Rarest 'Velles, For Curiosity - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old May 5th, 20, 2:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott

Talking Rarest 'Velles, For Curiosity

As the title states; what are the rarest Chevelles you know about? Any years or body styles. Rare for any reason. Only one ever produced in a particular, maybe ugly, color? Only one an unknown dealer built trying to get in on the Nickey and Motion train? Etc....

Though I have crawled thru here, google, and multiple books, in my mind there's always a treasure out there the general public, authors, etc do not know about. Not asking about the holy grails, most sought after, or the most valuable. Those have books and websites dedicated to them already. I'm more curious about the ones that 99% of Chevelle aficionodas can see at a show, and have no idea how special that car is compared to all the other Chevelles sitting around it.

Just curious. Thank you and have a Blessed day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old May 5th, 20, 6:45 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Re: Rarest 'Velles, For Curiosity

In 1970 they only made 18 Chevelle SS396s with L89 aluminum heads. In 1969 they made 400. In 1968 they may or may not exist, meaning very few if any.

1969 COPO 427 Chevelles were estimated to be 323, with 99 of those becoming Yenkos before being sold, leaving 224. Of those, 204 remained in the U.S and it is said that GM Canada brought in 20 to be sold new (I have personally heard details of 13 of the Canadian cars, both living & dead).

There was a unique ratchet-shift mechanism in a modified console offered in 1969, called the Sport Shift. It was only offered on solid lifter big blocks (L78 or L89) with the special TH400 trans. No idea how few were made, but I have never seen one. They looked like the regular staple-style console, but there was no shift map on the floor, it was still up in the dash.

Not especially desirable, but the base Chevelle 300-series convertibles sold in Canada 1965-66-67. They generally produced from less than 100 to less than 300 annually of each six-cylinder or V8 versions. For instance in 1967 they made only 96 with V8s.

Also super rare would be the Canada-only 1966 / 67 Chevelle Malibu SS convertibles, which were offered as 135-series with inline sixes or 136-series with V8s. The truncated-run of 1967 models offered the 396 as an option, but only ELEVEN were so equipped! Then the 138-series SS396 production got started in Canada towards the end of November 1966 and the Malibu SS was immediately dropped. There were only 50 Malibu SS convertibles with 396 power in the full run of 1966 models (499 coupes).

On the first generation Chevelles, only in 1964 could you get a 3rd row seat model. They used a unique fuel tank that can't be found anywhere.

Jumping ahead to 1974 models, the last year for the 454 4-speed combination, 140 base Malibu colonnade coupes came so equipped. In Canada they built 18 base Malibu colonnade coupes with LS4 / M21s.

Also worth noting, only in Canada could you get an L48 350 4-barrel (with dual exhausts & no smog pump) on 1974 Chevelles & Monte Carlos. After that the LM1 350 4-barrel was California-only (except for Canada!).

It is not known exactly how many 1973 Malibu wagons came together with the 1-year-only pairing with the Z15 SS option, but there weren't a lot.

I just remember, they produced Canadian Chevelles & Beaumonts with the L-79 high performance 327s for 1965 only. It was something between 30 to 40 of each were produced, with engines sourced from Flint, MI.
Dean, 71350SS, floyd66 and 9 others like this.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old May 5th, 20, 6:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott

Wow. Thanks. Never considered Canadian versions.

I have never heard of the Sport Shift in '69, or similiar. Have me some googling to do.

Thanks again.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old May 5th, 20, 9:21 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Donít forget the 201 1965 Z16 (396) Chevelle SS. And yes the possibility that there was 1 convertible.

The biggest problem facing America today is that lies are so widely accepted as truths.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old May 5th, 20, 9:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

The '69 AIM addresses the sport shift, I'll look for it later.
A '69 300 Post Sedan with the L78 is pretty rare, no numbers, but it's assumed to be more rare than the COPO. There's quite a few running around, but just a handful with documentations to back the claim.
I had one of the '73 SS wagons, but with a 350L48 auto....kinda wish I'd kept it, well kinda.
I did keep my '69 300 post sedan L78, and yes, it's documented, and getting to the finishing touches but this virus has kept my helper away. Tough to install a hood solo.
blue_69_malibu and shovelrick like this.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old May 5th, 20, 10:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Rarity? How about the fabled 365 horsepower 64 Chevelle?
Saltherring and aimhard like this.

Jon N. ~ What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old May 6th, 20, 6:54 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
In 1970 they only made 18 Chevelle SS396s with L89 aluminum heads. In 1969 they made 400. In 1968 they may or may not exist, meaning very few if any...
I have a buddy with one of those 18 engines. He's more of a Camaro guy, and will probably put it in a 69 he's restoring.

Last edited by davewho1; May 6th, 20 at 5:20 PM. Reason: fixed quote
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old May 6th, 20, 7:34 AM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
The L76 Corvette engine in a '64 Chevelle, I have heard of them, but like the Indian Rope Trick everybody's heard of it but nobody has witnessed it
It would be a great package for sure. In '64 I could definitely see Chevy slipping them out the door but denying their existence. Remember the racing ban that came down in 1963 that ended the Z-11, the Swiss Cheese S.D. Catalinas, and even forbade the use of engines larger than 327 in the intermediates. Delorean broke the rules but was given a pass when it translated into a burst of sales from the GTO.

"The more you know,

TC Gold #120

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old May 6th, 20, 7:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

From the famous or maybe infamous poster of "estimated " production numbers, my 70 LS5 SS TH400 convertible with cowl induction hood is one of 19 in all color combinations. When you narrow that down by color, being Cranberry, probably one of 16. It really is too bad that GM didn't keep better records.
Saltherring likes this.

70 LS5 convertible
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old May 6th, 20, 7:49 AM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
From the famous or maybe infamous poster of "estimated " production numbers, my 70 LS5 SS TH400 convertible with cowl induction hood is one of 19 in all color combinations. When you narrow that down by color, being Cranberry, probably one of 16. It really is too bad that GM didn't keep better records.
Yes, the LS5 was produced in numbers similar to the LS6 that year. Dan Carr did a great job estimating the production of various models & combos. They aren't absolute but it is a pretty credible job of trying to estimate. At least he has a plausible method.

GM cranked out so many vehicles every year, plus back then computers and storage were very expensive and were not at the point where they could archive whatever they wanted. It just was not justifiable or practical back then in the days of punched cards, paper tape & removable disk packs. The cars had horsepower but the computers, huge and expensive though they were, had very little computing power compared to today. Paper reports would fill a warehouse in short order so they archived certain stuff to microfiche to conserve space (at least that is what GM Canada did, thankfully).
12stones likes this.

"The more you know,

TC Gold #120

post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old May 6th, 20, 8:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I'd like to hear more on this "Snap Shift" option.. I wonder if the Hurst Autostick put it out of business. I know two local Chevrolet dealers were installing the Hurst Autostick I in there special performance option cars but this wasn't until 1970.. Yenko was one and Don Allen was another.. I think Nickey installed them too..
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old May 6th, 20, 8:40 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
So rare that there aren't any!

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old May 6th, 20, 9:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

How about a '67 L79 Sport Sedan (4 door hardtop). I know of at least two in existence, and I'm sure there were a few more. Same with any L79 or big-block wagon. Never really advertised, but could be ordered that way.
GSMCGSMC and 67since67 like this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old May 6th, 20, 9:53 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

How about the three door sedan.

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old May 6th, 20, 10:05 AM
Tech Team

I had a friend years ago who had a 71 Malibu with a 402 and 4 speed bench seat. numbers matching i couldn't come up with the cash to buy it. looked plain jane, i have never seen one since

rob

IF YOUR GOING TO BE DUMB YOU HAVE TO BE TOUGH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in