1967 F70 option - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 1:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

1967 F70 option

Hi.I have a 67 Non ss with alot of options one being,the F70 option and have all 5 original DG rallys.wanting to know the paint codes for the back of rims.Looks like dove grey? First timer here and any help would be great.4- 10- 67 Fremont Car
427L88 likes this.

TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 7:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Re: 1967 F70 option

the rally wheels where DIPPED in primer black bath then sprayed argent silver on the outside with over spray though the slots. large runs and sags are to be seen
Freddy Mercado likes this.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 8:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Tell us more about your car please... How did it come equipped?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Sport Sedan (project)

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 3:19 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

Thanks Keith but,Years ago i had the rims sandblasted "mistake" and still not painted them and now ready.They ere all original to the car along with the beauty rings and I still have the Spare with F70 goodyear redline tire and it is still the original Grey on the back like the other 4 were and the silver on the front.Could That be only on 67 Rims as they were different shape and the first year of rallys.I also have a 68 with disc brakes and know argent silver over black with mist through the holes would be correct.Just want my 67 to be totally correct and maybe my car and or rims might help others find whats correct for 67 rally paint colors or just throw a Monkey wrench into the whole thing.Has anyone seen or head of rallys with factory Grey paint on back of rallys ?

TB
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 4:07 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

Iv'e had the car for 30 years bought from original owner and t came from FH dailey of Oakland built in Fremont second week of April .No SS it's a 136 car, Sierra Fawn with Black vinyl Top.A/C P/S With power disc brakes and F70 due to the DG rims? correct me if im wrong.327 Powerglide car with original black int,buckets, console,Delux wheel,AM/FM with rear speaker,Delux seat belts,Remote Mirror and I guess its a lighting packege with lights down by my feet and in Glove box.Kind of strange that its a 327 car with the rear frame braces and Has all the original Dual
Exhaust pipes,mufflers and Little mufflers tucked in the rear quarter panels? Never seen that on a small block car.Anyone ?

TB
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 6:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlyboysinc View Post
Iv'e had the car for 30 years bought from original owner and t came from FH dailey of Oakland built in Fremont second week of April .No SS it's a 136 car, Sierra Fawn with Black vinyl Top.A/C P/S With power disc brakes and F70 due to the DG rims? correct me if im wrong.327 Powerglide car with original black int,buckets, console,Delux wheel,AM/FM with rear speaker,Delux seat belts,Remote Mirror and I guess its a lighting packege with lights down by my feet and in Glove box.Kind of strange that its a 327 car with the rear frame braces and Has all the original Dual
Exhaust pipes,mufflers and Little mufflers tucked in the rear quarter panels? Never seen that on a small block car.Anyone ?

Todd, you have a great car. Does it have a 12 bolt rear end? Can you post some pictures, we would love to see the car.

Bob
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 9:51 AM
Tech Team

soundslike someone wanted an SS but didn't want the big block so ordered everything but.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 11:04 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Disc brakes (RPO J50) would come with 14 x 5 rally wheels stamped "DA" - the SS396 would get the 14 x 6 rally wheels stamped "DG". Your F70 red line tires would be an additional option (RPO PW8) on a Malibu - disc brakes or not. It is possible the assembly plant just put the wrong wheels on the car for the J50 disc brakes and hence the "correct" F70 red stripe tires for the DG wheels. Both 1966 and 1967 283 & 327 Chevelles would come with resonators (#3878305 LH/#3878306 RH) when RPO N10 dual exhaust was ordered. Many aftermarket suppliers like Walker, Maremont, et al. would sell replacement tailpipes without the resonators. As for the frame braces, those were originally designed for the SS396 Chevelles but I've seen them on a lot of non-SS396 Chevelles as well.

Wish I could say whether the back of the wheels were sprayed the same as the front but I'm not certain. I've only seen one that I can remember and the back was painted black. I can contact a couple of 66/67 gurus and find out though.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 19, 1:54 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Ok, here's what I've gathered. I'm only reporting what a well known 66/67 collector has found:
Quote:
Most of them have black (e-coat looking) primer on the entire wheel, with silver paint on front only, with very little overspray through the holes.

However, some west coast produced wheels were light machinery gray on the back. My survivor 67 Camaro (Los Angeles built) has DG’s with gray on the back. There are posts on the Camaro forum alleging the gray backed wheels were all service replacement wheels, but this car is 39K mile unrestored with the original non-DOT spare tire still in place, so they are apparently wrong. Another guy posted with a LOS Camaro with gray original wheels and they argued with him. I posted pics of mine, and no one replied in opposition …

So I would assume (but have no proof) that a Fremont Chevelle would have the gray backed wheels too.

And the color is not Argent Silver as everyone says it is. (At least not what Argent Silver looks like if you buy it today). On my El Camino we matched the original spare from the Camaro, and it ended up being a 50/50 mixture of Argent Silver and Pewter metallic to be a dead match.
Hope this helps.
LeoP and davewho1 like this.

* Author:

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 4:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

it's a 10 car and yes original owner said he Lives in Oakland and had a Nice Mustang "if there is such a thing" and it was stolen so he Didn't was SS Badges on this one.In 1968 he took it back to the dealer and had a M22 installed with a 68 console that surprisingly fits and looks factory if you didn't know any better. 1969 he pulled the vinyl top because he thought it would rust around back window and im glad he did because window area is nice and trunk is in Great shape "original jack parts are Grey except hallow shaft" and he had the Disc brake caps stolen that year Too. Put about 20k miles on it back in the Day A/C still blows cold and now has just over 94K miles on it now.Going to put the powerglide back in and have most the correct parts.

TB
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 4:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

Dale Thanks For the Help.I thought that when you ordered the j50 you would get 14x5 rims and when ordering j50 along with F70 option you would automaticly get the 14x6 DG rims.Still have the little tire pressure sticker on the glove box if that part number tells anything ? when i got the car it had 15x8 rally on it and had a 5 DG rallys in the trunk along with what he said were the original rings for the car. Did camaro and Chevelle have different 14" rings or the same and do you know if 14x5 are any different than 14x6 ? here are a few pics of rim

TB
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 10:33 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

I don't really have the time to research the parts book but a quick glance shows several for Camaros. Be aware that in 1968 rally wheels did become a regular production option but caps, rings, etc. were different. I'd suggest looking at this DVD's parts book section for GM part numbers.
https://www.chevellecd.net/products/cds/manuals.htm

* Author:

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 19, 11:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill Wente

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlyboysinc View Post
Did camaro and Chevelle have different 14" rings or the same and do you know if 14x5 are any different than 14x6 ?
'67 Chevelle rings are different than Camaro. Chevelle rings have a hole for the valve stem, whereas Camaro is a slot. DG and DA use the same ring.
In '67 they were referred to as "Disc Brake Wheels" because they were standard with the disc brake option but not available as a separate option. Disc brake only.

You have an interesting Chevelle!
davewho1 likes this.

A few '67s and a '66
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 19, 1:15 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

Thanks Dale.I also Have a 68 That I wanted to ask you about.New to the sight and not sure if this is the place to ask you about IT.it to has disc brakes and other options.I AM XB on this car a early Fremont car 10-10-67 .SS L34 M21 12 bolt Tilt,8 Track cordovan maroon with black vinyl top ect 70K original Paint,int ect.I do have A Hard to find original 8 track bracket To share as well.

TB
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 19, 1:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Todd

Bill Thank you Too.I have a few original sets of 14" rings.One Set has the Inner clips with a Hole in the Ring I Think They are from my 68 D/B Chevelle with XB rally ? and Three Sets that Have what I think is 67 14" rings with 4 outside clips just Like a Real 15x8 ring would Have,BUT Two sets Go To A Point at the top with open ends and the other Two sets are Rounded with open ends.Tried to put up pics yesterday of The spare red line DG with Grey backside, But I can Build Commercial Building,Kitchens,custom Homes ,Bikes and just about anything else but Can't seem to attach pictures.I will get it by tomorrow.Correct me if im wrong.You would only get a DG rim if a F70 option was ordered.Keep in mind im not a SS or 396. Is There such thing as a small block COPO Chevelle It seems like it has alot more Than the 275HP as advertised.Ok Thanks and not sure if thats for another fourm ?

TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in