Rarest 'Velles, For Curiosity - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old May 8th, 20, 9:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott

Re: Rarest 'Velles, For Curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnalph View Post
So, this may not fully meet your criteria for rare, but my 70 Chevelle SS396 has some rarity to it. Most notably is the paint scheme- it is a true two tone car (D99) with a white (10) paint top, and gold (55) lower section, and stripes are white. Ive talked to the Chevrolet Heritage Center and they do not seem to have detailed numbers on exactly how many cars were built with various options, but they could tell me that less than 4% of 1970 Chevelles were built with a two-tone paint scheme. Ive had my car for 45 yrs now and I have seen only one like it, that is specifically with white and gold two tone. Ive seen a few other two-tones but not many at all. And in going to shows with it, people regularly tell me theyve never seen another one. Many people ask if it was originally a vinyl top and I can affirmatively say no since Ive had it for so long and I have the orig build sheets. Also, it is highly optioned. While not the red and black version seen in so many of the ads, it is a very nice and sharp looking car that Ive been proud to own. It is nice to have something a bit different.
This is what I was really asking for. Not that any of the rest of the comments are wrong, no sir. It is great to read about all of them. I can truly say, I have never seen your paint scheme anywhere either.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old May 10th, 20, 4:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

My car was 1 of 12 built with the M22 Rock Crusher transmission. It also had the L78 engine and 3.73 posi rearend with metallic brakes... But the drivetrain (except the rearend) was LONG GONE by the time I got the car in the mid-80's... It was "ridden hard and put away wet." I did find paperwork/documentation for the car, but that was back when I was a teen and didn't know or care much, especially since it was gutted and thrashed... I had some older "Corvette" guys help me decipher those papers, but back then, none of those guys knew how rare the M22 was in a Chevelle. However, over the course of 30+ years of moving, and my mother moving too (where much of my stuff was stored), I have not seen the paperwork since...

I am rebuilding it with a look of the original, or what I'd like to think it was (maybe Day-Two), like a factory race car adding things like heater delete and radio block-off panels, not installing the console, adding a cowl plenum air cleaner, etc) and some modern safety upgrades (dual master cylinder and radial tires) Its just gonna be a fun driver... I hope... When I got it, there was no heater or radio, but no factory block off plates either, just a sheet of aluminum on the firewall and where the heater control went (with lights and toggles), fiberglass buckets, no console, but I can see where the console brackets were chiseled from the floor...

My car was originally delivered (according to the NCRS documents) to a dealership in Pacifica California, just south of San Francisco. This was the closest Chevrolet dealership to the famous Half Moon Bay drag strip, so I like to think it was ordered purposely for duty at the racetrack... And I am rebuilding it with that in mind... I was even thinking that I have trophies from Half Moon Bay (my dad raced there for fun), but the plaques read "Tri-Counties Dragstrip" or something similar ( it was the name of the organization that owned the track)

My parents special ordered a '76 or 77 Malibu Classic wagon with buckets and a console. The order got kicked back once, but the dealership got the zone manager to push it through...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old May 10th, 20, 12:17 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
My car was 1 of 12 built with the M22 Rock Crusher transmission. It also had the L78 engine and 3.73 posi rearend with metallic brakes... But the drivetrain (except the rearend) was LONG GONE by the time I got the car in the mid-80's... It was "ridden hard and put away wet." I did find paperwork/documentation for the car, but that was back when I was a teen and didn't know or care much, especially since it was gutted and thrashed... I had some older "Corvette" guys help me decipher those papers, but back then, none of those guys knew how rare the M22 was in a Chevelle. However, over the course of 30+ years of moving, and my mother moving too (where much of my stuff was stored), I have not seen the paperwork since...

I am rebuilding it with a look of the original, or what I'd like to think it was (maybe Day-Two), like a factory race car adding things like heater delete and radio block-off panels, not installing the console, adding a cowl plenum air cleaner, etc) and some modern safety upgrades (dual master cylinder and radial tires) Its just gonna be a fun driver... I hope... When I got it, there was no heater or radio, but no factory block off plates either, just a sheet of aluminum on the firewall and where the heater control went (with lights and toggles), fiberglass buckets, no console, but I can see where the console brackets were chiseled from the floor...

My car was originally delivered (according to the NCRS documents) to a dealership in Pacifica California, just south of San Francisco. This was the closest Chevrolet dealership to the famous Half Moon Bay drag strip, so I like to think it was ordered purposely for duty at the racetrack... And I am rebuilding it with that in mind... I was even thinking that I have trophies from Half Moon Bay (my dad raced there for fun), but the plaques read "Tri-Counties Dragstrip" or something similar ( it was the name of the organization that owned the track)

My parents special ordered a '76 or 77 Malibu Classic wagon with buckets and a console. The order got kicked back once, but the dealership got the zone manager to push it through...
I like that you are going for the stripped-down racer theme, as it likely was was envisioned when your '66 was ordered. M22s in '66 Chevelles, that without question is a rarity. The cowl plenum intake sounds totally in sync with the intended purpose.

As for the swivel buckets in a G-3 wagon, it was a factory option on 1974 through 1976 Chevelle wagons (Malibu Classic 74-76, even base Malibu 74-75). Quite rare I'd say.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 5:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

How about a 67 Malibu Sport Sedan (4-dr hardtop) with a 327 and FACTORY 4-speed? I've got one of those!
Steve R likes this.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 7:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post

Dont forget Champion raceway, an 1/8th mile dragstrip located across highway 101 from Candlestick park where the transfer station now sits.

Steve R
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 8:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
How about a 67 Malibu Sport Sedan (4-dr hardtop) with a 327 and FACTORY 4-speed? I've got one of those!
Jeff the question is what 65-67 Chevelle DON'T you own?

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 8:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Fat Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72bluebu View Post
As the title states; what are the rarest Chevelles you know about? Any years or body styles. Rare for any reason. Only one ever produced in a particular, maybe ugly, color? Only one an unknown dealer built trying to get in on the Nickey and Motion train? Etc....

Though I have crawled thru here, google, and multiple books, in my mind there's always a treasure out there the general public, authors, etc do not know about. Not asking about the holy grails, most sought after, or the most valuable. Those have books and websites dedicated to them already. I'm more curious about the ones that 99% of Chevelle aficionodas can see at a show, and have no idea how special that car is compared to all the other Chevelles sitting around it.

Just curious. Thank you and have a Blessed day.
Z16 convertibles 😀

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself this isn't a Z16 convertible, Evening Orchid Camaro, or factory 1966 SS427 and get on with it.

post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 12:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Wasn't there a 1970 4 door with SS parts from the factory that someone found?

TC #0672
1972 SS 454 M22
"W " Code Midnight Bronze
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 20, 10:09 AM

1986 , Gtmo Bay , 1965 Arcadian , green ! Gtmo had a dragstrip Said was fastest car on the Island ! I tried to find the owner ! Said was a Jamaican ! My Company ( CCC Georgia) was the only shipping Company ! No problem getting it home ! Didn’t happen ! I believe this car is still there ! When a vehicle sits awhile, a forklift loads it on a flatbed and hauls to North of Marine Barricks junkyard ! It was amazing how many classics were there ! Plenty of parts and whole cars to choose from ! Marine and Navy Hot Rodders , go check it out !
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 20, 7:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott

Thanks all for all the answers. Enjoying my time chasing some of these online to see them!
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 8:18 PM
Tech Team
Brian

15+ years ago my father and I restored a real deal, matching #s 1967 El Camino L79 327. Buckets, console, knee knocker tack, power disc brakes, rallys, wood wheel, am/fm radio. It was red with black interior, M20, 3.31 12 bolt posi. That was one I wish he had kept. Last I knew, it was in Jax. FL

1972 SS 454 Chevelle - 468/M21/3.73
1969 Malibu L48/M20/3.31 -> L72 swap
1968 Malibu 307/PG -> LQ9/80E swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-CHVL View Post
How do you retire from something you rarely do?

Its like a welfare reciepiant saying there done working...
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 10:11 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpoor View Post
15+ years ago my father and I restored a real deal, matching #s 1967 El Camino L79 327. Buckets, console, knee knocker tack, power disc brakes, rallys, wood wheel, am/fm radio. It was red with black interior, M20, 3.31 12 bolt posi. That was one I wish he had kept. Last I knew, it was in Jax. FL
Knee-knocker tach in 67? Don't think so unless one has a very, very long left leg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rpou16only.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	631666  
Dean and RAIDER SS like this.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 10:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

1971 LS6 Chevelle. I think it's a unicorn, but every now and then someone will pop in and think they have one. I don't believe there was a 1971 LS6 car delivered from the factory.

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1063202
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 10:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

1971 and 1972 were the only production years for The Heavy Chevy Chevelle "RPO-YF3", of those cars produced very few came with the 402 as an option (LS4?). If I recall there were something like 19 documented 1971 Heavies with big blocks. Chime in DaleM? I have only seen 2 for sale (documented) and never seen one in person. But I do know where a 1972 Heavy with a 402 is.

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
1970 Chevelle 517 cid, TH400, best ET mid 9's. #19.
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 10:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joseph

Garage

There were very few 1972 Chevelle LS5 Convertible made.

Joseph
TC# 5427
ACES# 7460

1972 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 "W" Code Convertible
Sequoia Green White Top and Interior

1970 Chevelle SS 396 "L78" 4 Speed Coupe
Black with Black Bucket Interior

1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS6 Coupe
Forrest Green with Green Bucket Interior

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in