master cylinder - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 19, 8:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
lou

Send a message via AIM to roadster601
master cylinder

hello all i have a 1970 chevelle SS trying to get the correct master cylinder for it, any ideas and where can i get one searched EBAY nothing, there is a aftermarket master in there now. had put a correct 11 inch booster in with delco moraine tag on side, pedal seemed low any ideas on pedal height when applied any help is good Ty

lou
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 19, 9:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
lou

Re: master cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster601 View Post
hello all i have a 1970 chevelle ss trying to get the correct master cylinder for it, any ideas and where can i get one searched ebay nothing, there is a aftermarket master in there now. Had put a correct 11 inch booster in with delco moraine tag on side, pedal seemed low any ideas on pedal height when applied any help is good ty
is there a part # for the master ty

lou
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 19, 9:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
hello all i have a 1970 chevelle SS trying to get the correct master cylinder for it, any ideas and where can i get one searched EBAY nothing, there is a aftermarket master in there now. had put a correct 11 inch booster in with delco moraine tag on side, pedal seemed low any ideas on pedal height when applied any help is good Ty
The 70 big block master cylinder is a one year only item. They are very rare and hard to find. Should you find one - there is a small machined area at the front on the MC. On this pad will be two BB in capital letters.
Should you find one - they are easily rebuilt
roadster601 likes this.

1970 Astro Blue SS396 L34

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 19, 9:18 PM
Tech Team
Dave

The depth of the hole in the rear of the cylinder needs the correct length plunger. This can be different from year to year.
shovelrick and roadster601 like this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 19, 9:06 AM
Gold Member

Part number 5470409 is cast into the bottom of the MC.
roadster601 likes this.

1970 Astro Blue SS396 L34
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Halpin View Post
Part number 5470409 is cast into the bottom of the MC.
hello i been reading the early chevelles my car Feb used round master with bleeders,later chevelles used the 409 which is rectangle what do i do, Ty again

lou
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 1:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

I would put back whatever MC is on there right now.BTW, what MC is on there right now ?
One other thing,are you sure you need a new MC ? If "pedal height" is your only concern with no leakage from the MC and pedal does not drop completely to the floor then maybe your problem is something else ?
Brake pedal height with a disc/drum system is largely dependent on the rear brakes being adjusted correctly.That includes the brake shoes and the parking brake cable adjustment.When was the last time you checked the rear brakes ?
roadster601 likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 19, 1:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
I would put back whatever MC is on there right now.BTW, what MC is on there right now ?
One other thing,are you sure you need a new MC ? If "pedal height" is your only concern with no leakage from the MC and pedal does not drop completely to the floor then maybe your problem is something else ?
Brake pedal height with a disc/drum system is largely dependent on the rear brakes being adjusted correctly.That includes the brake shoes and the parking brake cable adjustment.When was the last time you checked the rear brakes ?
i know

lou
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 19, 7:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
last week i checked rears all good fronts good as i asked i have read early 70 chevelles used a round master cylinder with bleeders am i correct, my car is a Feb car.pedal height is about 2 inches off the floor pedal depressed
the master that was on there was leaking by plunger, so the 409 master is a later master rectangular unit.

lou
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 1:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25C 70 View Post
The depth of the hole in the rear of the cylinder needs the correct length plunger. This can be different from year to year.
so for my 70 chevelle would you have the answer

lou
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 1:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
lou

Quote:
hello again does anyone know whats correct for my 1970 SS Feb car round or rectangular master cylinder

lou
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 2:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

This looks correct. The price is reasonable.
https://www.camarocentral.com/1970_1...p/brc-432b.htm

70 LS5 convertible
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 2:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
This looks correct. The price is reasonable.
https://www.camarocentral.com/1970_1...p/brc-432b.htm
my question is being a early chevelle would it use a round master

lou
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 2:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/35-...er-1970-a.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=corr...iw=864&bih=405

February car built in what plant?
roadster601 likes this.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

Last edited by davewho1; Oct 9th, 19 at 2:33 PM. Reason: added info
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 19, 3:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
lou

Baltimore thanks dave
davewho1 likes this.

lou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in