1965 and 1966 Floor Shift Carpet Grommet - Page 9 - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #121 of 133 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 11, 12:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jarrett

Re: 1965 and 1966 Floor Shift Carpet Grommet

Thanks for the reply, Mark.

Any insight as to whether or not these were used on cars with rubber mats?

'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 133 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 11, 9:07 PM
Team Member
Mark

Not sure but I'd doubt it. The grommet seems to be designed for something 3/8" thick. I think it would fit poorly with a plastic mat.

Mark
66 Chevelle SS

AACA Senior Grand National
MCACN Gold Concours
post #123 of 133 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 11, 3:19 PM
Tech Team

As CTMARK said.
It works similar to the high beam switch grommet, with one exception; it would have been stapled to the carpet with staples about the size of pencil lead on the underside.
I would assume the purpose for it was to keep the edges of the carped from fraying.

As for the rubber floor, I dont think it was made for it.

I prefer two boots. The first goes against the floor which keeps it weather proof.
"floor, boot, carpet or mat, boot, ring"

MikeS ~ Gateway Area Chevelle Club #004

post #124 of 133 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 11, 10:54 AM
Team Member
Jerry

I just installed a tko to replace my muncie. With the increase in tunnel size for the tko, I thought the new carpet might fit better over the tunnel. I ordered a trim ring and had planned on installing it.
Well, the carpet is still "baggy" at the front of the tunnel.
Right now I installed a boot to the floor, carpet and then another boot with the retainer ring. Looks ok but 2 boots on there seem to affect the shifter slightly.
I think I may try the grommet and see how it looks.
CT MARK, did you use staples to secure the carpet to the rubber ring?

Jerry
65 Beaumont
L96 6 Liter
Straub hyd. roller
Tremec 5 speed

post #125 of 133 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 11, 3:18 PM
Tech Team

Many years ago I went thru a search and destroy mission to find a carpet grommet. They were around $.85 if I remember correctly, and came in the color of your interior. Many of you have the "drawings" and maybe GM part number if you were to look closely "wink"...
Upon my search, I came to realize the metal hump floor repair patch for the 66/67 WITHOUT console was incorrect and everyone sold the part as to be correct for cars. To this day, many still sell the incorrect 4speed metal patch kit floor hump. I still have the scrap metal in the shed rusting away.
So, what this did was compound the problem when you bought CARPET and trim rings and even the 67 chrome bezel! Carpet and other aftermarket companies would take the incorrect sheet metal sold to them by the Chevelle parts companies assuming the part to be correct, then the carpet company would use the molded floor patch parts and wooden blocks to PRE-MOLD the carpet that you purchase hence molded incorrectly. I discovered this when I purchased a pre-molded rubber floor cover many moons ago.
What’s my point? If you buy pre-molded carpet or rubber floor for a 66/67 Chevelle for a non-console car with 4speed, you will likely have too much carpet or rubber bunch up at the shifter hole that will not allow proper lament when you try to screw down the trim ring……….. (NOTE: I want to add, I might need to add all 4speed floors with or without carpet. As I was I thinking the problem might be the same for both… it’s been awhile…)
My suggestion to be on the safe side is to purchase carpet/rubber floor for the standard Chevelle with a bench seat automatic on the column. Better fitment, lays flatter…
If anyone has any updated info I’m not aware of, please let me know. I’ve been out of the loop a couple years.

MikeS ~ Gateway Area Chevelle Club #004

post #126 of 133 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 11, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mitch

OK, I bought the grommet but it doesn't look/fit very well with my rectangular Hurst boot. Does anyone have a source for a flatter, oval boot with flat hole for a Hurst handle for a better fit/appearance ?

70 Chevelle SS 396, M20 Oshawa built Z25 project.
66 Chevelle SS 396, Atlanta built 138 driver/project.
67 Camaro, ss/rs 350 LA built driver/project.
62 Impala SS with a transplant 409
1954 210 2 dr sedan 292 6 cyl, straight axle project
38 Chev coupe...355, 200r4, 8.5" 3.42 posi
69 Chev C10
89 R3500 roll back car carrier
post #127 of 133 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 11, 12:26 PM
Banned
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66Chevelle View Post
What’s my point? If you buy pre-molded carpet or rubber floor for a 66/67 Chevelle for a non-console car with 4speed, you will likely have too much carpet or rubber bunch up at the shifter hole that will not allow proper lament when you try to screw down the trim ring……….. (NOTE: I want to add, I might need to add all 4speed floors with or without carpet. As I was I thinking the problem might be the same for both… it’s been awhile…)
My suggestion to be on the safe side is to purchase carpet/rubber floor for the standard Chevelle with a bench seat automatic on the column. Better fitment, lays flatter…
If anyone has any updated info I’m not aware of, please let me know. I’ve been out of the loop a couple years.
x2...just went through this ordeal and ended up with carpet for an automatic column shift to use with my 4 speed console.

Corey banned permanently on 3-6-20 for continued abuse and generally being a time-wasting PITA. This guy doesn't seem to be able to get the idea that nobody has been hired to follow him around cleaning his messes.This action taken by Tom Mobley

If anybody wants to re-instate him please contact me or post in the mods section first. I can be reached at
post #128 of 133 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 11, 12:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream66 View Post
x2...just went through this ordeal and ended up with carpet for an automatic column shift to use with my 4 speed console.
In 64-67 there were only two part #'s for each color of front carpet -- one for a bench seat car and one for a bucket seat car. (And obviously each color had a different pair of #'s). But the carpet was not different based on shifter type or based on console versus non-console. The assembly line workers simply had to cut out the floor shifter hole and/or the console bracket holes if needed for that particular car.

And the only difference between the bench seat carpet and the bucket seat carpet was that the bench carpet was cut out all the way across under the seat, whereas the bucket carpet is not cut out in between the two seats over the hump. But they were not molded to different shaped floor pan molds.

If the repro carpet mfr's had just done a little research, they could have saved a lot of tooling costs (and a lot of returns) by just having two versions of each color of carpet!

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #129 of 133 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 13, 7:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Sebert

well, got mine in...not real happy with it as the carpet doesn't lay well on the hump and effects the grommet. I do need to say that this was installed on a carpet that had already been in the car and had the metal ring on top up until the change last week.
I think If I did it with a fresh carpet install...or reinstall It could have came out better than trying to fasten the boot & metal ring while tugging up on the carpet.
I also think after a little time in it may start to lay a little better
Anyway.....

Seb (Seeb)
TC #2794

post #130 of 133 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 13, 10:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Verle

Use a blow dryer to heat up the carpet, that will help it lay down better.

Verle
Tulsa, Ok
65 Chevelle L79 since Feb 1965

post #131 of 133 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 13, 10:59 PM
Tech Team

I got a red 64 one I think if I haven't misplaced it. Is it the same as a 65-66?
post #132 of 133 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 14, 10:41 AM
Tech Team

Did you look at the Parts Place they may have a reproduction ? If not I do know someone who has a lot of NOS stuff BUT you going to have to purchase it, he's not going to give it away..!
post #133 of 133 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 17, 12:52 PM
Tech Team
Walt

Steele Rubber Products - Seal, control lever
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8a3ddbfda9fe081aae4233ac15c0.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	417290  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1258 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.