SS Bumper bolts - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 20, 6:37 PM Thread Starter

SS Bumper bolts

I came across an article from Hot Rod magazine about SS verification. One of the pics was showing the bumper bolts were different on a Malibu vs a Chevelle SS. I have a question for those that have a verified 70 SS. Are the bumper bolts flat looking or do they have a peaked look? Hot Rod says the flat ones were SS and the peaked were Malibu, but yet in the pics they showed it would be backwards from what they are saying. That's why I'm asking the question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 20, 7:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Re: SS Bumper bolts

I'm pretty sure that all Chevelles have the same bumper bolts, SS or not...

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 20, 7:43 PM Thread Starter

Here is the article. They say there are two different. Check out the pic. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/dont...0-chevelle-ss/

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 20, 7:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I noticed the old bumper bolts on my 71 Malibu seemed to be flat on the top of the crown so I replaced them with the same type.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 9:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

I am going out on a limb here and thinking GM had a few suppliers for bumper bolts and I think they are the same for a lot of cars and trucks. and each supplier might have a slightly different tooling that wears at different rates and would produce a different shape
Steve R and vortec710 like this.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 9:32 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclecarguy56 View Post
I came across an article from Hot Rod magazine about SS verification. One of the pics was showing the bumper bolts were different on a Malibu vs a Chevelle SS. I have a question for those that have a verified 70 SS. Are the bumper bolts flat looking or do they have a peaked look? Hot Rod says the flat ones were SS and the peaked were Malibu, but yet in the pics they showed it would be backwards from what they are saying. That's why I'm asking the question
I had to laugh at that ^.

SS bumper bolts
Non SS bumper bolts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 10:54 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

No its true about SS cars having different bumper bolts. They were made of higher strength steel because the SS cars had potential to gain higher speeds so if they hit something the bumpers wouldnt fly off because of the higher strength steel.

Seriously, I replaced my original (true SS car) bumper hardware several years ago when I had my original bumpers rechromed. I replaced them with hardware from AMK products and they were exactly the same as the originals. I expect different hardware suppliers to be a much more reasonable explanation.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 3:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

I call BS to Hot Rod and their 'expert' scribbler.

I sincerely doubt that the dedicated & notorious bean counters at GM would have approved of different bumper bolts for Super Sports.

Different suppliers as noted above seems more likely.
Steve R, 71350SS and vortec710 like this.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 4:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

I just looked and it says :Patrick G.Nichols--words : ??? Why wouldn't it say Written by ? I don't think I have ever read anything that says Blah B. Blah -words ??? it usually says authored by or written by but never someones name and then just words.
Well anyway Patrick G Nichols is that barn find guy who finds cars all over the place.I wonder if its really his article ?
davewho1 likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 6:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I don't believe there was a difference in the shape of the crown of the head either between a SS or Malibu. I looked on AMK's site and the bumper bolt kit they show for a Chevelle looks to have the flat on the crown but it dosen't specify it's for a SS or a Malibu. Sure it's not April 1st.
davewho1 likes this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

I sent Patrick a message and we will see what he has to say I guess. It does seem like it would not have been cost effective for two different bolts. Maybe it depends on what plant the car was assembled. We will see.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Ok to settle this here is word for word from Patrick. "I wrote the article. To clarify, all 70 Chevelles had the 1 in nearly flat stainless cap bumper bolts. The tall version isnít correct"
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 9:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Garage

If your down to the bumper bolts, to convince yourself or other people your car is an SS, your dreaming. Just enjoy the car that you have.
vortec710 likes this.

69SS Daytona yellow
L35, M-20, 3.73

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive

"Time treats everybody like a fool"
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 9:37 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclecarguy56 View Post
Ok to settle this here is word for word from Patrick. "I wrote the article. To clarify, all 70 Chevelles had the 1 in nearly flat stainless cap bumper bolts. The tall version isnít correct"

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 20, 3:06 PM Thread Starter

Cool Re: SS Bumper bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surmin69 View Post
If your down to the bumper bolts, to convince yourself or other people your car is an SS, your dreaming. Just enjoy the car that you have.
The article was misleading and inferring the SS had different bolts. I have never heard of that and was wondering why GM would do something not cost efficient. It might be good information for a restorer to make sure the bumper bolts are correct but I could care less. Bolts don't make a car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in