Team Chevelle banner

Correct Redline for '66 L34 tach?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  1966_L78 
#1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a knee knocker tachometer for my L34 (360 HP) car. I see a 5200 redline and a 5500 redline and a 7000 tachometer. Which redline is correct? It's a California car with A.I.R./HP designation.

Thanks

Jerry

#11 ·
The L78 tach is 6200 from what I'm finding...
I disagree... But I think it depends on the way people "look" at it...

My original, mint, unrestored L78 tach (been wrapped in a sock, stored in a box for 30+ years), the "redline" starts right at 6000 RPM...

Now, if one were to look at the center of the redline, even that is at 6100, and the redline ends at 6200 rpm...

Yellow line starts about 5700 rpm, and the yellow is noticeably thicker "paint" than the redline...

The interface between yellow and red is clearly AT 6000 rpm.

I am sure there are production tolerances, but I remember ALL my other tachs were the same (6000 redline for the L78s and 5500 for the L34s, I haven't had an L35 tach personally).

Attachments

#7 ·
I am interested in what you find, I tossed the tach out of my L34, it quit working years ago, I bought an after market one a couple of years back. Trashed the original one and then the reproduction one quit, so back looking again but if they only last a few years I’m not going to bother.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.