Wondering about the side trim on the 1965 Chevelle Malibu (Not SS) - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

4Likes
  • 2 Post By LKN BCK
  • 1 Post By 1966_L78
  • 1 Post By d_ski23

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 20, 1:41 PM Thread Starter

Question Wondering about the side trim on the 1965 Chevelle Malibu (Not SS)

I currently am restoring a '65 Malibu, unfortunately not an SS. I want to restore it as close to original as I can, but I do not like how the side trim looks on the Malibu. I know that the SS does not have the side trim, but I don't want to rebadge it as an SS because of originality. The car did not have the side trim on it when I purchased it, but it was in pretty bad shape, so it could have just fallen off or been removed prior to me getting it. However, it did get me thinking if there was a factory option to remove or exclude the side trim. Hopefully someone can help clear this up for me!

Thanks,
Ski
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 20, 11:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

Re: Wondering about the side trim on the 1965 Chevelle Malibu (Not SS)

Option or no option... to me the mid body line looks so much
better and cleaner without the trim.
LeoP and MikeMalibu like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 20, 7:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ski23 View Post
I currently am restoring a '65 Malibu, unfortunately not an SS. I want to restore it as close to original as I can, but I do not like how the side trim looks on the Malibu. I know that the SS does not have the side trim, but I don't want to rebadge it as an SS because of originality. The car did not have the side trim on it when I purchased it, but it was in pretty bad shape, so it could have just fallen off or been removed prior to me getting it. However, it did get me thinking if there was a factory option to remove or exclude the side trim. Hopefully someone can help clear this up for me!

Thanks,
Ski
Look up 1965 Chevelle models. The 300 was the base with no options, it had no trim on the side of it. The Malibu had side trim and was thought to be an upgrade. It also helps catch doors before they ding your paint. The SS had the top fender trim and was the top of the line model.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 20, 9:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, yeah I knew about the differences in trim between the three models, I just don't know if there was an option for the Malibu to come without the side trim.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 20, 11:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ski23 View Post
Thanks, yeah I knew about the differences in trim between the three models, I just don't know if there was an option for the Malibu to come without the side trim.
No, no option, the side trim was a standard part of the Malibu model. If you want to be correct, restore and install the trim. However, its all up to you. Unless YOU feel the need to be completely correct, then its just a personal decision. I personally like the car without the Malibu side trim, and it doesn't have to be badged as an SS...
pduncan likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 20, 4:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I don't really like how it looks either, so I will probably just not reinstall the trim and just restore the rest of the car to original specs.
pduncan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in