Trunk drain plugs - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

8Likes
  • 1 Post By Cam
  • 3 Post By Rich-L79
  • 1 Post By 69SS454
  • 1 Post By NickeyChevelle
  • 1 Post By jeffschevelle
  • 1 Post By paul bell

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 9:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lou

Trunk drain plugs

Hi,

On my 65 Chevelle there are two rubber drain plugs in the trunk that I need to replace. Would anyone happen to know if these were installed before or after the splatter paint was applied. Minor detail but it can make a difference on the look. The existing were hard and brittle and did not appear to have any coating on them.

Thanks,

Lou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 4:06 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Re: Trunk drain plugs

So many of these cars have been redone, finding an unmolested car to study is difficult. I believe the plugs were in place when the trunk was painted.

I have a '67 with original paint in the trunk (although I had to have the trunk side sections replaced). My rubber plugs seemed to have the remnants of some paint. My car was built in Oshawa with a body-coloured trunk, so possibly the painting process timing was done differently at other plants due to spatter paint. Also the rubber seems to shed the paint over time, leading us to see unpainted plugs or plugs stained with some kind of white paint or primer.

If I'm wrong, somebody please jump in and correct me. I'll bet Jeff Helms knows for sure.
1943MB likes this.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 4:11 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

If I had to guess, I'd say the rubber plugs were NOT painted. I've never seen any evidence of any kind of paint on plugs from a car that hasn't been messed with. The metal plugs YES are painted, rubber plugs are not. That's been my observation. However, I will admit that most of the untouched cars I'm referring to were pretty rough. At the end of the day, those plugs are covered by the trunk mat anyway so leaving them bare rubber will never really be seen and if you find out later they should be painted they could very easily be touched up to have paint.

In general, I've never seen any original rubber or plastic plugs in one of these cars that appeared to be painted by the factory. And if you think about it, you wouldn't want a plug in place before painting as the plug would cover raw metal that would quickly corrode as the plug would help hold moisture against bare metal.
HKalin, boyd66k20 and 1943MB like this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings

Last edited by Rich-L79; Nov 8th, 19 at 4:32 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 4:36 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

The cleaning dip would not drain too well if the drain plugs were installed. No one would touch a car from the time it gets dip cleaned until it comes out of the body line with paint on it. At least this is what I have witnessed in the current auto plants. I assume it would be similar in the 60's and 70's.
1943MB likes this.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 6:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1943MB View Post
Hi,

On my 65 Chevelle there are two rubber drain plugs in the trunk that I need to replace. Would anyone happen to know if these were installed before or after the splatter paint was applied. Minor detail but it can make a difference on the look. The existing were hard and brittle and did not appear to have any coating on them.

Thanks,

Lou
Here's an interesting video from 1970 showing (jump ahead to 16:30) the painting process on a 1970 Monte Carlo. Maybe it will give you an answer...

Based on this 1970 video, I'd guess NO the plugs came later. When the painted body is dropped onto the frame those workers down in the pit are doing more then bolting in the body bolts, I'd assume that is when the plugs went in... At least in 1970.
1943MB likes this.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 9:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

It depends on which plant the car was built at. Some of them put the rubber plugs in the trunk before spatter, others after spatter. Which plant was your car built at?
1943MB likes this.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 11:19 PM
Senior Tech Team

Camaros had the seals installed after the primer was baked in before painting the body.

CRG Research Report - Camaro Assembly Process
1943MB likes this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 19, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
It depends on which plant the car was built at. Some of them put the rubber plugs in the trunk before spatter, others after spatter. Which plant was your car built at?

The Atlanta,Ga. plant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in