impact of "non-numbers" matching componet on a "numbers matching" car - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

8Likes
  • 2 Post By Georgia69
  • 3 Post By Alan F
  • 2 Post By Blue 69
  • 1 Post By NickeyChevelle

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 2:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
impact of "non-numbers" matching componet on a "numbers matching" car

i'm looking for some opinions/advice... I have a 1970 Chevelle SS with a numbers matching L34 engine numbers matching Transmission - and have I the build sheet. When i say "Numbers matching", i mean the VIN number on the block/tranny matches the body.

I'm in the middle of restoration, pulled my rear end out and during the clean up, found that it does not match the build sheet. The build sheet calls for a "CCF" 12 bolt, 3:31 ratio rear end... however what is installed is a "CKF" 12 bolt with a 3:55 ratio built in November (my car was built in May). There could be any number reasons that the rear end was changed out but at the end of the day, it doesn't match the build sheet.

so my question is: how much impact will this "non-matching" rear end have on the resale of my chevelle in the future? should i look to find a correct "CCF" rear end or is it inconsequential and should i just not worry about it and move on?

thank you for the time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 3:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Re: impact of "non-numbers" matching componet on a "numbers matching"

It probably affects value a tad, but if finding and rebuilding a CCF rear is difficult and expensive, I'd let the buyer make that decision if/when you sell, if I were in your shoes.
Steve R and Saltherring like this.

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 4:05 PM
Senior Tech Team

Maybe keep and ear out or do some searches now and then if you are wanting to get a correct one. On a 68 Chevy II Nova I bought, for some reason it has a 69 Camaro carb on it and I looked now and then in places and finally came across the correct date coded and part numbered carb for my setup and the price was right so I bought it. Once I rebuild it, I'll put it one the car and then it's one less thing to try and find.

On the external voltage regulator too on the same car, luckily it had the original one and came across the sale of a nice original,correctly dated for my car and bought it as a backup. Again the price was right.

If you find one great but it's how far you want to go with things AND at what cost.

Who knows you might be talking to someone socially and you happen to say you are looking for one and they reply that they have one and while this might be a stretch, maybe they don't want much or anything for it as they just want to see it go to a good home.

Jim

Always working on something:

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 4:23 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

The premise of numbers matching is to authenticate the legitimacy of the vehicle. In this case, it's not going to matter since both rear-ends would be standard fare for your car. The most important matching numbers are the VIN matched engine and transmission.

Matching numbers has a variety of connotations.
There's VIN match, date match, casting match and stamping matched. All matching numbers is the most pervasive in terms of supporting legitimacy. No matching numbers means nothing to legitimacy. Everything in between is variable.
davewho1, buenymayor and LeoP like this.

The biggest problem facing America today is that lies are so widely accepted as truths.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 4:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

If your asking than you are concerned by it. Find the correct rear with the correct casting dates etc. Not to hard to do or find. That is what i would do the engine and trans are correct why stop there?
roadster601 and Saltherring like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 5:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
lou

Send a message via AIM to roadster601

if its a thing for you get the correct unit there out there, why its different in the 70s our cars were quick it could have been raced and blew the rear, i had a 64 442 raced it one night the rear was all over the highway but i won lol, so as most members said the vin block trans are all good get another diff or leave it alone im sure you have other things to do have fun.....

lou
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 7:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

A buddy of mine has a '69 1/2 A12 Dodge Stupid Bee 440 Six Pack with a 4 speed. He got an amazing deal on the Bee despite it being all original (except for a warranty block). The Bee won a bunch of trophies at Dodge car shows -- the Bee was as close to a Number 1 car as you'll ever see at a cruise night. Over the years my buddy made absolutely no effort to maintain the numbers and or originality of the Bee. When something needs to be rebuilt, he simply replaces the part, without regard to number/originality.

Recently my Buddy had the Bee appraised for insurance coverage purposes. He was shocked at what the appraiser said about the Bee lacking originality. Not to mention that the appraiser (almost) cut the book value in half.

Numbers get the big money. Half of 125K is a significant amount to me.
IFLY likes this.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 1:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the feedback!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 1:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

I really don't think it will effect the price at all as long as its the correct rear and its mechanical sound.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 7:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

I agree with the guys who are advising you to keep your eyes open for a date consistent CCF rear axle. When I bought my '69 SS L78 car the original owner told me the car came from the factory with a 4.10 posi rear axle. KK coded '69 axles are hen's teeth I thought, but I ended up finding a housing with '69 posi carrier on craigslist within 40 miles of home, and at a very reasonable price too. It needed a bit of work but now I have to decide whether to replace the near new 3.73 set up that is in the car.

First Posted to TC as Ole Birkland in Feb 1999
Aces 3383
1969 Chevelle SS396, L78, M22, KK 4.10 posi, F41, Blue Light Stereo, Tilt Column, Burgundy/Maroon w/Red Stripe, Black Bench Seat, PS,
PDB, American Torque Thrust & BFG TA's, fully restored.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 2:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltherring View Post
I agree with the guys who are advising you to keep your eyes open for a date consistent CCF rear axle.
While I tend to agree with some others, and I would probably be looking for the CCF axle... Another part wants to play devil's advocate...

What is the big deal about matching numbers? Its a big deal because it supposedly proves originality ("they are only original once", etc). As was mentioned, many of these cars were raced, and parts were replaced or rebuild (think "decked" block). So finding one with all the original stuff is not too common. That's the main reason for the additional value. Name one other legitimate reason that "matching numbers" brings any more value...

Then figure that by finding and installing another CCF rearend, you are making people "think" that its the original rearend... Is it really any different than restamping an engine block? Its being done for the same reason, to make someone think that the part is THE original piece for that particular car.

And while it may seem harmless to some people, the ONLY people that are really going to look close enough at the rearend AND the built sheet (aside from yourself) are high-end show judges (on a lift), appraisers and most likely, prospective buyers... you are still applying a non-original part and "suggesting" its all original, and trying to figure how much extra value it will be worth...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in