Black area on hood underside - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 1:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Henrik

Garage
Black area on hood underside

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any diagrams or photos of the underside of a correctly black painted hood, just to see the outline of what is black?

Can't find anything Googling, not detailed enough anyway.

Thanks in adavnce.
Henrik

Cheers
Henrik Morsing

'89 Volvo 240GLT B230E/AW70
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu "Big Red" 350/TH350/3.42 Posi, 60" 2.15s - [email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Restoration blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 2:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Garage
Re: Black area on hood underside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo240GLT View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any diagrams or photos of the underside of a correctly black painted hood, just to see the outline of what is black?
Henrik, for all the years that I'm familiar with, the entire underside of the hood is painted black. What year are you asking about? Here is a pix of a '68 El Camino hood I repainted black.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood_0003.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	616444  

My 68
and my 68
. In 1968 I got my
66 Chevelle SS. 30 years later, I got my
. Both Chevelles are in the same location.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 2:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Henrik

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
Henrik, for all the years that I'm familiar with, the entire underside of the hood is painted black. What year are you asking about? Here is a pix of a '68 El Camino hood I repainted black.

Greg
Hi Greg,

Thanks, that's great. I was just thinking if it was right to the edge, it might show standing next to the car.

Cheers
Henrik Morsing

'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu "Big Red" 350/TH350/3.42 Posi, 60" 2.15s - [email protected]

- Restoration blog

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 8:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo240GLT View Post
I was just thinking if it was right to the edge, it might show standing next to the car.
Henrik, check out this thread. It may help.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/12-...side-hood.html

Greg

My 68
and my 68
. In 1968 I got my
66 Chevelle SS. 30 years later, I got my
. Both Chevelles are in the same location.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 9:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

My paint guy says over spray only works with single stage. He says if your doing 2stage, base coat then clear your better off masking at the seam where top skin overlaps lower skin. Originally single stage lacquer.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Unread Today, 9:16 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Henrik

Garage

Thanks both, very helpful (y)

Cheers
Henrik Morsing

- Restoration blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in