1970-72 SS Cowl Incuction Hood Original - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 3:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

1970-72 SS Cowl Incuction Hood Original

Anyone have one that maybe is off the car ?..To make a stencil for me where the emblems go?

TC #0672
1972 SS 454 M22
"W " Code Midnight Bronze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 5:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: 1970-72 SS Cowl Incuction Hood Original

Did you contact the Parts Place like I suggested?

If you were to remove the pegs from the rear of the emblems and use 3M Double Sided Automotive Quality Tape you won't have to drill holes in your hood. Plus the CI Emblems were taped to the hood in 1970 anyway. (https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3). That way someone with a '70-72 CI Hood can simply measure where the emblems themselves are positioned. Not to mention the fact that unless you are very good at drilling holes in sheetmetal and have a high end drill bit set, you'll mess up the holes, especially if the hood is already painted...

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b.../08069/4462054

FYI: The following measurements came from an original GM 1970 CI Hood in my junk pile.

Passenger Side: Measure from the rear of the hood. The REAR-most holes on both the Passenger and Driver sides are 5 3/8ths inches forward of the rear edge of the hood (no chrome strip). Both holes are more or less equidistant on the slope of the bulge between the top of the cowl hood and the "bottom." IF YOU MUST drill holes use that 5 3/8ths as a starting point. Then take your "COWL" Emblem and measure the distance between the pins -- that distance will be where your second hole would go from the first hole (please, please don't drill holes: use tape). NOTE that the holes are not level, they are offset somewhat up and down-wise from a lateral center line. Once you have the holes for the "COWL" Emblem figured out, the initial hole for the "INDUCTION" Emblem is 8 15/16ths inches forward of the rear edge of the hood. Now, take your "INDUCTION" Emblem and measure the distance between the pegs -- that distance will be where your furthest forward hole would go. There are 3 pegs, measure for each one.

Driver Side: The REAR-most hole on the Driver side is also 5 3/8ths inches forward of the rear edge of the hood. Again, the hole is more or less equidistant within the cowl top to bottom. Use that 5 3/8ths as a starting hole for the "INDUCTION" Emblem. Take your "INDUCTION" Emblem and measure the distance between the 3 pins -- that distance will be where your second and third holes would go. The first hole for the "COWL" Emblem is approximately 12 inches from the rear of the hood. Do your measuring.

It might help to take some blue masking tape and make your own template: plot out where the emblem pin holes go -- double check how much the pins are up or down from a lateral center line. Drill test holes using the tape in sheetmetal or corrugated cardboard before you try making holes in your hood. Redo the blue masking tape and apply it to the hood and drill (if you must).

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 7:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thank you..I just thought maybe with as many hoods that are sold..there would be a stencil kit..I looked at the emblems with the double sided tape I dont care much for the look..my last resort..is trying to get the measurements..buy the repro emblems and cut the pegs off and use the automotive double side tape..I have several pairs of th eoriginals in a boxs but I dont want to cut them..thanks for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
Did you contact the Parts Place like I suggested?

If you were to remove the pegs from the rear of the emblems and use 3M Double Sided Automotive Quality Tape you won't have to drill holes in your hood. Plus the CI Emblems were taped to the hood in 1970 anyway. (https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3). That way someone with a '70-72 CI Hood can simply measure where the emblems themselves are positioned. Not to mention the fact that unless you are very good at drilling holes in sheetmetal and have a high end drill bit set, you'll mess up the holes, especially if the hood is already painted...

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b.../08069/4462054

FYI: The following measurements came from an original GM 1970 CI Hood in my junk pile.

Passenger Side: Measure from the rear of the hood. The REAR-most holes on both the Passenger and Driver sides are 5 3/8ths inches forward of the rear edge of the hood (no chrome strip). Both holes are more or less equidistant on the slope of the bulge between the top of the cowl hood and the "bottom." IF YOU MUST drill holes use that 5 3/8ths as a starting point. Then take your "COWL" Emblem and measure the distance between the pins -- that distance will be where your second hole would go from the first hole (please, please don't drill holes: use tape). NOTE that the holes are not level, they are offset somewhat up and down-wise from a lateral center line. Once you have the holes for the "COWL" Emblem figured out, the initial hole for the "INDUCTION" Emblem is 8 15/16ths inches forward of the rear edge of the hood. Now, take your "INDUCTION" Emblem and measure the distance between the pegs -- that distance will be where your furthest forward hole would go. There are 3 pegs, measure for each one.

Driver Side: The REAR-most hole on the Driver side is also 5 3/8ths inches forward of the rear edge of the hood. Again, the hole is more or less equidistant within the cowl top to bottom. Use that 5 3/8ths as a starting hole for the "INDUCTION" Emblem. Take your "INDUCTION" Emblem and measure the distance between the 3 pins -- that distance will be where your second and third holes would go. The first hole for the "COWL" Emblem is approximately 12 inches from the rear of the hood. Do your measuring.

It might help to take some blue masking tape and make your own template: plot out where the emblem pin holes go -- double check how much the pins are up or down from a lateral center line. Drill test holes using the tape in sheetmetal or corrugated cardboard before you try making holes in your hood. Redo the blue masking tape and apply it to the hood and drill (if you must).

TC #0672
1972 SS 454 M22

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 8:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1978 View Post
Thank you..I just thought maybe with as many hoods that are sold..there would be a stencil kit..I looked at the emblems with the double sided tape I dont care much for the look..my last resort..is trying to get the measurements..buy the repro emblems and cut the pegs off and use the automotive double side tape..I have several pairs of th eoriginals in a boxs but I dont want to cut them..thanks for your help
Drill holes if you must. The originals used Double Back tape from the factory. Use the measurements I listed to make your own template.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
Drill holes if you must. The originals used Double Back tape from the factory. Use the measurements I listed to make your own template.
Thank you..so if I do cut the posts off the repro's do I measure back from the hood edge to the first hole and then to the edge of the lettering?

TC #0672
1972 SS 454 M22
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 20, 5:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1978 View Post
Thank you..so if I do cut the posts off the repro's do I measure back from the hood edge to the first hole and then to the edge of the lettering?
Yes, that would work, measure where the pins are prior to removing them. measure to the first hole, then subtract the distance from the rear edge of the Emblem to the first pin.

Our You Tube Vids:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in