Correct heater hose for 66 - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

7Likes
  • 1 Post By Greg P
  • 1 Post By Jim_66SS
  • 2 Post By bobm67
  • 3 Post By 67since67

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 19, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Correct heater hose for 66

Were these stamped GM? Were these ribbed? Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 19, 5:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom Lloyd

Garage
Re: Correct heater hose for 66

I don't think they were stamped GM, although that looks good. Only the short breather hose was stamped that way.

I think the larger heater hose is ribbed, similar to the power steering reservoir hose. That is, it is not ribber all around.

Here are a couple collected pictures
a picture from a car in 1966 ish and a Fremont L78 survivor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chevrolet_chevelle_ss_396_l34_hardtop_coupe_8.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	607426   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_1966Chevelle_0319.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	607428  

Tom Lloyd

take my advice, I'm not using it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 19, 6:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd66 View Post
I don't think they were stamped GM, although that looks good. Only the short breather hose was stamped that way.

I think the larger heater hose is ribbed, similar to the power steering reservoir hose. That is, it is not ribber all around.

Here are a couple collected pictures

Thanks Floyd, I see there is one vender now selling a non-stamp but with the ribs
hose.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 19, 6:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_66SS View Post
Were these stamped GM? Were these ribbed?
Jim, for '66, the larger 3/4" heater hose was stamped GM. The smaller hose was plain (no GM stamp). Neither hose was ribbed.

For '67, both hoses were plain and both were ribbed.

For '66 and '67, the heater hoses were secured using spring clamps.

Greg
RAIDER SS likes this.

My 68
and my 68
. In 1968 I got my
66 Chevelle SS. 30 years later, I got my
. Both Chevelles are in the same location.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 9:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Question Re: Correct heater hose for 66

This subject has been beaten to death in the past,just wondering how there can be so many correct or incorrect answers? Also noticed in the underhood 1966 ish picture a decal of some sort on the core support,coolant protection,battery cable info? This has also been discussed in the past,some say no decals and others say decals? Did it depend on the assembly plant? Lets see some real surviver car pictures and the assmbly plants they were built at.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 1:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B View Post
This subject has been beaten to death in the past,just wondering how there can be so many correct or incorrect answers? Also noticed in the underhood 1966 ish picture a decal of some sort on the core support,coolant protection,battery cable info? This has also been discussed in the past,some say no decals and others say decals? Did it depend on the assembly plant? Lets see some real surviver car pictures and the assmbly plants they were built at.
Don, I've seen a few photos of the early 66 chevelles, some in magazines dated as early as Feb, 1966. They have the decal for the antifreeze. I have seen other sources that said where the cars were to be delivered determine whether it had the decal. Up to the Northern Michigan or Minnesota, the -20 decal. If the car was built for the canadian market in Ottawa CA, then it got the -34 decal. I also believe the some of the decals being produced today are a bit to large.

I plan to visit and old salvage yard out in SD when hunting this Jan. They probably have about 300 chevy cars stacked 3 high from the 60's. Maybe some may have the early hoses, if last licensed in the 70's.
Don B likes this.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 3:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
bob

67 Atlanta 10D survivor, the big hose has the GM stamp and the other hose has 4 ribs and a space then 1 rib.
kiserk1 and Don B like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 8:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Looks like 66 may have been a transition year fron a non-ribbed hose to one with ribs.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 9:35 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Looks like 66 may have been a transition year fron a non-ribbed hose to one with ribs.
I don't think it is that simple. I have "back in the day" photos and contemporary magazine photos of 65 L79s and none have the GM stamp hoses.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 8:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill Wente

FWIW original hoses on a 03C Baltimore '67 SS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1112191815_1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	607694  
davewho1, bobm67 and Don B like this.

A few '67s and a '66
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 1:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd66 View Post
I don't think they were stamped GM, although that looks good. . . . I think the larger heater hose is ribbed, similar to the power steering reservoir hose. That is, it is not ribber all around. Here are a couple collected pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
Jim, for '66, the larger 3/4" heater hose was stamped GM. The smaller hose was plain (no GM stamp). Neither hose was ribbed.

For '67, both hoses were plain and both were ribbed.

For '66 and '67, the heater hoses were secured using spring clamps.

Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm67 View Post
67 Atlanta 10D survivor, the big hose has the GM stamp and the other hose has 4 ribs and a space then 1 rib.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67since67 View Post
FWIW original hoses on a 03C Baltimore '67 SS
Quote:
Were these stamped GM? Were these ribbed? Thanks
While this is hard for me to admit, after further research and posts on this thread, I was incorrect in some of my earlier response. FWIW, my understanding of '66 and '67 heater hoses is:

For '66, No GM logo stamp on either hose. I believe that both hoses were ribbed.

For '67, The larger hose had the GM + box logo and was smooth. The smaller hose was ribbed and had no logo.

Greg

My 68
and my 68
. In 1968 I got my
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 6:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

So Bill is correct on 67 and what Heartbeat city sells as correct for 67-69 Camaro's would be correct for 66? https://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/...yle-Ribbed-GM/

I would think that in 67 they used one smooth hose and one ribbed on the chevelle and from 67 to 69 they used two ribbed hoses that in 66 they would have used two smooth hoses as the transition was from smooth to ribbed. Just a thought.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 19, 9:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
So Bill is correct on 67 and what Heartbeat city sells as correct for 67-69 Camaro's would be correct for 66? https://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/...yle-Ribbed-GM/
I agree with your statement as it applies to a '66 Chevelle. It appears to me that the hose set from Heartbeat City may be correct for a '67 Camaro, but wouldn't be for a '67 Chevelle.

Greg

My 68
and my 68
. In 1968 I got my
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Today, 1:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

I have a original 66 El Camino 327 and both Hoses are ribbed if that helps

TB
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Today, 8:05 AM
Senior Tech Team

In 1966 GM manufactured Chevelles in six different plants*.

I'm sure each of those plants received heater hose on bulk spools and it was cut to length as needed.

In 1966, 446,633 Chevrolet A-bodies were built*. If each car's heater hoses were 3 feet long, 1,339,899 feet of each diameter were installed into cars.

I'd be surprised if every plant received the exact same hose from the exact same supplier several times throughout the production year.

A ribbed hose might mean it came from Gates, non ribbed hose might mean it came from Goodyear.

This is why I'm not a restorer.

* from chevellestuff.net.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in