valve itself is natural brass, the attaching brackets were natural unplated steel which is peened onto the valve and the bolt was black phosphate. This one happens to have an anchor head on it. The valves access bolt is dull zinc plated. You can also see the orange inspection mark on the brake line that was reinstalled.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tn_IMG_4457.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	59317   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_5432.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	59318  

Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

post #79 of 144 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 12, 3:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Here are some shots of the rear ends brake distribution block and line brackets. The brackets are natural steel and the bolt is black phosphate. The line brackets are a black zinc from what I can tell. I believe I have also seen some of these in grey phosphate. These are mounted on the left and right side of the rear cover and can vary by one bolt up or down and I have seen them installed both ways. Chris White has made a perfect reproduction of the brackets and maybe he can list the suppliers of these for anyone interested. The come ready to install other than I would suggest Boe-Shield or clearing them. I thought I had some photos of the mounting bolts and am not finding them so I will take some and post later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tn_IMG_5803.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	59319   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_5952.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	59320  

Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

post #80 of 144 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 12, 3:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Here are the front brake line mounting brackets. These are used on disc brake (and drums but with a different part number) and mount the front hard line to the flex line. I have see both 991LT or 577LT for the left side and 990RT or 576RT for the right side. The 900 series seem to be more common and I have no idea why the different number as they are totally identical other than the 500 series are a thicker gauge of steel. I have seen them dipped in black lacquer but for the most part these are bare natural steel so finding good donors is always a chore. Seen in the photo are a blasted RBW bolt and a black phosphated bolt as they should be. I see several variations of mounting hardware here with anchor being the most common.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tn_IMG_5942.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	59323   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_5944.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	59324   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_5943.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	59325  

Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

post #81 of 144 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 12, 4:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Duke

Thumbs up Re: LS6 total restoration details

No matter how one feels about "trailer queens", we are all getting quite the education here. Thank you , Rick, for taking the time not only to snap the pics but also to give us a little "write-up" about each detail. Please keep them coming because I'm learning a lot!

Duke
post #82 of 144 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 12, 3:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Yes Rick, Thank you for all the detail.

Nelson

_
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming: "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"
post #83 of 144 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 12, 2:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Let me echo everyone else, Rick--thank you very much for taking the time to photograph your work on this car and share the photos and info with us. It's very interesting and very informative. You mention several times about coating various hardware and bolts. Do you coat them yourself or send them somewhere? Thanks again! Have a happy (and safe) New Year.
post #84 of 144 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 12, 3:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Thank you Mark and everyone else. I am glad that people appreciate it. I have been meaning to do this for years but just lacked the time and just figured it needed to be done.

As far as the coatings, some plating is sent out such as gold cad, bright zinc, grey phosphate and some things are done in house like black phosphate and dull zinc as well as some proprietary coatings. Many of the brackets on these cars were dipped in black lacquer which I also do and will go into that in more detail later.

Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

post #85 of 144 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 13, 4:04 PM
Tech Team
Johnny

Rick.
Fantastic pics!!! Thanks for taking the time to do it.
MUCH appreciated!

Johnny
1971 Chevelle SS
454 4 speed
Original Nevada Silver D88 black stripe car
(GM documented by George Zappora from vintage services)

1969 Chevelle SS
396 / 4 spd
L-78 / M-22
(GM documented)

post #86 of 144 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 13, 5:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Continuing on with brakes, the next item is the brake distribution and pressure switch valve (call it what you want). There are two types that come on the 70 Chevelle disc brake cars. One is cast iron and the other one brass. Of the cars I have torn down and documented, Baltimore, Arlington and Atlanta seem to use the cast type though I have seen some Atlanta cars also using the brass on occasion. Leeds seems to use the brass type as a general rule. I have not had enough Van Nuys or Flint cars to determine what is most common but I believe in all cases their usage was due to which supplier was used demographically.
They both also use different types of date coding as can be seen in the photos. The cast one in this case used 0 27 D which translates into 1970, 27th of April. The brass uses the Julian date code of 0 104 or 1970, April 14th. The internal parts are not interchangeable between these two units and the switches are also slightly different. The cast iron unit uses a cadmium plated switch nut while the brass uses a dull zinc one.
Also note the difference in the mounting bracket. The cast iron uses a gold cadmium mounting bracket with part number 2225757 stamped on the backside which is bolted onto the cast unit with a black phosphated bolt. The brass unit also uses a gold cadmium bracket but it is swaged onto the bottom of the housing and has a patent number stamped onto the backside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tn_IMG_5963.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	59543   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_5964.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	59544   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_5965.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	59545   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_5967.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	59546  

Name:	tn_IMG_5966.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	59547   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_5968.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	59548   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_5969.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	59549  

Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

post #87 of 144 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 13, 5:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

Great work Rick.

1970 Chevelle LS6
1970 Malibu convertible
post #88 of 144 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 13, 6:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

The mere fact you are willing to take the time and do this Rick is a testament to your work ethic and character and I applaud you good sir!
Thank you for doing this as it helps us po folk do it right,

Marc S
post #89 of 144 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 13, 6:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Onto the front brake lines. Again I will stress, I see about every bolt head and body design imaginable on these cars and same goes for the brake and fuel line clamps so do NOT beat your head against the wall trying to determine what the 'correct' color the brake line clamp should be or what is the correct head design. With regards to the front crossover line I have seen both green and blue and in both a semi transparent and solid color. The sold color is more of an olive drab. The passenger side clamp that holds the cross over line has generally been blue and in either type of color finish. I have dozens of original clips in my inventory and there is once again no rhyme or reason and that is why I typically replicate what I find on every car assuming that the car has never been molested.

The photo of the unrestored hard line/flex hose connection shows the typical horseshoe clip. I have found these clips in natural steel, black phosphate, grey phosphate and even occassionaly gold cadmium. Most originals have square corners though I have come across very few that have the corners cut out of them similar but less pronounced than the reproductions. There were a few suppliers of these so they can vary slightly in several areas of the clip. They generally have a "L" on the outside lip or a very small triangle in the inside of the lip depending on the manufacturer. Again, no real rhyme or reason.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tn_IMG_5425.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	59550   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_5424.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	59551   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_3482.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	59552  

Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

post #90 of 144 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 13, 6:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Moving forward onto the front flex hoses, I do not have any good photos of originals vs reproductions in my files though I do have some coming so as soon as they get here I will post photos to compare to. Also, the font and color is completely wrong on the reproductions as well as the clamped ends and the area where the banjo bolt goes through is incorrect. Since there is no good supplier of these I will outline how I make them better once my set of repos gets here from In Line Tube. In the mean time here is a photo of the 68 Yenko Camaro frame with a set of repo lines LH/RH that were restamped using rubber stamps I made MANY years ago thanks to the help of Chris White who supplied me with the font and size. These are usually done in a bright orange though I have also rarely seen a medium red. When I post photos of the repos during the restamp process I will cover that more in detail. It is VERY time consuming to correct these and this is likely one of the reasons you see a hefty price on some of the ones that have been sold on ebay that were restamped. Since they were originally done with a roll stamp machine they were very true and straight from the factory as well as the stamp went all the way to the bottom of the ribbing so trying to reproduce that can take several tries.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tn_IMG_1210.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	59553   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_1221.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	59554  

Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2256 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.