Hood Springs for a hood with mirrors - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

5Likes
  • 4 Post By DaleM
  • 1 Post By toofastforyou

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 3:50 PM Thread Starter

Hood Springs for a hood with mirrors

I'm new to the forum and need info on a 68 Chevelle I just purchased. The owner before me put mirrors into the hood so folks can see the engine better. Problem is, it makes the hood to heavy for standard springs. I'm not sure if the springs are too old or are not strong enough. Before I invest in a new pair of chrome springs, just wanted to find out if anyone has had the same issue and how you solved it. The stick under the hood trick is not doing it for me. Thanks in advanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 4:48 PM
Team Member
Lyle

Re: Hood Springs for a hood with mirrors

Stiffer springs runs the risk of buckling the hood. If I had to have mirrors attached to the hood,
I think I would install hydraulics.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 19, 5:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I bought brand new GM Hood Springs not repros for my car that were supposed to be for a cowl hood. They seemed worse than what was in there. Sometimes the hood stays up and sometimes it dosen't just like the originals did. I bought one of those adjustable length hood prop rods but just didn't like the looks of it. What I did was I raised the hood as far up as it would go and on the passenger side hood hinge I found a spot where it overlapped 2 legs of the hinge. I drilled a 1/4" hole through both legs and use one of those straight pins that has a ring on it to grab to pull it out. Works good you just have to remember to pull the pin out before you close the hood.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 12:30 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

I used hood pins drilled through the hinge. I had a little different issue with a 4-inch cowl hood, it tended to not stay up with lighter springs. Very few people even noticed they were there when the hood was up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P0000354.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	603448  
David Bates, LeoP, HKalin and 1 others like this.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 19, 1:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Hey DALE!
The drilled hood hinge............... I was at a cruise and it started to RAIN. A car had a pin in the hinge, So a " Nice Guy ", Walking by,,, was going to do someone a favor, A guy grabbed the hood (that had the hinge pin ), WOW that was a major " OH $h!t " moment for the Mr. " nice guy ".
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 9:40 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
Hey DALE!
The drilled hood hinge............... I was at a cruise and it started to RAIN. A car had a pin in the hinge, So a " Nice Guy ", Walking by,,, was going to do someone a favor, A guy grabbed the hood (that had the hinge pin ), WOW that was a major " OH $h!t " moment for the Mr. " nice guy ".
Bob
Oooooooooo, Understand his intentions, but you still don't touch someone else's car, perfect reason why. Just proper car show/cruise etiquette. Poor guy.

Chris
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 19, 10:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Dale, I have something similat to you but with some billet hinges. The hood shocks on these aftermarket hinges are too weak and barely hold the hood up so I had my friend drill a hole on one of the hinges so I can put in a stainless steel "safety pin" just to make sure the hood won't fall down on anyone's hands at a show…
The first pic shows the hole which my friend drilled…and the second pic shows the safety pin inserted in the hole.

Claude.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5872.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	603620   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5874.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	603622  
HKalin likes this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in