Team Chevelle banner

1970 chevelle ss speakers

4K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  roadster601 
#1 ·
hey all, on my 70 chevelle ss i installed a AM/FM mono radio all tested a ready to go, hook it all up nothing. has power good ground there is only one plug as the am/radio how about the antenna, so here is the questions where does all the speaker wires junction, there are 3 speakers 2 in the dash one rear right rear. are they up is it in the harness are the grounds separate are the main speaker separate, is it a 3 way connector??? any help would be great im going to look in the aim book and fisher book i figured this is easier again thanks

#4 ·
hey Dan thanks for getting back, thats my question is the harness separate for the speakers where would it be located taped in the main harness separate theirs power good ground nothing, how can the antenna wire be tested there nothing not even a hum
the radio is just been restored its a one year only radio

#5 ·
Proper impedance for those speakers is also important. Probably 8-10 ohms.

Most modern speakers are much lower impedance which will be tough on the final power transistor in your radio. It'll flow too much amperage through the back end of the radio because low impedance looks too much like a circuit short.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Just some trivia: If you DO NOT have a ( speaker LOAD) on the ( 1970-O.E.M.) radio and you turn it up while it is on, You will FRY the radio..................:surprise:, If the out put is 8-10 ohms, Yes you can go higher, BUT you cannot go LOWER !
A 16 ohm speaker will work on a 10 ohm radio. The old style transistor radios are easy to COOK!
Series & Parallel speaker wiring is VERY important.
Bob

#9 ·
hear is another question i tried as most suggested to turn radio on no thump move the fader its on the left side on this volumn radio knob 70 chevelles are one of a kind so i been told. radio has power, radio light, yes its separate i thought the speakers but all 3 are bad really?, i ordered the antenna lead wire form windshield to radio maybe its bad, a reason why i say this the am radio never worked either............ so any thoughts Ty all

#10 ·
My AM-only radio has pitifully bad reception inside of a building using my windshield antenna. Once outside, I can pick up several local stations and maybe 1-2 further away that are clear enough to be worthy of their own preset. Night time generally brings more but weaker choices because most of these stations go to lower transmit wattage at night. Propagation of signals is also somewhat better in this band at night.

Rick

#23 ·
-Make sure you have at least 8 ohm speakers... I have a brand new 6x9 8 to 10 ohm for sale..

-Once you get sound, remove the tuner knobs and get a small flat screw driver. You will see a small screw head at the 12 o'clock spot, turn the radio on to AM, look for a far away station that barely comes in. Now tune the screw in an out until you get that station to sound the best you can...
Most people have no idea how nice one of these radios sounds because they never tune the antenna in..

I have a inut jack soldered into my AM for my Ipod, sounds just right for what I need..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.