'66 Knee knocker tach problem... - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By 67since67
  • 1 Post By hydro462
  • 1 Post By 1966_L78

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 6th, 20, 5:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

'66 Knee knocker tach problem...

Hi all,

My tach has been dead for a long time and I was thinking about getting a new one from one of the repop parts suppliers.
Today the tach was showing signs of life (must of read my mind about it's future trip to the garbage can...), so today cruising around I glanced down at it and it was reading 800rpm but really should have said 2400ish rpm but wouldn't go higher with more revs then sitting idling it read 400rpm when engine idles at 800-850rpm.

Hei has the MSD module with the built in rev limiter that they made 10-12 years ago also.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 7th, 20, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: '66 Knee knocker tach problem...

Hmmm I hoped/thought someone would have some idea what to do/look for.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 7th, 20, 1:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill Wente

DO NOT toss that OEM tach! It has value, even if not working.

Having it repaired or upgraded to modern electronics would be preferable to repop.

I have no experience with how HEI/MSD might affect an OEM tach??
davewho1 likes this.

A few '67s and a '66

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 7th, 20, 8:01 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Frankly those tach's were very hard to read while in motion. I picked up a shift light and hid it under the dash, it lets me know the perfect time to shift...
boyd66k20 likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 17th, 20, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'm not really a racer but will play once in a while, just having it work would be nice.
there were a couple things that may have been wrong:

1) I switched from point to HEI a long time ago and cut the brown wire to remove the loop terminal for the points coil
to add plug for the HEI in my youthful haste I just twisted the wires together and taped the up. The connection was
loose so I cut cut and re-stripped wires and soldered this time.

2) Also the bolt that holds the tach to the dash (which is the ground path was not very tight so snugged it up.

I haven't started the car since doing the above because a leaking pinion seal grew to something bigger and is taking the spotlight now.
Thx,
D
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 17th, 20, 11:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I have an HEI, and an aftermarket knee knocker, all is well, and has been for many years.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 17th, 20, 2:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
I have an HEI, and an aftermarket knee knocker, all is well, and has been for many years.
I used to have an HEI module (Dave's small body HEI conversion) and an OEM knee-knocker, never had a problem.

I was going to suggest checking all the connections...

If those don't help, perhaps it needs a "tach filter"... I think MSD makes one...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold

Sold

&

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 17th, 20, 5:12 PM
Tech Team

Don't think the old tach has any voodoo electronics inside. Any good electronics guy could probably test and repair it for reasonable money. But I'd try a good ground and run a new signal wire first.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 17th, 20, 8:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

One other thing I remembered just a moment ago when I was playing, there was a voltage difference between battery post to firewall bolt for engine strap was 12.6V and orange illumination light wire for tach and the tach housing ground was at 11.8V.

Probably a dozen places where the grounding is bad but any typical spots to check??

Thx,
D
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 20, 7:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Funny, my 71 chevy truck has a factory in dash tach. The 454 (and prior 402) had HEI, and that tach has always been way off, way high. I don't know why, just put up with it for 24 years now.

66 Malibu

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 19th, 20, 2:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
Funny, my 71 chevy truck has a factory in dash tach. The 454 (and prior 402) had HEI, and that tach has always been way off, way high. I don't know why, just put up with it for 24 years now.
On my original GM knee-knockers, there is an adjustment screw on the back (inside a hole in the housing). I once bought one that didn't work (so it was cheap). I hooked it up, and started turning the screw and it started working... Maybe your truck's tach has an adjustment screw?
427L88 likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 19th, 20, 4:02 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Other than what Tony said, you might send it to someone like Instrument Repair Service.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 19th, 20, 6:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'm still working on the diff, rear control arms, control arm bushings etc. so still no start since the diff repair started last week.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 10:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
On my original GM knee-knockers, there is an adjustment screw on the back (inside a hole in the housing). I once bought one that didn't work (so it was cheap). I hooked it up, and started turning the screw and it started working... Maybe your truck's tach has an adjustment screw?
I didn't check for that, years ago, I just looked to see if it might have some kind of 6 cyl/8 cyl switch or something.

66 Malibu

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in