Looks like there we 2 front eng wire harness in 66 which do you have? - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Looks like there we 2 front eng wire harness in 66 which do you have?

I only see one design when searching the Internet; but discovering a different one in some Nov & dec 65 builds. Main difference in there being 1 or 2 large wires going to horn relay/alternator at the rad support junction box. These are in addition to the wire going to the battery + posy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5390D338-FE67-40FD-B1A1-D778341A01B5.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	602178   Click image for larger version

Name:	6E278D44-1D57-4989-B570-61F04DD59E3C.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	602180  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 2:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Re: Looks like there we 2 front eng wire harness in 66 which do you ha

I thought one was for a warning light dash and the other for a gauge package dash
davewho1 likes this.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 2:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb View Post
I thought one was for a warning light dash and the other for a gauge package dash
AC vs non AC? Terry

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 3:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68-13427 View Post
AC vs non AC? Terry
I think AC got a separate harness all together

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 8:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Maybe people could post photos of their junction box and horn relay hook up.

When adding the U16 gauge package there is no mention in the of any different front generator/light harness. However there is a diagrams of how to hook up the horn relay (why) and what looks like 3 or 4 wires and looks different then the horn relay hook up in UPC 12 A6 which looks like 2 or 3 wires. So thinking there were two different harness because of the extra wire for the ammeter.

However the generator front light harness looks to be a production GEN &FWD light harness. Save terminology in then UPC 12 section.

The question I have is if there were two different production GEN & FWD Lamp harnesses used in 66 and thus two different wiring schematics.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 9:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

Quote:
Correct - if we are discussing the forward LIGHTING harness. One for gauges and one for dummy lights.

I mistakenly acquired one for lights, & I need one for gauges. The difference is the ammeter wiring, IIRC - they do not interchange. Anybody wanna swap?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Junction block, September 2, 2019.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	602222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Voltage regulator and horn relay layout 6-7-2012 004.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	602224  
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thats what mine looks like Dave at the junction box. On you horn relay I see the wire for the ammeter gauge; but don't see where the Red wire is connected unless it is hidden behind the ammeter wire. If it is, that it is exactly my harness and the other one I have.

It has come to my attention since yesterday, that the front harness was a production item, I have found a few part numbers. One for all V8's with gauges and one for all V8's with out gauges. The same for the 6 cylinder.

Now the dileima of the other Red wire from the junction box to the horn relay. I have some information that it was a stand alone wire and not included in the harness. I have no information on when or when not to use it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BA46F0CD-CD53-42E2-8284-0B7367F3ABAE.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	602268   Click image for larger version

Name:	BFFC273A-B1A9-4E4E-B5ED-CCEF472F14CD.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	602270  

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
I think AC got a separate harness all together

Thinking there was a single wire harness from horn relay with a fuse that was added when you had aC

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 10:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_66SS View Post
Thats what mine looks like Dave at the junction box. On you horn relay I see the wire for the ammeter gauge; but don't see where the Red wire is connected unless it is hidden behind the ammeter wire. If it is, that it is exactly my harness and the other one I have.

It has come to my attention since yesterday, that the front harness was a production item, I have found a few part numbers. One for all V8's with gauges and one for all V8's with out gauges. The same for the 6 cylinder.

Now the dileima of the other Red wire from the junction box to the horn relay. I have some information that it was a stand alone wire and not included in the harness. I have no information on when or when not to use it.
The 10 ga red wire is the shunt wire for the gauge. The amp gauge uses the resistance in that wire to show a reading on the gauge. It might make sense that is was an add on wire to the harness because it was only needed in cars with the amp gauge.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-...-location.html
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 9:22 PM
Ron

Send a message via AIM to RSRon Send a message via MSN to RSRon Send a message via Yahoo to RSRon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_66SS View Post

Now the dileima of the other Red wire from the junction box to the horn relay. I have some information that it was a stand alone wire and not included in the harness. I have no information on when or when not to use it.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/Chevelles_2016/smilies/tango_face_sad.png[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/Chevelles_2016/smilies/tango_face_sad.png[/IMG]
The 10 ga red wire is the shunt wire for the gauge. The amp gauge uses the resistance in that wire to show a reading on the gauge. It might make sense that is was an add on wire to the harness because it was only needed in cars with the amp gauge.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-...-location.html
I have same issues on my 66 harnesses
I have multiple harnesses that came with my project. I think the extra wires come from junction block, black wire and horn relay, black/dark blue/white.
Following chassis manual diagram it appears they would be for factory gauges. The bulkhead plug with extra wires has 10 pins and the other has 8 for idiot lights
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 20, 10:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSRon View Post
I have same issues on my 66 harnesses
I have multiple harnesses that came with my project. I think the extra wires come from junction block, black wire and horn relay, black/dark blue/white.
Following chassis manual diagram it appears they would be for factory gauges. The bulkhead plug with extra wires has 10 pins and the other has 8 for idiot lights

Sounds like you've got it figured out.

One of the extra wires goes to the horn relay and another to the junction block on the rad support near the battery. These wires are the lead wires between the amp gauge and the shunt. The shunt is the extra 10 gauge wire that runs between the horn relay and the junction block. The gauge reads the difference in voltage from each end of this wire. That difference is displayed as a charge or discharge on the gauge.

If it's still foggy, this thread may help. https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-...-location.html
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 2:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
...If it's still foggy, this thread may help. https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-...-location.html
Which thread?

That's a link to the whole Electrical & Wiring forum.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 2:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewho1 View Post
Which thread?

That's a link to the whole Electrical & Wiring forum.
He'll find it there.

This is the tread I meant to ink.......https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-...-location.html
davewho1 likes this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

It is my understanding there is no extra 10R gauge wire from the junction box to the horn relay in the Harness. The is always a 10R gauge wire in the harness from the junction box to the split in the harness where everything comes together. In a harness with factory gauges there is also an extra 14B cage wire from the junction box the the fuse box to the ammeter gauge if you have the gauge package. Thus different part numbers for the different harness depending upon factory gauges vs lights. There is also a 14 B/Blue/W striped wire from the ammeter gauge to fuse box, to the horn relay.

The extra 12R wire in all the diagrams is a mistake in most application. If There is this extra 12 R wire from the junction box directly to the horn relay. It is a stand alone wire and is not included any any FWD wiring harness in 1966.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 20, 9:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

There is no "loose" wire running from battery cable junction block to horn relay in a factory forward lamp harness. All the wires that pass by the radiator are taped into the harness together.

Gauge harnesses have an extra black wire that goes to the battery cable junction block, and an extra black with white stripe wire that goes to the horn relay (or vice versa, I may have them backwards). They occupy the bottom two holes in the plug that attaches to the fuse block and (as noted above) feed the ammeter. That is the only difference between a gauge and non-gauge forward lamp harness.

TI ignition had some strange wiring. Maybe you have some remnants of some of that?? Or just a harness that someone has monkeyed with in the past!

Good luck!
davewho1 likes this.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in