1970 chevelle ss speakers - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 9:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
lou

Send a message via AIM to roadster601
1970 chevelle ss speakers

hey all, on my 70 chevelle ss i installed a AM/FM mono radio all tested a ready to go, hook it all up nothing. has power good ground there is only one plug as the am/radio how about the antenna, so here is the questions where does all the speaker wires junction, there are 3 speakers 2 in the dash one rear right rear. are they up is it in the harness are the grounds separate are the main speaker separate, is it a 3 way connector??? any help would be great im going to look in the aim book and fisher book i figured this is easier again thanks

lou
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 10:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: 1970 chevelle ss speakers

Does your radio have the fader for the rear speaker? it would be on the shaft on the right side of the radio. Start with finding this out first. Does you radio have a speaker wire harness. The rear fader wire plug hook into this harness.
roadster601 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 10:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

If you do not have the proper harness, I would suggest you go to ebay and get the correct one. I see these on there quite often.
roadster601 likes this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealRed70 View Post
Does your radio have the fader for the rear speaker? it would be on the shaft on the right side of the radio. Start with finding this out first. Does you radio have a speaker wire harness. The rear fader wire plug hook into this harness.
hey Dan thanks for getting back, thats my question is the harness separate for the speakers where would it be located taped in the main harness separate theirs power good ground nothing, how can the antenna wire be tested there nothing not even a hum
the radio is just been restored its a one year only radio

lou
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 11:12 AM
Tech Team
Rick

Proper impedance for those speakers is also important. Probably 8-10 ohms.

Most modern speakers are much lower impedance which will be tough on the final power transistor in your radio. It'll flow too much amperage through the back end of the radio because low impedance looks too much like a circuit short.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
hydro462 and roadster601 like this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 2:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Just some trivia: If you DO NOT have a ( speaker LOAD) on the ( 1970-O.E.M.) radio and you turn it up while it is on, You will FRY the radio.................., If the out put is 8-10 ohms, Yes you can go higher, BUT you cannot go LOWER !
A 16 ohm speaker will work on a 10 ohm radio. The old style transistor radios are easy to COOK!
Series & Parallel speaker wiring is VERY important.
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 5:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

I should have a harness here that I can take a picture of tomorrow for you. It is a separate harness from the dash harness.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 7:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
lou

Quote:
I should have a harness here that I can take a picture of tomorrow for you. It is a separate harness from the dash harness.
hey Dan sure Ty

lou
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 8:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster601 View Post
hey all, on my 70 chevelle ss i installed a AM/FM mono radio all tested a ready to go, hook it all up nothing. has power good ground there is only one plug as the am/radio how about the antenna, so here is the questions where does all the speaker wires junction, there are 3 speakers 2 in the dash one rear right rear. are they up is it in the harness are the grounds separate are the main speaker separate, is it a 3 way connector??? any help would be great im going to look in the aim book and fisher book i figured this is easier again thanks
hear is another question i tried as most suggested to turn radio on no thump move the fader its on the left side on this volumn radio knob 70 chevelles are one of a kind so i been told. radio has power, radio light, yes its separate i thought the speakers but all 3 are bad really?, i ordered the antenna lead wire form windshield to radio maybe its bad, a reason why i say this the am radio never worked either............ so any thoughts Ty all

lou
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 10:00 PM
Tech Team
Rick

My AM-only radio has pitifully bad reception inside of a building using my windshield antenna. Once outside, I can pick up several local stations and maybe 1-2 further away that are clear enough to be worthy of their own preset. Night time generally brings more but weaker choices because most of these stations go to lower transmit wattage at night. Propagation of signals is also somewhat better in this band at night.

Rick
roadster601 likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 10:36 PM
Tech Team
Dave

AM/FM mono use a center mounted front speaker. Stereo units use two front speakers. Not sure if a factory front stereo harness will work with a mono radio.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25C 70 View Post
AM/FM mono use a center mounted front speaker. Stereo units use two front speakers. Not sure if a factory front stereo harness will work with a mono radio.
Dave my chevelle SS has two dash mounted original speakers and one right rear original speaker

lou
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 10:56 PM
Tech Team
Dave

My original mono AM/FM use one center front and one pass side rear speaker. The radio has a fader. Rear speaker is listed separate on my build sheet. Was you car originally equipped with stereo unit?

Last edited by 25C 70; Nov 12th, 19 at 11:20 PM.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 10:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

If his car has A/C it will have two speakers in front even though it is a mono radio. It will also have the one in the rear. The A/C center vent is in the same location as where a center speaker would be. You can not have A/C and a center speaker.
roadster601 likes this.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
lou

Quote:
If his car has A/C it will have two speakers in front even though it is a mono radio. It will also have the one in the rear. The A/C center vent is in the same location as where a center speaker would be. You can not have A/C and a center speaker.
yes dan it does have A/C ty

lou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in