Team Chevelle banner

Correct heater hose for 66

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  paul bell 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I don't think they were stamped GM, although that looks good. Only the short breather hose was stamped that way.

I think the larger heater hose is ribbed, similar to the power steering reservoir hose. That is, it is not ribber all around.

Here are a couple collected pictures
a picture from a car in 1966 ish and a Fremont L78 survivor

Attachments

#3 ·
I don't think they were stamped GM, although that looks good. Only the short breather hose was stamped that way.

I think the larger heater hose is ribbed, similar to the power steering reservoir hose. That is, it is not ribber all around.

Here are a couple collected pictures

a picture from a car in 1966 ish and a Fremont L78 survivor
Thanks Floyd, I see there is one vender now selling a non-stamp but with the ribs
hose.

#5 ·
This subject has been beaten to death in the past,just wondering how there can be so many correct or incorrect answers? Also noticed in the underhood 1966 ish picture a decal of some sort on the core support,coolant protection,battery cable info? This has also been discussed in the past,some say no decals and others say decals? Did it depend on the assembly plant? Lets see some real surviver car pictures and the assmbly plants they were built at.

#6 ·
Don, I've seen a few photos of the early 66 chevelles, some in magazines dated as early as Feb, 1966. They have the decal for the antifreeze. I have seen other sources that said where the cars were to be delivered determine whether it had the decal. Up to the Northern Michigan or Minnesota, the -20 decal. If the car was built for the canadian market in Ottawa CA, then it got the -34 decal. I also believe the some of the decals being produced today are a bit to large.

I plan to visit and old salvage yard out in SD when hunting this Jan. They probably have about 300 chevy cars stacked 3 high from the 60's. Maybe some may have the early hoses, if last licensed in the 70's.

#12 ·
So Bill is correct on 67 and what Heartbeat city sells as correct for 67-69 Camaro's would be correct for 66? https://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com...hevelle-Nova-Heater-Hoses-OE-Style-Ribbed-GM/

I would think that in 67 they used one smooth hose and one ribbed on the chevelle and from 67 to 69 they used two ribbed hoses that in 66 they would have used two smooth hoses as the transition was from smooth to ribbed. Just a thought.

#13 ·
#15 ·
In 1966 GM manufactured Chevelles in six different plants*.

I'm sure each of those plants received heater hose on bulk spools and it was cut to length as needed.

In 1966, 446,633 Chevrolet A-bodies were built*. If each car's heater hoses were 3 feet long, 1,339,899 feet of each diameter were installed into cars.

I'd be surprised if every plant received the exact same hose from the exact same supplier several times throughout the production year.

A ribbed hose might mean it came from Gates, non ribbed hose might mean it came from Goodyear.

This is why I'm not a restorer.

* from chevellestuff.net.

Reactions: Freddy Mercado
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.